Home

cordless drill/augers question

Posted By: foxkidd44

cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 04:47 AM

guys what size cordless drills do you guys use when using augers?? I tried my 18 volt and it just wasn't doing the trick......maybe because the lack of rain made the ground harder than usual?? ive never used one of those before.....always the old dirthole/rebar ream out method.
Posted By: TomInVT

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 05:42 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a rigid octane brushless from Home Depot. When you register it online, you get a lifetime warranty! Plenty of power!
Posted By: 3togo

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 10:50 AM

FOXKID,
Last year I bought a Milwaukee 18V Fuel cordless 1/2' drill. I use Tom Stalker's 2" bit for holes. I worked very well for me.
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 10:59 AM

I have kept around an old 18v rigid hammer drill for years as rigid still warranties the darn thing.. I have pretty easy hole punching around here though. Mostly sand/dirt. I like the newer rigid and Milwaukee 18v if I had to buy new stuff and also use it for work.. I use the 2” auger from MTP
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 11:06 AM

I use my drill auger to throw me to the other side of the set when I’m done.
Posted By: KJD357

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 11:32 AM

I’ve also got the Milwaukee 18v fuel, and the 3” auger from MTP, it works pretty good. But I wish I had gone with a longer auger from either papio creek or stalker. Definitely want the handle on the drill if near any tree roots or rocks. It can be a wrist breaker lol
Posted By: run

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 11:34 AM

Definitely go with Milwaukee Fuel 12amp battery.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
I use my drill auger to throw me to the other side of the set when I’m done.

grin
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/15/19 10:42 PM

Im running a brushless dewalt hammer drill. I havent needed the hammer drill part yet.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 12:14 AM

Dewalt hammer drill, 5.0 mh batteries. Hard ground on some of my ranches here in Tx.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 01:05 AM

Any clutch issues using these drills with augers?
Posted By: LDW

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 01:09 AM

I use a Milwaukee rotary hammer drill. It's a life saver in frozen ground.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 01:20 AM

I have a Ridgid hammer drill I use as the powerhouse for an ice auger. It's pushing 1300 in/lbs of torque. I wouldn't hesitate (and neither would the drill) to punch holes in frozen or thawed ground with a 2 or 3" dirt auger.

Lots of guys switching to cordless drills for ice augers, if you do some searching there are a few different preferred models for that application that I'm sure would do just fine for dirt holes. Personally I picked the Ridgid because it has a lifetime guarantee on the drill, battery and charger.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 02:04 AM

I just use an old manual crank drill with a 1" bit. Never have to worry about it dying.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 05:04 PM

thanks guys.......I was trying to use a black and decker cordless 18v...............

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 05:28 PM

nooo that black and decker wont work at all. Im personally a dewalt fan but any of those suggestions above will work fine. My dewalt will drill holes all day on one battery even though i keep a spare. Im running a 3 or 4 inch auger. Its strong enough if it hits something solid it will rip itself from my grip and could hurt your wrist if you dont let go.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 06:56 PM

Possum, which Dewalt drill and batteries are you using?

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/16/19 07:06 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DR90MM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cheaper than when i bought it. I think i paid 150 for it. Im using 4.0Ah batteries.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/17/19 12:19 AM

I've been using my 24v DeWalt for more than fifteen years, works good
I got a 60volt right angle drill, it's a brute!! I just don't want to use it in that much dirt
Posted By: Katcatcher

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/17/19 03:58 AM

I use my old Milwaukee 18 volt electric drill set on hammer drilling so it doesn't break my wrist when it hits a rock or tree root.

KJD357 "But I wish I had gone with a longer auger" Did you know that you can buy an auger extension for any drill bit? I ground a flat spot on my drill bit then chuck it up and tighten down the Allen head set screw anytime I want to drill a deeper hole. I can use the shallower hole drill and add the extension when I need it. Just a thought and what has worked for me.
Pete
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/17/19 01:26 PM

Mine doesnt use batteries ..... grin

Attached picture image.png
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/17/19 01:34 PM

I took one them old cup type ice augers cut the cup down so makes about 2 -3 inch hole. Was ok trapping from the truck but mostly a pain to carry haven't used it in years. Drill I have is 18v Dewalt. Still haven't ground the shaft on my auger down to 3/8 so it will fit. Auger I have is 1/2 inch shaft.
But for drills to use? My kid had the Milwaukee 12v jobs. batteries go in couple different tools. going to try that this fall.

Mac
Posted By: Kasten Gleeson

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/17/19 04:01 PM

I use a milwaukee 18v drill from ebay for $50 (New) because i already had batteries, but for the augers i use a 3 pc 18" ship auger bit set from HF (1/2",3/4", 1") these are the way to go for pilot drilling for earth anchors in frozen ground and recovering the anchors to loosen the dirt around them.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: cordless drill/augers question - 10/18/19 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
I took one them old cup type ice augers cut the cup down so makes about 2 -3 inch hole. Was ok trapping from the truck but mostly a pain to carry haven't used it in years. Drill I have is 18v Dewalt. Still haven't ground the shaft on my auger down to 3/8 so it will fit. Auger I have is 1/2 inch shaft.
But for drills to use? My kid had the Milwaukee 12v jobs. batteries go in couple different tools. going to try that this fall.

Mac

I think it is best to have a half of inch Chuck on drill
© 2024 Trapperman Forums