Home

Archery hunting question

Posted By: Jim H

Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 12:23 AM

Is it possible to make what looked and felt like a solid hit on a deer and have absolutely no blood to track?
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 12:26 AM

Absolutely but often it is a marginal hit like through the neck or other places.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 12:40 AM

Thanks taximan. I followed the arrow right to the deer and it appeared to hit low behind the shoulder, but I've been second guessing all night. My gopro fell off my bow so I cant go back and watch. I looked for 3 hours and came up empty. Never found the arrow either.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 12:51 AM

Possible but not likely a double lung shot would be bloodless
Posted By: Finster

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:04 AM

Happened to me. I sliced the heart in half, the deer ran 100 yards and hardly any blood. It didn't have a pump.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:04 AM

High shot with no exit hole = no blood trail..
Keep looking..
Good Luck
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:07 AM

No sign at all where it was standing? I at least find a drop of blood or hair or something. Are you 100% positive you hit it?

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:14 AM

When I took the shot I was 100% sure I hit it. No sign at all. Makes me think maybe I didn't.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:23 AM

There is always some hair , where he was standing , when arrow hit him ...look close

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:33 AM

I thought so too slowpoke, but I didn't notice any hair. I'll be back out there tomorrow and will start from where he was when I shot. I'm going to check my gopro and see if theres any footage. It was hung up in netting on my blind, with any luck I'll see something.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:38 AM

Take your dog out for a walk. If there is blood a dog will find it. Even if you can't.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:44 AM

I shot an 8 1/2 yr old buck in Illinois 2 yr ago and hit him a bit high on entry and went into the opposite shoulder, arrow didn't come out and had about 3 inches sticking out the entry side. Looked for two hours with no blood and finally found him about 200 yds from the shot. But if it was a low hit there should be blood
Posted By: snowy

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:46 AM

I have harvested many deer where there is little blood trail if any. After recovering the deer they have bleed out inside and in most cases with in 100 or so yards.
Keep looking replay where you were when you shot and replay the shot/hunt and keep looking is about all you can do. IMO
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:53 AM

Any forward low hit should leave blood.
Never seen what that didn't.
( Outta ALOT) of deer I've tracked
wink
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 02:02 AM

If you didn’t hit him then the arrow would still be behind where he was standing at the shot. Just saying.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 02:17 AM

After not seeing blood, I looked for the arrow and didn't find it. I might bring my metal detector out with me tomorrow.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
wink

That's what makes me think maybe I did miss, or hit higher than I thought. But I know I saw that arrow going straight for his chest!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jim H
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
wink

That's what makes me think maybe I did miss, or hit higher than I thought. But I know I saw that arrow going straight for his chest!

I've seen that before only to find out I missed ( excitement)?
Broadheads don't always stick in the ground like a field tip. They can wing off into the abyss.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 02:32 AM

I was in a ground blind so I know that arrow will be hard to find. It's most likely laying flat, under leaves and brush.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 03:00 AM

Anything is possible, hit/no blood can happen. Due diligence/time spent looking around will prevail....a few years ago it took me two days to find one but I found him.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:17 PM

If they can, when hit bad, will go to water
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 01:52 PM

Possibly hit him high..

Been there, I hunt high 25-30ft at foot level standing on steps...my shot angle is steep at close yardage and have hit high and no exit of arrow..last one I shot high with no exit absolutely no blood until he started to blow blood out of his nasal and mouth it took about 100yrds before I found blood found him pretty easy when finding the blood...

Single high lung hit with no exit from what I've experienced don't bleed much and run a long ways before laying down.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 03:19 PM

My gopro did have footage after it fell, but it was upside down and slightly obstructed by weeds. I couldn't see the shot and possible hit but he sure did take off like he got hit not just spooked. From what I could see he ran at a different angle than I originally thought. Headed back out to focus on that area.
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
If you didn’t hit him then the arrow would still be behind where he was standing at the shot. Just saying.

I had this same thought too once. I shot at a small fork horn one morning and missed, took a few steps then looked around and then just walked off. I thought the arrow would be easy to find with the lighted noc. I looked for a hour on my hands and knees in the tall grass even came back in the dark to see if I could see the noc glowing. I never found that arrow.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 04:01 PM

I buck I got this year I went back to the kill site 3 times and I finally found the arrow. I have done that a number of times and 99% of the time I can find it. It may take several trips but re-live the event.

Re: Archery hunting question - 10/15/19 09:11 PM

Well, I'm calling it a miss. I pushed through thick cover and followed several well worn trails and nothing. No arrow either. If I missed, there is a narrow pond right behind where I shot, the arrow might have gone there. Never found hair either. As a plus, I did find a fresh scrape in really thick cover. No way to set up on it, I'll just have to pic a trail and hope it's the right one. Thanks for all the help guys! I'm rather new to bow hunting. ... wish it was gun season! I'd be eating backstrap right now!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums