Home

My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt

Posted By: EdP

My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 08:17 PM

It was a terrific time. Caught some good weather and tagged a buck I am very happy with on the 2nd day. Public land hunting is a challenge but with a little work can turn out just fine.

Description: A bit of scenery from the road bordering the land I hunted.
Attached picture 20191004_133454.jpg

Description: I spent some time under the overhanging branches of a large pine. This doe came in from 250 yds out and eventually came to within 17 yds, and lay down in front of some bushes and spent 30 min chewing her cud.
Attached picture 20191005_122445.jpg

Description: I wanted a buck so she got a pass.
Attached picture 20191005_122537.jpg

Description: Caught this guy unawares the next day.
Attached picture 20191006_125229.jpg

Description: Didn't notice the ivory tips until this morning. He's at the taxi now for a European mount.
Attached picture IMG_0097.JPG
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 08:26 PM

Nice job Ed. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 08:34 PM

Gonna cash in my 7 Wyoming preference points next year for a DIY bowhunt. Really excited.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 08:34 PM

You got a beautiful buck! I would have been ecstatic to tag one like that. They are cool beasts, and tasty if handled properly. Pronghorn hunting is a blast. Haven't been in many years, but will go again when I'm able to.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 09:11 PM

Nice buck. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 10:18 PM

Thanks guys. The public land in the unit I hunt is mostly small parcels so I am rarely more than a mile from my truck and normally considerably closer. I keep several bags of ice in a cooler in my truck. After field dressing I go get my cart and come back with a bag of ice to put in the body cavity for the ride out. That starts the cooldown right away. Once back at my truck I hang the `lope from my hitch mounted hoist, skin it and break it down. The meat goes in game bags, then in trash bags to keep it dry, and into a cooler with more ice. That buck was shot at about 1 pm and was in the cooler and iced down before 3:30. Between the cost of fuel, hotels, and license/tags, the meat cost is about $40 lb, so I don't want to loose an ounce!
Posted By: snowy

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 10:19 PM

Nice!
Posted By: goldnut

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Thanks guys. The public land in the unit I hunt is mostly small parcels so I am rarely more than a mile from my truck and normally considerably closer. I keep several bags of ice in a cooler in my truck. After field dressing I go get my cart and come back with a bag of ice to put in the body cavity for the ride out. That starts the cooldown right away. Once back at my truck I hang the `lope from my hitch mounted hoist, skin it and break it down. The meat goes in game bags, then in trash bags to keep it dry, and into a cooler with more ice. That buck was shot at about 1 pm and was in the cooler and iced down before 3:30. Between the cost of fuel, hotels, and license/tags, the meat cost is about $40 lb, so I don't want to loose an ounce!

Nice buck Ed! I just got one on sept 20th and had a post on here about it. I couldnt agree more on the price per pound!! The hunt was well worth the cost! Congrats!! Ken
Posted By: goldnut

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/10/19 10:37 PM

What area did you hunt?
Posted By: cotton

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 12:01 AM

that critter is on my bucket list Ed.
good hunt for sure.
look me up in bland next week end
Posted By: Prn

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by EdP

Boy, at $40/lb. It's a good thing you didn't shoot a bigger one or that could get expensive! wink
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 12:27 AM

Good job Ed.
Good eating right there!

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 12:52 AM

Boy, at $40/lb. It's a good thing you didn't shoot a bigger one or that could get expensive! wink

Now that was good!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:01 AM

Good job, nice buck!
Posted By: LeviSS

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:04 AM

Nice buck.

Any advice for people looking to do a diy antelope hunt?
Posted By: Zim

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:06 AM

LOL I think the walleye we brought home from Canada last month ran a bit more than that, although I did try to eat about $100 worth of them per day.
If a guy figures out his cost per pound of critter harvested ya looking down the wrong trail.
It still is more cost effective than golf and gives you an excuse to buy all sorts of cool stuff.

Zim

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:09 AM

Cotton, is that what you go by up Bland way?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:10 AM

Great Job! Its Addicting! Really is!

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
Cotton, is that what you go by up Bland way?

yepper
next weekend is the bland roundy, 18&19 at the fairgrounds
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:29 AM

Nice !!!!!!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:39 AM

WTG!, some things you just do not put a price on!
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by cotton
good hunt for sure.

Get on it cotton, you're not going to do it any younger!!

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 11:36 AM

If a guy figures out his cost per pound of critter harvested ya looking down the wrong trail.

I don't think there is anything wrong with figuring out the cost as a item for conversation, but if that is what you are looking at to determine the value of the hunt, you are missing the point. I think that's where you were coming from Zim. It's a vacation that you happen to come home from with some meat.

I had a terrific time and I'm still in the afterglow from the trip.

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cattrax
good hunt for sure.

Get on it cotton, you're not going to do it any younger!!

might have done waited too long kittyprints, done got old and stove up lol
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: My Wyoming DIY Antelope Hunt - 10/11/19 09:35 PM

might have done waited too long kittyprints, done got old and stove up lol

Nah, come on out we'll get you a goat.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums