Home

BMW Motorcycle deer hit..... UPDATE

Posted By: Finster

BMW Motorcycle deer hit..... UPDATE - 10/08/19 05:16 PM

DEER! Darn Field carp! I was out in Illinois last week riding into work at 5AM. A doe came running out of the bean field, hit the front fork of my bike, rolled down the side, hit my leg and did at least $1000 worth of damage in parts. The insurance adjuster just left and said the labor will probably double that. So It's looking like at least $2000 if the shop doesn't find anything else wrong (oh and it's a dealer so I'm sure they will.) 2 Good things are that I didn't get hurt and I didn't lay the bike down. Not bad for hitting one at about 50 MPH. No deductible. Soo at least, for the moment, I am free and clear. Here are a few pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:22 PM

You're very lucky not to have been hurt bad
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:22 PM

in 2017 we shot 3 deer opening weekend 2/3 already had injuries from car hits the 3rd had already been hit by a slug on another property in front leg at the knee joint.

when we drive down into ILL the deer on the side of the road dead are thick. it is as bad as driving near Madison. not nearly enough hunting pressure.
Posted By: #11

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:26 PM

Apparently no one told you, you don't ride a motorcycle in rural Illinios in the dark, for that very reason. That is considered suicidal for both the rider and the deer in this part of the country. Glad u weren't hurt.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:36 PM

I just hit one last night in my pickup coming back from my daughters. It was on a suicide pact and came out right now. Luckily, no damage.
Posted By: k snow

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:37 PM

Had one hit yesterday morning right in front of the house. Getting to be that time of the year.
Posted By: PBS

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 05:48 PM

The nerve of that deer.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 06:00 PM

And where do you think the CWD scare is coming from? Ins.

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
You're very lucky not to have been hurt bad

Yup, it was a bit dicey for a few seconds. Luckily, I saw her coming at the last few tenths of a second and had time to make a decision on how to handle it. Seems I made the right choice since collision was going to be unavoidable. It is amazing how may thoughts, options and decisions can be made in a split second and how long that time feels. I literally had, at best a half a second to figure out what I was going to do. I could swerve left, swerve right or brake hard. I chose brake hard and I think had I chosen anything else, I would have dropped the bike, gotten high sided or been put into a tail spin by a hit on the back tire.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 09:14 PM

glad you weren't hurt,didn't know bmw made mopeds though.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 09:25 PM

grin
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 09:59 PM

With a Harley that would have amounted to 30 bucks of damage unless you hit the loudspeaker that goes Kartoffel Kartoffel Kartoffel after ya turn the key. That would total one of them and run the tab right up to 120 bucks.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 10:00 PM

Ohh and did the estimate include replacing the now ruined seat and undies ?? Glad you are ok though.
Posted By: 7887mm08

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 10:08 PM

Better go buy a lottery ticket! Glad your ok!
Posted By: adam m

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 10:30 PM

man you are lucky. Glad you are ok

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
With a Harley that would have amounted to 30 bucks of damage unless you hit the loudspeaker that goes Kartoffel Kartoffel Kartoffel after ya turn the key. That would total one of them and run the tab right up to 120 bucks.

Yes and I agree. However, This bike was moving unlike a typical Harley that some love to park or push along the road. wink
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/08/19 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
DEER! Darn Field carp! I was out in Illinois last week riding into work at 5AM. A doe came running out of the bean field, hit the front fork of my bike, rolled down the side, hit my leg and did at least $1000 worth of damage in parts. The insurance adjuster just left and said the labor will probably double that. So It's looking like at least $2000 if the shop doesn't find anything else wrong (oh and it's a dealer so I'm sure they will.) 2 Good things are that I didn't get hurt and I didn't lay the bike down. Not bad for hitting one at about 50 MPH. No deductible. Soo at least, for the moment, I am free and clear. Here are a few pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Use the truck next time! Glad you are not hurt.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 12:49 AM

I think in Michigan last year there were 50,000 car deer accidents. That is BS in my book. Let shut down the buck season and have a doe season only.
You will have more and bigger bucks the following year. If there are still to many accidents shoot two does. JMO
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 11:23 AM

Well You
Had a Guardian Angel
Posted By: Pike River

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
I think in Michigan last year there were 50,000 car deer accidents. That is BS in my book. Let shut down the buck season and have a doe season only.
You will have more and bigger bucks the following year. If there are still to many accidents shoot two does. JMO

Careful now you might trigger some who "suffered" during the EAB days here in WI.
Posted By: k snow

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River

Careful now you might trigger some who "suffered" during the EAB days here in WI.

Had to watch a 14 pointer walk 15 yards away from me opening morning (gun) during the EAB daze. I remember those opening mornings sounding like war zones.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 05:55 PM

shoot em all - they are delicious

glad you walked away from that one with just a little bike work needing done.
Might be cheaper if you just purchased a new bike thats not bmw

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 05:57 PM

Bambi Made Wheelie
Posted By: Getting There

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 07:56 PM

BMW, bring more money grin

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/09/19 10:16 PM

BMW, bring more money grin

Ummm…. wouldn't that be BMM? How about "Bring More Wallet"?

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/11/19 02:04 PM

Well, the BMW estimate is $3030 so far and that isn't even covering paint! This is real close to being totaled. Naturally, the insurance adjuster is on vacation until Tuesday! mad Figures!
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/11/19 03:24 PM

Nice bike!!

I hit a deer with my BMW, a car tho.
The headlight (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)'y cost $1250.
Drivers front fender was wrecked too.

I fixed the rest for $75!

Found a used fender in the same color in junkyard and swapped it myself.
Left all the other minor damage, you have to look to find it.

Est. from body shop was 5K

Cost me a little over $1300 to fix it.

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/11/19 05:16 PM

bet i've saw a dozen leafers buzz through on them today.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/11/19 05:49 PM

(leafers) that's funny laugh
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: There's a reason they get shot on sight! PICS - 10/11/19 09:37 PM

Too me a second to figure out what leafers were.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums