Home

Coni buckets

Posted By: phsnt guide

Coni buckets - 10/13/19 06:36 PM

I purchased a couple square 4 gallon buckets from menards and i want to make some bucket sets. I have one cut but not sure what it should look like. Any pictures would help. Plus how much room do you need for them to fire? I would like to use 220s
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 07:01 PM

Sent you a pm.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 07:45 PM

I hope they are blue...
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 07:48 PM

I heat up old rod or a stake and lay it across the opening until it melts the slot that I want for the springs to sit in, thins gives you a slot without cutting any material away. Then burn a stake hole through the bucket for staking.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sanfo008
I hope they are blue...

lmao!! thought I was the only one that rememberd that
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 10:49 PM

They don't seem to mind the Menards green buckets.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 11:40 PM

using a Sawzall with fine tooth blade I cut the slot about 3/8" x 4-5" deep..bout an inch below center.....just enough for the springs to slide.
ya don't want them slopping around beating up the bucket
then drill the 2 holes thru the wood for the roof bolts and wing nuts....labelling to keep each roof for its bucket. wing nuts make it quick when attaching roofs, keeping buckets stackable.
YOU MUST put a roof overhanging bout 10" to keep dogs out
you are asking for trouble without a roof IMO
the rear window has 1/4" rat wire for scent flow thru, and drill a hole for the wire to suspend the bait cup, keeping their attn UP at the mother lode of bait.
drill a hole thru top and bottom for the t-stake going completely thru.....over by the edge so won't interfere with jaws closing, plus you will run the t-stake thru the chain ring under the bucket to keep it all together.
once trap is slide into slots, push springs down, which raises trap bout an inch
consider using pans on trigger wires, bent up 10-20*, then they are stepping on the trigger wires
my photo DOES NOT have the roof installed.
[Linked Image]

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 11:43 PM

^^forgot to add
once set is made cover with local debris so it looks left over from a high water event.....keeps Johnny sneekum off them too.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Coni buckets - 10/13/19 11:49 PM

Traprjohn, got a picture of your roof set up? Or can you explain what it's made of? Nice setup by the way!
Posted By: dogdown

Re: Coni buckets - 10/14/19 12:50 AM

I set my router table with a high fence and a piece of masking tape for a stop reference. Simply ran bucket to stop point, flipped 180 degrees and repeated.

Re: Coni buckets - 10/14/19 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the reply's. I made a few last night to try when our season opens.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Coni buckets - 10/14/19 07:26 PM

One thing with buckets that happens sometimes is instead of sticking their head in the bucket, the coon will reach in and fire the trap. That was one reason I liked the Belise traps because they closed shut tight. I had coon caught by a paw several times waiting for me in the Belise. Other traps the coon would pull out because there was a space in jaws because they didn't close shut tight.
Posted By: merganser

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 12:24 AM

Blue buckets x2

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Traprjohn, got a picture of your roof set up? Or can you explain what it's made of? Nice setup by the way!

old weathered plywood

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Other traps the coon would pull out because there was a space in jaws because they didn't close shut tight.

you must not use Bulldogs with the extra kill bars (jaws) welded.

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 10:10 AM

Guy's I have a couple more questions. I see you put mess in the back/bottom of the bucket. Is that for the to feel they can walk through or for smell? If it's for smell will it work to just drill holes in the back/bottom of the bucket?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 03:45 PM

I for one don't think the holes/wire is necessary. If you have good bait the smell is coming out of the bucket. Does a jar of lure have holes in the bottom? Open one up and set it some where, pretty soon you can smell it across the room.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Other traps the coon would pull out because there was a space in jaws because they didn't close shut tight.

you must not use Bulldogs with the extra kill bars (jaws) welded.

No, the Belisles close tight and their springs are the strongest 160s & 220s I've ever seen.

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 07:25 PM

I will not stake a bucket or box down. I stake the trap. If you hold a coon alive in a body grip trap and the box/bucket is staked with the trap, the box/bucket will be chewed up. If you stake the trap and not the box/bucket with a little luck it will get kicked out of reach of the coon. I run a fair amount of Belisles.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 08:30 PM

Here’s a new style I’m going to play with this year. The little cut out piece was for two things, one to give me a little overhang, also I I felt like animals would enter more readily if on natural ground. Time will tell

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 08:38 PM

What is the intention of the overhang? Is it to protect the set from rain or to qualify it for a regulation requiring bait to be in seen from overhead? Just curious. My bucket sets are very plain jane and take 30 secs to set up. Notches cut in each side for springs. anchor trap and usually ste two sticks through the eyes crossing each other in a y to keep the bucket and traps stable. just round buckets whatever junk i can find. squares are nice if i can find them like the cat litter buckets but i don't think it actually matters that i have noticed.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 08:46 PM

The overhang is to reduce the likelihood of non targets working the set.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 09:09 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
The overhang is to reduce the likelihood of non targets working the set.

Thank you.

Re: Coni buckets - 10/15/19 09:45 PM

Thanks guys. I found a dozen square litter buckers and got everything done. I liked the idea of the wire opening but for the time being i am going to just drill holes for air flow. I dont have any expensive coni just Dukes but hopefully they will work. Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Coni buckets - 10/16/19 01:07 AM

I would stake those Duke 220's like I was setting a foot hold. Sometimes you have a pretty good catch circle.
Posted By: charles

Re: Coni buckets - 10/16/19 02:36 AM

I used to run buckets. I put lids on mine and cut a hole in the lid that was too small for a dog, but would allow coons to enter. Often the coon was still stuck in the lid when I arrived. Almost always a neck catch.
Posted By: Rats!

Re: Coni buckets - 10/16/19 02:47 AM

Not into the bucket thing at all. Tried and did not like. Too much luggage. Put your trap on a Stakelizer and secure it. Build a cubby around it, throw some bait in the back and you're set! Use your gardening tools to shape your cubby. No reason to haul and store and keep track of all them buckets! Every passerby will discover your buckets and they are hard to stabilize, etc. Buckets may be fine for the high rollers, but if you're just setting out a few don't bother. Go simple and old school. PS squeeze the trigger wires and push to one side. Jack maceral is a great bait and keep sets away from dogs!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums