Home

Swiveled rebar

Posted By: AJE

Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 01:58 AM

I saw this at a show.
Anyone ever use 1 like this for staking?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tjm

Re: Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 02:42 AM

That is going to be an inch or two under ground, more if staked under the trap, a swivel there won't do me any good. It would serve as a picket pin if left above grade.
Better to connect two rebar stakes with 5-7 links of chain and use a universal swivel off the center link. Still the only swivels that won't get jammed are within a few inches of the trap itself, swivels at the stake end get fouled pretty quick especially in grass.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 04:16 AM

Kind of what I was thinking too.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 11:17 AM

I used to use the flat stake swivels with the J hook on them. Put the rebar through them and pound it into the trap bed below the trap. I never had much trouble with them fouling. Since coyotes started showing up on my line I switched to double stake swivels, the type with the J hook in the center. I use them in the same way, pound them down in the bed and set the trap over them. I never had any trouble with those fouling either, except when set in grass or debris as mentioned above. After the first catch, that is no longer a problem.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 12:08 PM

I have used 3/4" washers with a hole drilled in the outer ring to accept a J-hook as a stake swivel for years. I never found that they ever fouled up on me. I always run a pretty short chain, 12" or so with one mid-chain swivel. Caught many hundreds if not thousands of critters with this setup.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Swiveled rebar - 10/09/19 01:05 PM

I always just put a crunchproof swivel at the end of the chain. 1/2” rebar fits just right through it. If I want to cross stake just add another swivel to the same chain link. Always worked good for me, and swivels are cheap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums