Home

What do you do, to prepare for winter

Posted By: Catch22

What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 07:00 PM

I am doing more then normal this year as my spidey sense lol, is telling me we might have a hard winter. I'm replacing the wick and igniter in my kerosene heater and filling cans. Got some lamp oil and batteries. Gonna put in some extra water and food. What, if anything do you do?
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 07:06 PM

Well down here i might have to break out a long sleeve shirt sometime in january maybe. Might even have to put pants on instead of shorts.
Posted By: Bob

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 07:15 PM

I’m just pretty much always ready for winter, since our seasons go winter, still winter, almost not winter, kinda summer, winter again lol at least it seems that way.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 07:18 PM

top off the fuel oil tank

clean up the yard and get garden out and all tools and equipment put away

open the bins containing all my cold weather close and replace the contents with my shorts I obviously need several bins to hold winter during the summer and only one to hold the summer.

clean up truck and get anything that will freeze out and ready for hunting season

make sure while I am doing leaves anything that is going to get caught in the snow blower is away

storm windows

turn off outside water

I just cleaned the chimney last spring so no need to do that
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 07:25 PM

Cut enough wood to last a couples weeks and put it inside by the furnace so I don't have to go outside to get it.
Make sure all my grass is mowed back from the driveway and all of the fence is fixed so nothing gets out.
Put the blade on the tractor and make sure the driveway is graded good before it starts to freeze.
Fill the freezer
Make sure the horses have enough feed and hay for a month and their water troughs are clean.
Pick up all of the hoses and drain them and blow out some of the lines so water doesn't freeze them.
Pick up any buckets and feed trays and anything else that will get covered with snow and hid till spring.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:06 PM

i'm back to wearing shoes again
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:10 PM

Pre paid 500 gallons of propane $1.18 a gallon as wood is hard to get with the flooding we have going on now will burn what we have for wood then let the LP take over then.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:24 PM

During the Winter, I try to always keep a minimum of two weeks of corn and bagged feed for all my animals, on hand, but prefer to keep closer to 1 months worth of feed. I go through a few hundred pounds a day so it's a lot to store. I like to have enough hay to last until May 15th. I need to buy a whole lot of hay as soon as I can afford it. Hay will be scarce and expensive in my area this Winter.

Keith
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:46 PM

Eat a bunch more than I should !
Posted By: corky

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:49 PM

Pull pier, pull boat lift, till garden, rake leaves, change oil in tiller and mower, make sure snowblowers and generator work, clean gutters, winterize boat and take in boat batteries.................. Seems endless.

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 08:50 PM

[Linked Image]

Here's one of my oh crap lights lol.
Posted By: run

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 09:17 PM

Haul and split some firewood.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 10:02 PM

Have been cleaning up the yard but when I got to the left over shingles from the summer roof job my back did not last. Will there is next week .
Posted By: white marlin

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
[Linked Image]

Here's one of my oh crap lights lol.

got a couple, just like that!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 10:16 PM

Sit on my butt and wait for the closing on the property is what I apparently do to prepare for winter. Fingers crossed it will happen next Thursday. Then the race is on. I am 3 month behind in my planning because people with paperwork got in the way and put the brakes on things.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 10:54 PM

Prepare for winter? We never had summer here, just a warm winter.

Check winter pasture fence that gets smashed down by deer chased by hunters. Move the livestock, put in a 7 month supply of feed for everything from us, the cats to livestock. Vehicles tuned up, garden harvested which we just spent three days doing, 1000 gallons of prepaid fuel, beer for the neighbors so they remember to help out, pick up everything that will disappear under the snow.
Sometime this next week when the snow melts, we will be planting fall trees.
Posted By: MJM

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
Aaaaand,,,,oops it was too late. It has been a scramble the last few days trying to get lawn, pond and garden stuff put away, basically in the dark when you get home after the sun has set. We have gotten 7-8 inches today that turned to instant slop because it was 70 degrees on Tuesday. They say 2-3 more feet on the way starting in a couple of hours through Saturday morning. .

You guys on that side of the state like all that snow. It is white here too. I am hoping we don't get much more.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by MJM

You guys on that side of the state like all that snow. It is white here too. I am hoping we don't get much more.

You mean to tell us that the snow is the same color on both sides of the country ....... come on you are kidding
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 11:25 PM

Just put the shovel by the door....and have plenty of Scotch...
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/10/19 11:45 PM

Fetch firewood to the house, stuff the Beagle box's with straw, enjoy the hunting/trapping season to come, and still go fishing till the water gets stiff! LOL
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Just put the shovel by the door....and have plenty of Scotch...

grin
Posted By: Zim

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 12:55 AM

Not ready for it yet, we live in the woods and I usually clean up leaves til the first serious snowfall.
Have to plant and mulch in garlic yet, that is on my to do list.
Wife is almost done knitting scarves for the chickens
Shoot a couple 3 deer.
Maybe clean the garage.

Zim

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 01:35 AM

Am I the only one doing a little extra just in case we end up super cold and snow butt deep to a tall Indian? grin

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 01:41 AM

Am I the only one doing a little extra just in case we end up super cold and snow butt deep to a tall Indian? grin

You got your panties all up in a Bunch....You live in Ohio for crying out loud. Do the lakes even freeze down there ?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 01:52 AM

Disconnect the hose from the house

Blow out the lines in the camp trailer

Everything else is allready ready for when the SHTF
Posted By: fix it mike

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 01:58 AM

Split the last 4 loads of wood for the winter and load traps for opening day.

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

You got your panties all up in a Bunch....You live in Ohio for crying out loud. Do the lakes even freeze down there ?

Don't be that mean girl. grin

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 02:10 AM

LoL
Posted By: charles

Re: What do you do, to prepare for winter - 10/11/19 03:15 AM

Not ready for socks until I put on boots. Got my Therma Cell ready for deer box stand.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums