Home

Who's burning wood?

Posted By: run

Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:17 PM

I am burning ash right now. Any other fire wood enthusiasts on here?
Posted By: Kre

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:23 PM

I burn, but it hasn't been cold enough yet.
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:25 PM

I run ash and hackberry in my barrel stove for shop heat. They burn fairly similar I think the hackberry takes longer to season. This reminds me I need to dump a bunch of ashes before I fire it up next.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:32 PM

I made a couple at the farm this week. My wife likes a fire all day but she's not the one splitting wood.

Mostly chestnut, but some beech and birch mixed in.

Pete
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:32 PM

Broad leaf maple is up to bat, oak, hickory and cherry on deck. Boat load of pine from ice storm last fall.

Trying to find someone to help with chimney work.
I'm thinking those people are extinct.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:37 PM

not yet...but mostly oak and locust
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:39 PM

Not yet, but will be Oak, Ash, hard and soft maple.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:42 PM

We burn wood here. I usually have mostly red oak, with soft (red) maple and birch thrown in. We, like most of the Great Lakes area, have a BUNCH of ash in our area that needs cutting. We are far enough north in Michigan that we have no hickory, but family downstate burn it on a regular basis. I have elm on the place that I will cut when it croaks, but only if it isn't too big.....I hate splitting elm with a maul.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:51 PM

Ash everywhere here, dead from the borers. The farmer across the road has 40 plus acres of ash bottom and every tree is dead on it. Add to that the wood from the tornado that ripped through the county a year ago, and we have more wood than we know what to do with right now.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:54 PM

I burn all my ash that the borers killed(all of them)and walnut tops from logging. Not cold enough for a fire yet so I just burn a few papers in morning.. Been burning wood for 50 yrs....
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 01:59 PM

We burn in a fireplace, not a wood stove, and mostly just for ambiance, not heat, though it is nice and warm to sit by it.. We've had a few fires already. My wood is whatever I can scavenge for free, so for now it's cottonwood from a tree at church and some unknown tree from the neighbor's yard, plus a small amount of oak and ash that I grabbed from the curb from some storm damage.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:07 PM

Thought about it this morning, grabbed a long sleeve shirt. Would have been Quakie.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:13 PM

Oak and maple mostly. Little bit of river burch in there
Posted By: charles

I used to burn carpet and flooring.
Posted By: grapestomper

I lit the outdoor burner on Saturday.
It was 32 here yesterday.
Burn lots of poplar, maple, oak and whatever i can get my hands on.
Free is the best.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:22 PM

The flooding here makes it rough to get to much of my wood supply but I'm picking up mostly ash and elm here.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:28 PM

I burn wood in my cabin. Electric heat for a back up. Have burned wood for probably the last 40 or so years. Had a couple wood tank heaters for my livestock before we went to all waterers. Used to throw a barrel in the pond or creek just to keep a hole open for the cows when I used to pasture stalks in the winter. Usually set up a wall tent down in one of the family creek bottoms for the winter. Have a wood stove in there. And we burn wood and old oil in a stove at the family farm shop. Usually burn oak, mulberry, locust, and ash. Some hackberry or what ever else we cut down around the fields and pasture fences. Wood is the one fuel that warms U several times. Cutting, loadind\g, splitting, stacking, carry to the stove, Then the last time, actually heating your place you hang your hat!!
Posted By: 080808

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:41 PM

Not burning but soon. Hard Maple and hickory this year. Just finished getting 17 face cord in the cellar. 12 cord behind the sugar house. Up here a face cord is the length of an individual piece then a stack 4 ft hi and 8 ft long. Where I grew up that would be 1/3 of a standard cord.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 02:43 PM

Been burning wood for as long as I can remember.
Have a big pile of ash,oak and junk wood for the boiler. BUT hard to beat $ 1.25 propane. Buy the time I add the cost up on wood's Free heat the wood can wait until deep winter -10 to -30 below then it pays.
I will only have a fire in late December though February.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 03:09 PM

hard maple cherry and oak here,between what i sell and ours i'll do over 100 face cord this year.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 03:09 PM

We have a fireplace and an outdoor wood furnace. We burn all kinds of wood. Oak locust hackberry elm hedge cherry mulberry ash even toss a little walnut in when we cut one down. We’re not picky we burn it all!
Posted By: coyote_hunter

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 03:35 PM

That hackberry takes forever to season, good wood when it’s dry. I have a boiler and we burn mostly ash and oak.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 03:37 PM

[Linked Image]

Have started a few fires early evening to take the chill off. Burn poplar now but will add oak and maple when the snow flies! Pull in air from outside for combustion as the unit circulates air via a fan to nicely warm our home!

Chris
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 03:42 PM

I haven’t fired up the wood master yet, I’ll burn 6-8 cord a year, maple, oak, birch, ash, and even some pine or hemlock mixed in. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood, by hand or with the splitter-usually the birch.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 04:08 PM

I fired up the woodstove one day last week when overnight temps were in the 30s. At the wife’s request. Burning mostly ash now, will get into the oak and hard maple later in the season.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 04:31 PM

Been burning a fire for almost a month now. 100% lodgepole pine. Got an honest foot of snow last night, so I suspect the stove will not go out for another 7 months. Weather-guessers are predicting temps in the single digits for the next few days. Ahh, trapping season. Guess I better put another log on the fire and chain up the truck to check the early fox sets up on the mountain.

Jack
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 04:41 PM

Lit the boiler last Friday. We had all the windows open last night due to the smell of water in our basement. I cant wait for more rain/snow the next few days. Our basement hasn't had water in it since the late 80s when they put storm drains in town.

We even put the plow on the truck last night and winterized the camper..... now we just need to mow the yard one last time tonight before winter.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 04:44 PM

I burn , but no need yet still warm.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 05:03 PM

I heat with wood, Mostly Oak/walnut, but not yet, and am thinking it's close to time, highs in the 50's/60's this week. When you turn 70, you get mighty stingy with the chunks! LOL
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 05:23 PM

I burn any wood that I can get in my wood furnace except Osage orange , or black locust. I know a guy that put to much Osage in his furnace and almost had a melt down.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 05:38 PM

Probably light up the wood stove tomorrow, supposed to cool off.

I burn Cottonwood early fall and spring also off and on during winter. Elm, Ash, Maple, Locust and Mulberry during real cold snaps.
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 07:25 PM

I burn wood. Found a spot with plenty oak, cherry and hickory. The ash trees that's fell around her are not good anymore. I like blending the ash.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 07:44 PM

American Beech, Hard and Soft Maple, Black Cherry and Yellow Birch. Been burning the last few days.
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 09:02 PM

If I have to cut it locusts or ash cherry. But if it's cut and all I have to do is split I'll burn any wood.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 09:12 PM

Honey locust, red elm, ash, and mulberry. It’s getting close. I cut and split year round so I never have to worry about running short. Cutting and hand splitting is also one of my favorite therapeutic get a ways. When life throws a curve ball, I cut, split and stack until I’ve worked all the problems out for the day.
Posted By: IdahoRoger

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 09:18 PM

Ponderosa pine, just threw a few small logs in the wood stove. Warmin' up some left over chille on the stove too.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/09/19 10:37 PM

Mostly oak unless something else falls in the field or across a fence. I very seldom cut wood to get wood. Just a sideline of keeping the farm up,but I only burn about 5 pickup loads in the garage/shop.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 12:30 AM

Anything that's dry. Not a wood snob. It all burns if dry.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:01 AM

Will fire up tomorrow,..mostly poplar/aspen on the fore-front,..oak,maple through the rough months.
Posted By: Tyler D

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:08 AM

Ash oak and elm here. I have 33 acres and it seems like there is always enough down and dead trees each year to keep me in wood. There's no better heat than wood heat!
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:28 AM

There's no better heat than wood heat!

You have that right!,...coming in from a full day of duck hunting,..wind,cold rain or snow,..that wood burner feels great!
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:31 AM

I burn about every hard wood in Pa. at both home and camp. I keep a rack of hickory for when the really cold days hit. That’s my high octane wood.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:48 AM

I average about 8 full cord here a year between the outdoor boiler and the fireplace.
It is a lot of work but I enjoy it.
Got to do something to try and stay fit. I put on a lot of foot miles at my job but wood cutting finds a few extra muscle groups. lol

Zim
Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:52 AM

[Linked Image]
I just installed this old girl in, have not had time to hook up the blower..... it’s in the basement and don’t know if I’ll even have to hook up the ducts.... ran it the other night when it was 35 degrees out.... had it 75 up stairs... time will tell....
Posted By: Btoutdoors

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 02:07 AM

I burn a lot of mesquite for cooking. First fire for heat will be Friday after the cold front hits. I use a combo of pecan and mesquite.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 02:18 AM

I burn wood in the outdoor woodstove. Started a fire a few days ago just to warm up the house then let it go out. Burn mostly beech with some cherry, maple, ash and even quite a bit of spruce at times.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bulldozerjoe
[Linked Image]
I just installed this old girl in, have not had time to hook up the blower..... it’s in the basement and don’t know if I’ll even have to hook up the ducts.... ran it the other night when it was 35 degrees out.... had it 75 up stairs... time will tell....

My fathers house was set up like that. We heated the furnace in he basement. Through a hole in the floor we heated the first floor. Right above the hole was two more holes that heated the two bedrooms in the upper.

The "basement" was tiny though. 5 feet high and probably 12x12 and field stone walls.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 03:30 AM

I have an outdoor wood boiler. I also built my house without a heating system since I had no mortgage and built paycheck to paycheck then a small $20k loan to finish it. Been 30 yrs burning wood and only wood. But I know I will have to put some kind of indoor heating system eventually.
Posted By: Stan Z

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 06:24 AM

9 cords of white spruce and white birch on a normal winter. It's all that's available here in interior Alaska. Almost all in the main house but some in my small shop.
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 10:44 AM

Been burning the last few dead ash I found standing this spring with a cherry log or two for flavor. The wood stove is my homes main heat source.. between house and syrup cooker 8-9 face cord for a season

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 10:51 AM

The measurements we use here are full cords..face cords are more for selling wood in this part of country...im on par with wm,about 4 cords a yr in a tight house and its my only heat. Needless to say I dont measure my wood,,my winter supply is always my dead or downed wood and I have enough yearly to get by...I even gave away 7 truckloads of walnut tops this fall.
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 11:22 AM

Funny you mentioned the measuring deal.. most folks around don’t have clue there is a difference between face or full cord... I bartered some last year so out of curiosity I measured what I had for a pile.

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Walleyemike
Funny you mentioned the measuring deal.. most folks around don’t have clue there is a difference between face or full cord... I bartered some last year so out of curiosity I measured what I had for a pile.

good idea mike smile

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 11:50 AM

I see I have a few red elm dead now.....ill cut them today.....they burn like coal. HOT
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:20 PM

Tamarack, black and white ash here, but mostly tamarack. 8 pulp cords per year. Nobody up here measures in face cords because it takes 3 times as many.

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:21 PM

grin
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:28 PM

Still too warm here... But I need to get all the prep work done so I'll be ready for that first cold day.

Usually burn red oak and ash.

Mike
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:46 PM

I burn wood for heat. Have a conventional heating system as a backup.

I haven't started a fire yet.

Our house is very well insulated and very air tight so a night in the '30's doesn't drop the temps inside the house if the house is 70 during the day.

At this time of the year running the oven, and other house hold appliance that produce any heat are enough to keep it in the low '70's. Just having People in the house puts heat in the house.

I have a masonry heater, takes about 2 weeks to get it up to normal heat. One of the downsides.
But once its up and going I only use 3 cords of wood to heat a 2700 sq ft house all winter.
The heat is more even and there isn't the excessive heat that there is sometimes with a woodstove.

I burn only very good hardwoods, mostly Shagbark Hickory, Sugar Maple and Ironwood. Woods with less BTU require more fires which mean more work and more firewood.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:57 PM

We go through about 4 cord for primary heat. Baseboard electric hardly takes the chill out of this old farm house so we don't use it. Have 3 cord of black locust that was split 3 or 4 years ago for this winter. Built 1 fire so far to cook the stink bugs out of the stove and pipe. Have some nubs and stubs to burn to take chill out of house if needed, until we start burning 24/7.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 01:59 PM

Dirty D if your house is that tight I hope you an HRV unit to exhaust the house air and bring in fresh air. I just inspected a house a few weeks back timber frame with stress skin panel. I checked the Carbon Dioxide levels and they were extremely high for a residence 1200 ppm. Should have been 400-600 or 1000 for commercial building. Sealed up houses without fresh air and ventilation systems that have the proper maintenance ( cleaning filters and intake and exhaust hoods are a health hazard.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 02:39 PM

I've had a few small fires in the boiler over the past two weeks. Just enough to keep the boiler water warm enough to take the chill off.

I burn whatever hardwood that comes to the top of the pile. It is all stuff that gets dropped off by urban tree services Pretty much in order of quantity are:
  • Cottonwood
  • Maple
  • Ash
  • Boxelder
  • Birch, both white & river
  • Oak
  • Misc
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 05:16 PM

What brand of stove are you burning Stan are do you have a home made stove?
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 05:19 PM

Anybody using Blaze king with the catalytic burners? That's what I burn but my ceramic catalytic is really busted up. Burning mainly drift wood this time of year. Once I shift to standing dry in the winter im thinking of getting a stainless steel catalytic. Anyone have any experience with those?

My stove at the trapping camp is an old hot water tank.

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 05:30 PM

have burnt a lot of hickory with poplar.hickory must dry at least 2 yrs and poplar not more than 3 months.great team like that though.
Posted By: EVtrapper

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 09:05 PM

Still too warm to start burning here. But when I do it’s usually ash, cherry and some oak.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 09:13 PM

Just started last weekend. Birch, maple, and ash.

Osky
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 09:46 PM

Muskrat, my cousin uses a blaze king and swapped to a stainless cat...not sure of the reason but he says he likes it better.
I burn mostly spruce and birch but also just about anything I can get my hands on. I have an englander with a forced air duct ducted to about half the cabin. Burns a 24” log. I go through 5-8 cord depending on temps.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/10/19 10:25 PM

I started a rocket stove build summer before last. I need to get it finished. I used to heat with coal until the furnace gave out. I heat with propane now and am not real impressed with it. When I get the rocket stove done, it will go in the basement and the floor will be warm again.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/11/19 01:17 AM

Wife had wood stove burning when I got home from work tonight

burning hackberry now, this winter will burn oak, hackberry, ash low in the 30s next few nights
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/11/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by bowhunterks
Wife had wood stove burning when I got home from work tonight

burning hackberry now, this winter will burn oak, hackberry, ash low in the 30s next few nights

I always thought hackberry was kind of a crap wood, turns out if you get it at just the right time and don’t let it sit too long, it actually makes a heck of a nice fire
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/11/19 01:57 AM

I cut my hackberry in the winter, split it and let cure then burn next winter it burns good.
Posted By: Farmdog

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/11/19 03:02 PM

Had a couple evening fires but fairly warm here still. I'm burning mostly locust with a good amount of ash, black birch, sugar maple, and hickory.

Black birch has really risen to the top of my list the past few years as well as sugar maple. Both are clean, split nice, and kick BTUs as high as locust, oak or hickory. I love the locust heat but it is dirty and can be tough to split. Like the hickory too but really don't like splitting it at all. Oak seasons a little slow for my liking, but love the heat. Wish I had more access to black birch instead of all the oak, maple, locust and ash. Ash everywhere, but dangerous dropping with overhead limbs coming down and I've had a couple split up the middle on me.

Burn around 5 cords and hand split all. I definitely get warmed up a few times by it.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Who's burning wood? - 10/11/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by vermontster
Dirty D if your house is that tight I hope you an HRV unit to exhaust the house air and bring in fresh air. I just inspected a house a few weeks back timber frame with stress skin panel. I checked the Carbon Dioxide levels and they were extremely high for a residence 1200 ppm. Should have been 400-600 or 1000 for commercial building. Sealed up houses without fresh air and ventilation systems that have the proper maintenance ( cleaning filters and intake and exhaust hoods are a health hazard.

ERV
© 2024 Trapperman Forums