Home

NAFA certification paperwork?

Posted By: Dirt

NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 03:08 PM

"NAFA shippers who wish to sell their furs as NAFA Certified™ must declare their intention to fulfill the requirements for fur certification and agree to the NAFA Certified™ Terms & Conditions. "

Anybody know what this means? Anybody know what the terms and conditions are or how I declare my intentions to fulfill requirements? Thanks!

NAFA Certified Wild fur

Traceability

Certification status is recorded before barcodeing?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 03:51 PM

If you agree, maybe your check won't bounce?
You get a CERTIFIED check.
Posted By: tjm

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 04:55 PM

This may be what you want; https://www.nafa.ca/webcenter/wccproxy/d?dID=25413

Much more acceptable to say I followed laws in my jurisdiction than to say I followed Canadian rules.
"ETHICAL SOURCING TERMS & CONDITIONS
12. I declare that I follow all applicable laws, regulations and codes of conduct enforced in my jurisdiction in the procurement
and trade of furs, that include, but are not limited to; harvest method, selectivity (avoidance of non-target species), seasons, quotas.
13. I declare that in all my procurement activities, I use the best tools, methods and practices, as known in my jurisdiction for
procuring each species of furbearing animal, that relate to sustainability, humaneness, and safety for myself and community members."

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 05:07 PM

Can't say my trapping is safe for me. I risk my life a lot. Guess I have to lie. crazy

I'll say this; it is a lot simpler and better than the one Canada Goose came up with.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 05:41 PM

Furmark

This is the direction things are heading.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 05:54 PM

FHA is involved with Furmark. According to them all wild fur is certified without us signing anything or declaring anything because it is a regulated harvest. Not that either Auction can sell most wild fur for diddly certified or not these days. Personally, I think we are heading towards bankruptcy not certification.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:18 PM

All wild fur is certifiable by reason of regulation and licensing, imo, nothing else needed.
I guess this is just reassuring the auction that I have a license and to absolve them if I lied about it.
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:35 PM

All of our natural resources are headed this way from fur to meat to timber. Everything is goiong to be CERTIFIED and TRACEABLE. Just a way to control us. Eventually the standards will be raised so high no one meet s certification and the industry goes kaput.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:38 PM

Suppose the dressers trace back the slippers and demand refunds from the road kill shipper?

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:39 PM

I thought the purpose of traceabilty was to have a tanned hide sewed into a garment traceable, so retailers knew they were not selling raccoon dog from China. Something that, if they could do it, and retailers really cared about this, it would maybe put a stop to retailers unknowingly selling raccoon dog as raccoon?

I'm not necessarily seeing this in the NAFA program?

Personally, I see it as a marketing gimmick (like $5.95, not $6) that will serve no useful purpose when everybody does it.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:46 PM

I thought it was so the end users could sit around sipping what's and show each other how they only wear sustainables.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 07:55 PM

If it is voluntary and it pays more????????

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
If it is voluntary and it pays more????????

Is it voluntary? It appears if you want NAFA to auction or PT your fur, you must comply. I have no idea if this will mean more money. I doubt it.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 08:13 PM

If a license and state seasons are all you need then it was always certified......
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 08:13 PM

As long as I get a certified check that is.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 08:59 PM

If you ship you are doing so voluntarily, that is the voluntary part

But they had my name address and license info before, this id just so they can add a layer of bs on the marketing side.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/14/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Furmark

This is the direction things are heading.

Is your rural economy and your livelihood dependent on your whopping big fur checks like mine? I'd starve, if I didn't get that $400 check from FHA this year. crazy
Posted By: drasselt

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/15/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
This may be what you want; https://www.nafa.ca/webcenter/wccproxy/d?dID=25413

Much more acceptable to say I followed laws in my jurisdiction than to say I followed Canadian rules.
"ETHICAL SOURCING TERMS & CONDITIONS
12. I declare that I follow all applicable laws, regulations and codes of conduct enforced in my jurisdiction in the procurement
and trade of furs, that include, but are not limited to; harvest method, selectivity (avoidance of non-target species), seasons, quotas.
13. I declare that in all my procurement activities, I use the best tools, methods and practices, as known in my jurisdiction for
procuring each species of furbearing animal, that relate to sustainability, humaneness, and safety for myself and community members."

This is pretty much what we told them was all that was needed a couple years ago if I recall correctly.
Posted By: mainer

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/15/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
FHA is involved with Furmark. According to them all wild fur is certified without us signing anything or declaring anything because it is a regulated harvest.

Exactly! There's no reason whatsoever to sign off on any declarations that are already covered under U.S. and State BMPs and regulations (i.e., certification) and the trapper's contact/license information when selling furs (i.e., traceability). It's all there already without any need for further certification or traceability sourcing.

The reasons NAFA wants us to sign off on these "new Ethical Sourcing Terms & Conditions" are the same reasons they want us "sign off" on their Certification and Traceability nonsense, which hasn't changed one bit.

NAFA wants to establish an industry practice -- their signature C+T program -- as the norm for everyone. That norm is full AIHTS compliance as written by and crafted in the European Union for the purposes of placating the animal rights movement in Europe. It's a Trojan Horse.

They tell us it's voluntary. So voluntarily say NO and refuse to sign any document that requires you to declare what is already covered by your state trapping regulations.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/15/19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mainer
Originally Posted by Dirt
FHA is involved with Furmark. According to them all wild fur is certified without us signing anything or declaring anything because it is a regulated harvest.

Exactly! There's no reason whatsoever to sign off on any declarations that are already covered under U.S. and State BMPs and regulations (i.e., certification) and the trapper's contact/license information when selling furs (i.e., traceability). It's all there already without any need for further certification or traceability sourcing.

The reasons NAFA wants us to sign off on these "new Ethical Sourcing Terms & Conditions" are the same reasons they want us "sign off" on their Certification and Traceability nonsense, which hasn't changed one bit.

NAFA wants to establish an industry practice -- their signature C+T program -- as the norm for everyone. That norm is full AIHTS compliance as written by and crafted in the European Union for the purposes of placating the animal rights movement in Europe. It's a Trojan Horse.

They tell us it's voluntary. So voluntarily say NO and refuse to sign any document that requires you to declare what is already covered by your state trapping regulations.

Well put mainer, that is exactly spot on.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/15/19 11:28 PM

x2

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/15/19 11:35 PM

I hate to do this; defend NAFA, but the U.S. has it's own agreement. If NAFA wanted, which I don't believe they do, U.S. trappers to comply with anything, it would be our own bmps not Canada's agreement that they don't realllllly comply with.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 01:07 AM

It doesn't matter what agreement is referenced or if no agreement is referenced. The point here is that NAFA does not have the authority or jurisdiction to enforce compliance with or require declaration of anything with regard to our BMPs or our ethics or our harvesting methods or the equipment we use and so on. They have absolutely no standing when it comes to how we harvest fur -- NONE!

I will never participate in their attempts -- however innocuous they make it sound -- to have me acknowledge their authority over how I harvest my fur through any document signed or otherwise. It is literally none of their business, and I will make sure of that by never doing business with them so long as they continue down their Certification and Traceability road.

This has never been about crafting the right language for those of us in the United States to accept NAFA's "Ethical Sourcing Terms and Conditions." It's about who has the authority to demand whether I am in compliance with anything I do as a licensed trapper in the U.S.

NAFA does not have that authority in any way shape or form. And we need to make sure they never do.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 05:29 AM

NAFA sets their own terms with who does business with them. Nobody is forcing anybody to do business with them. I don't even believe NAFA wanted to do this certification B.S. Sometimes things are forced on you because your competition starts this crap. I bet they don't even want to deal with this since they got bigger problems these days. I could be wrong.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 12:45 PM

As does FHA, which respects the "wide range of state, provincial, territorial and federal rules" on harvesting fur by NOT setting up it's own trademarked certification protocols. Here is FHA's position on certification:

[Linked Image]

Here is NAFA's Certified™ Wild Fur requirement (aka "NAFA Certified™ Ethical Sourcing Terms & Conditions"):

[Linked Image]

Fur Harvesters Auction is NAFA's competition, and they don't require trappers to "declare their intentions" because intentions are irrelevant to the "wide range of state, provincial, territorial and federal rules" already in place.

I don't think we're in disagreement, Dirt.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 03:09 PM

FHA is not the competition I'm talking about. NAFA's (the fox and mink breeders of the U.S. and Canada) competition is the European farmers. They (European farmers) started this welfare certification stuff because their business activity is slowly being banned across western Europe. Now they are running to Poland. For some reason wild fur got drug into this mess.

The farmers created welfare STANDARDS. Are they enforced? You really can't certify wild fur. The certification is meaningless. The Auctions are just saying the word "Certified"

FYI

"Keeping mink in small barren cages has been banned in several European countries, including Britain, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Spain, Croatia, Macedonia and Slovenia. The few remaining major producers of mink are Finland, Denmark, Poland, Greece and China. In Poland the government is discussing a new animal welfare law which would ban fur farming. Fox farming has been banned in Denmark and Sweden."

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 04:00 PM

Gotcha...my misunderstanding.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 04:55 PM

If you want to sell your fur what's the big deal sign the freakin paper. Can't see where It's going to hurt you.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 05:02 PM

I agree with Beav, only the selling will hurt.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 05:30 PM

Yep! Sign the paper with FHA, and you won't have to declare your intentions to fulfill any requirements and your fur check won't bounce. Sounds like a win, win to me.

Good advice, Beav.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 07:15 PM

The point Is no one Is going to be checking your methods and what traps you use to make a catch. So It's just smoke and mirrors to satisfy some faction.

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
The point Is no one Is going to be checking your methods and what traps you use to make a catch. So It's just smoke and mirrors to satisfy some faction.

Muskrat will probably even be able to certify his illegally crossed the RR tracks fur. smile

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/16/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Or.....I could maintain my self-respect and go with door #2 or #3. Markets with choices are a wonderful thing.
Posted By: Actor

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/17/19 02:55 PM

So what do you suppose the outcome would be if for instance... You didn't sign the agreement (certification) with NAFA, but you sent them a very large lot of red fox (or name your fur). What will NAFA do with that fur... Just seize it and sell it and keep all of the money, or return it to you and send you a bill for the shipping and handling costs, or demand the S & H costs in advance, and if you don't send the money they just keep it. I know this appears to be illegal for them to do this, but the way the liberal Canadian Government is, NAFA may be able to persuade the Government into passing regulations to make it legal to take this action, since it is an international action.

I guess I am at the age, and have been around enough to see everything most governments do, is to see how bad they can put the shaft to people.

Garry-.
Posted By: K52

Re: NAFA certification paperwork? - 10/17/19 03:30 PM

They would sell it , take out shipping & handling and magazine cost and a few other fees then send you a hot check. Seems like it works for them so far.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums