Home

Shed re-model

Posted By: Flipper 56

Shed re-model - 10/10/19 11:56 PM

I have an old 20'x20' shed on my farm and I am remodeling it and turning it into a well insulated workshop/ fur shed. One side was like a lean to with sliding doors on both ends. The concrete was bad and the lean to wall was sagging because the floor settled a lot. I broke the concrete in 3 places with a sledge and then dug down and set treated 4x4's in cement then jacked the roof up level supported by the 4x4's so I could tear out the rest of the concrete. That was a lot of work for and old guy!! Then this afternoon I got a 90lb electric jackhammer and started on the rest of the 10' x 20" pad. Wow, those things will wear a tired old man out in about an hour and 20 minutes to be precise! I got about a third broken up so I will hit it again tomorrow if I can get out of bed!! grin

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 12:04 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Me worn out!! Take me out coach!!
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 12:42 AM

That wear ya out! Need to see progress pics as ya go along.

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by goldnut
That wear ya out! Need to see progress pics as ya go along.

Will do!
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 10:41 AM

Let the hammer do the work, I see lots of young bucks try to work the hammer but later in the day the hammer gets the best of them. Hard work for sure, pace yourself. Some of that old concrete can be tough as heck.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 10:46 AM

If the floor is cracked up enough bring in a skid steer. If that won't fit rent a dingo. Save yourself trapper!

Osky
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 11:57 AM

Sometimes it just best to start from scratch.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 12:37 PM

I love big projects and I cannot lie... laugh
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 12:40 PM

That's one of those tools that'll make you have Popeye arms,
Eat some spinach and get after it lol.

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 06:42 PM

Got it all broken up! Didn't need to go to the Y today for a workout either. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 06:48 PM

Sweet. That's a big project. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
If the floor is cracked up enough bring in a skid steer. If that won't fit rent a dingo. Save yourself trapper!

Osky

That was my thought as well. Having both forks and a bucket in a case like this works really well. You can pick up and carry a big slab of concrete with pallet forks on a skidsteer. You can also rent jackhammers that mount on skidsteers too.

Picking up all that broken concrete by hand and hauling it out is not a fun job either.

Keith

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 08:09 PM

I didn't have to rent the jackhammer, a friend let me use it. I would have to rent a skid steer and that would cost me at least as much as a dozen MB 550's, and I would rather have the traps. It is going to cost a chunk for concrete and everything to finish the inside and insulate it real well. Then the metal for the outside walls. The roof is new metal already. I am on a budget and that is why I am trying to do things I can myself. I do have a loader on a tractor to get the broken concrete hauled away, might have to do a little shoveling near the walls because the tractor is a little big for that small area. I also have to buy one of ADC's skinning machines to go with the decor! grin

Re: Shed re-model - 10/11/19 08:42 PM

A man with a plan! lol Let me know when you're ready for it.

Re: Shed re-model - 10/12/19 07:54 PM

Wife helped today and we got all the old concrete out and ready for gravel and forms. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Shed re-model - 10/12/19 09:29 PM

looking good keep at it ,an keep us posted

Re: Shed re-model - 10/28/19 06:37 PM

Got the new concrete in and ready to start building walls and adding new breaker panel and wiring before I have insulation sprayed in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Shed re-model - 10/28/19 07:01 PM

that's going to be one really nice fur shed sir I wish I had something like that to work with. im building mine from scratch and on a very tight budget. very nice work this far cant wait to see how it turns out.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Shed re-model - 10/28/19 10:59 PM

Looking good

Re: Shed re-model - 10/28/19 11:09 PM

That old shed getting a new lease on life. Good job. Can't wait to see the next step.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Shed re-model - 10/28/19 11:24 PM

Nice

Re: Shed re-model - 11/02/19 08:19 PM

Got it framed up ready for sheeting and tyvek.
[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 11/02/19 11:45 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 12:11 AM

Looking good
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 12:44 AM

Coming along nicely!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 12:47 AM

Looks good
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 02:25 AM

Looks Good
Posted By: keets

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 11:11 AM

window header
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 02:03 PM

I don't think he needs the header as the walls are not supporting anything.

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 09:43 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 10:38 PM

keep going it looks good

Re: Shed re-model - 11/03/19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
keep going it looks good

I am about dead after this weekend!

Re: Shed re-model - 11/22/19 07:28 PM

All framed up, new entrance power cable, 100 amp panel and wiring installed. Mount and power installed for ADC's skinning machine. New metal except the green wanescoat on the bottom was ordered the wrong length and had to be reordered. Waiting on insulation guy to spray foam the inside so I can finish the walls and build work benches. Then I will have time to trap!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Shed re-model - 11/22/19 07:52 PM

Nice addition to that building. Work area in one side. Hang fur in the other. Place extra traps and supplies in the larger.

Re: Shed re-model - 11/22/19 07:52 PM

That is quite a transformation. It looks great. What are you going to use for interior wall covering? I'd suggest some type of shower wall board around the skinner for easy clean up. I like a big rubber mat (mine was an old truck bed liner) under the skinner and covered with used carpet to hold the blood. Throw away the carpet in the spring, hose off the mat and you'll have a nice clean floor all spring and summer.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Shed re-model - 11/22/19 07:58 PM

Looking good Flipper.

Re: Shed re-model - 11/22/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
That is quite a transformation. It looks great. What are you going to use for interior wall covering? I'd suggest some type of shower wall board around the skinner for easy clean up. I like a big rubber mat (mine was an old truck bed liner) under the skinner and covered with used carpet to hold the blood. Throw away the carpet in the spring, hose off the mat and you'll have a nice clean floor all spring and summer.

Thanks, I was going to look for something easily cleanable after the foam and I put up osb board for around the skinning machine. I will also find a thick mat and some old carpet.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 01:33 AM

Perhaps putting down some rubber cow mats. There heavy duty and last a lifetime plus, easy on your feet with long hours in the shed.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 04:56 AM

Looks good im excited to see it in action when your done and skinning.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 09:05 AM

Great job!! That's what I need

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 12:46 PM

looks great !!!
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Thanks, I was going to look for something easily cleanable after the foam and I put up osb board for around the skinning machine. I will also find a thick mat and some old carpet.

Imo I would buy some chemlite board for around the skinner. Its fiberglass..Like adc said..its shower board...has a slick side and a dull side. You can spray off most of the blood. Hit it with 409 and scrub it with a push broom if you have a real good season. Works slick. I love the throw the carpet out idea
I use tons of saw dust and kitty litter. Going to try the carpet.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Shed re-model - 11/23/19 01:29 PM

Btw I forgot to tell you that the shed is awesome!
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Shed re-model - 11/24/19 01:25 PM

Great craftsmanship right there, shed coming along nicely!
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Shed re-model - 11/24/19 01:41 PM

Awesome!

Re: Shed re-model - 11/25/19 05:26 PM

Rented a trencher this morning and got the satellite cable and a cat6 cable to the shed so I don't get bored. Wanted to get that in before the insulation guys come tomorrow to foam it.
[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 11/30/19 01:30 PM

Got the outside metal done and the spray foam insulation done starting on putting osb on the interior walls today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 11/30/19 01:34 PM

Lookin good Flipper. Love to see that new roof on your barn too!
Posted By: Osky

Re: Shed re-model - 11/30/19 02:45 PM

Coming along great Flipper.

Osky

Re: Shed re-model - 12/04/19 11:40 PM

Finished the OSB, installed the plastic sheet on the wall behind the skinning machine with stainless screws and fender washers. Then got the machine installed and ready to put trim around the windows and build the workbenches.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 12:19 AM

Looks awsome

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 12:25 AM

Looking good. Be sure that hoist is mounted solid. You'll be pulling hard on it.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 12:35 AM

Looks good
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 04:24 PM

That's going to be quite the set up!

May want to think about a chain or cable on the end of the hoist to an eye bolt in roof beam.

P.S Love the Gambrel wink
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 04:37 PM

Very nice. I’m working on a new shed also. Finished the drying room last night. A couple more evenings and I’ll have it. I’ve been waiting for 30 years to have a nice place to skin critters. Great job.
Posted By: bur

Re: Shed re-model - 12/05/19 05:04 PM

Looks good, one thing to consider on your hoist . . . . you can mount the hoist at ground level, and run the line through a block attached to the rafters. If you want even better mechanical advantage (prolonged life on the hoist, too), check out the sketch below. This is how I have mine setup. I lagged a heavy piece of angle iron between two roof rafters about 6" down from the ridge beam, and hung my block from a chain looped over the angle iron. I also attached the fixed end of the cable to the same piece of angle iron.

Great work on the shed, I like seeing old barns and such get new life. I am sure the person who built the barn would appreciate your efforts as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 12/06/19 05:15 AM

Bur, the original shed or corn crib was signed with a name in a corner of the concrete in 1941 so it's been there for a bit. Got the trim around the door and windows done today. Tomorrow I am going to build a couple work benches.

Re: Shed re-model - 12/06/19 06:01 AM

Keep the pictures coming F56. I can hardly believe the transformation. It looks like a totally new shed. Good job!

Re: Shed re-model - 12/07/19 05:02 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Added music to work by today. Getting close now!
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Shed re-model - 12/07/19 11:44 PM

Looks good. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time in there!

Re: Shed re-model - 12/08/19 12:01 AM

Dang it's lookin good and yes, ya gotta have tunes out there. Your doing a great job Flipper!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Shed re-model - 12/08/19 12:25 AM

Looking great. I would 2nd the mounting the hoist down low or at least a safety chain. Get beaned with the hoist wouldn't do you or the hoist any favors. That insulation you had put in, you oughta be able to heat it with a candle.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Shed re-model - 12/08/19 01:19 AM

Does the heavy v shaped where the legs hook work well. I had one made and it does not grip the legs well, I like the idea. Do I need to sharpen the upper edges so it grips better

Re: Shed re-model - 12/08/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Birdman382
Does the heavy v shaped where the legs hook work well. I had one made and it does not grip the legs well, I like the idea. Do I need to sharpen the upper edges so it grips better

I bought it from ADC and have not used it yet. You can go to his website and watch the videos. Looks like it works well to me, that's why I ordered the skinning machine from him.

http://iowatrapperstalk.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/37550/Skinning_Machines_for_sale#Post37550

Re: Shed re-model - 12/08/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
Originally Posted by Birdman382

I bought it from ADC and have not used it yet. You can go to his website and watch the videos. Looks like it works well to me, that's why I ordered the skinning machine from him.

http://iowatrapperstalk.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/37550/Skinning_Machines_for_sale#Post37550

Other then my Dan's hip waders, buying one of Jayme's skinners is the best thing I've done. I wanted mine for the hitch on my truck and modified to skin squirrels too. He worked with me and when I got it I was so pleased with the workmanship and quality. It's a lifesaver for me and you won't find a nicer guy to deal with. You'll love it Flipper, when you start gettin it goin.
[Linked Image]

Re: Shed re-model - 12/12/19 11:35 PM

Ok, I think it's pretty much done. Need to organize the trap and snare parts and pieces in some plastic containers and work on some traps. Need to stop and pick up a piece of carpet for under the skinning machine. Nice to have a warm place to work on stuff. Now maybe I can start trapping.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CajunMan

Re: Shed re-model - 12/12/19 11:37 PM

That’s a nice set up you’re working on

Re: Shed re-model - 12/12/19 11:39 PM

You put a bathroom in there and you won't have to go in the house. grin Looks great!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Shed re-model - 12/13/19 12:19 AM

That one picture on the wall is a little crooked. LOL just kidding. That place looks great. If it was mine there would be a bed in it!

Re: Shed re-model - 12/13/19 12:44 AM

Just in time for the primest best fur of the season!
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Shed re-model - 12/13/19 01:12 PM

Real nice, where's the fridge?

Re: Shed re-model - 12/13/19 05:42 PM

Putting a fridge and chest freezer in soon! grin
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Shed re-model - 12/13/19 05:49 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Shed re-model - 12/14/19 12:09 AM

SWEET
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Shed re-model - 12/14/19 12:19 AM

Wow! That looks great. Very nice work indeed!

Thanks for the photo tour.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums