Home

Bounty pay?

Posted By: cci

Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 12:29 AM

How much should i charge for a bounty on coyotes killing livestock? Thats IF i accept it. Charge any money for just showing up the first time?
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 01:10 AM

Are you talking about taking on an ADC job?
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 02:17 AM

If they will pay you should get paid for setting your traps and you should get paid for each critter you catch. Around here its hard to get people to pay even if they are losing livestock, or having places flooded from beaver and such.

However its pretty easy to get someone to pay to catch a den of skunks from under their house! Especially when the wife was the one raising sand about it.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Possum Man
Around here its hard to get people to pay even if they are losing livestock, or having places flooded from beaver and such.

However its pretty easy to get someone to pay to catch a den of skunks from under their house!

This sounds like the way it is in my county.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 05:28 PM

Most of the time, they want you to trap them out an split the fur check with them!
Posted By: red webb

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/09/19 05:38 PM

200 set up 100 for each coyote
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 02:50 AM

Look at it as basic economics.
a)What will it cost them in loss of livestock if they do nothing. They should be able to know what they have lost in past years.
b)What will it cost you to reduce their losses or solve their problem completely.
c)What do you want in terms of pay over and above your expenses?

Add b+c and subtract from a.
If that number is a positive number by a large margin, it will make sense to the guy to have you trap for him.

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by red webb

That much? The guy has an add in the paper and just says will pay bounty

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 02:06 PM

I dont know you or your skill set as a coyote trapper but the first question I have is do you think you can do the job or do you know you can do the job. Second have you called the number from the paper to see what he wants done and if someone has already tried to kill them. It is not usually an easy thing to follow someone else that may have educated them or at the very least put them on high alert.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
I dont know you or your skill set as a coyote trapper but the first question I have is do you think you can do the job or do you know you can do the job. Second have you called the number from the paper to see what he wants done and if someone has already tried to kill them. It is not usually an easy thing to follow someone else that may have educated them or at the very least put them on high alert.

X2
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 04:16 PM

might not be that many coyotes. everybody with a cow calf operation or a dairy will tell you they are infested. often that is not the case. charge whatever you think is a fair days wages for every day your there plus per mile for your pickup, plus any other expenses you may have. like bait lure urine or any missing traps.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 04:25 PM

If you are not damage control licensed and insured this could bite you, tell them you will trap in fur season for exclusive permission to the grounds and possibly others.

Gifts like fuel, meat, milk, firewood etc are ok.

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter

Been trapping for 45 plus years. I try to avoid catching coyotes when i fox trap by trap placement and other tricks and i still catch more than i like. If somebody has been there ahead of me i wont go.

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 05:49 PM

I think between Danny and 52Carl that's the best place to start. Seems like it's time to call the landowner. Good luck. Let us know if it works out.

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 06:58 PM

Thanks everybody.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Bounty pay? - 10/10/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cci
Originally Posted by red webb

That much? The guy has an add in the paper and just says will pay bounty

There is a saying that, "The customer is always right." It is a valid saying with one caveat. It is up to you to provide him the information in order for him to be "right".
"Pay Bounty" needs be replaced in his mind with the economics approach which I posted above. Then he will be "right".
© 2024 Trapperman Forums