Home

Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares?

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/15/19 06:38 PM

I heard this happened. Maybe Brian can chime in and give us the low-down.
Posted By: Brian McKee

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/15/19 07:01 PM

Yes Paul We did in fact acquire Thompson Snares.

To be honest, We are very excited to have done so. To be part of such a rich and historic part of the trapping industry is to me an honor. Raymond Thompson Started Thompson snares way back in 1918 and patented his first snares design in 1927 Making this company over 100 years old. There's not to many trapping supply companies out there that can say that. We plan on bolstering the company name and get it out there more. Most trappers under the age of 35 have never heard of Thompson snares. We also plan on keeping with tradition and continue to make the snares with 100% American made parts. Many of which are made in house on our own machines. We do plan on making one small change to the line of snare. That is we will be loading all snares unless otherwise told not too. This will increase the performance of each snare and aid in the catch rate!

The purchase also included some books that if you have not read, I promise is well worth the time.
Land of Fur and Gold
Snares and Snaring

We are also building a new 5000 square foot building to house all production equipment and parts for both Thompson Snares and Southern Snares.
We are also updating the Thompson Snares web page and will house a full line of Trapping products.
Feel free to check out the current web page at www.Thompsonsnares.com
or our main web page at www.southernsnares.com
I should add that there are several dealers that Carry Thompson Snares including

Minnesota Trapline.....320-599-4314
Cumberland's Northwest.....507-451-7607
Flemming's trapping supply.....1-800-624-4493
Sterling fur.....330-939-5135
Southeastern Outdoor Supply....276-638-4698
Sampson True Value....907-452-8036
Northern Fur Comapany....440-986-3366
Deaks fur Company....812-448-8494
VF Grace..... 907-272-6431
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/15/19 07:39 PM

Looks like Davis contact info still on the site unless you bought their phone number as well........
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/15/19 08:14 PM

Can't wait to meet you folks in Crossvile this weekend.
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 12:21 AM

good to see a trapping company growing in these lean years!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 12:38 AM

Congrats Brian, great to see you expanding!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 01:44 PM

Yes We bought the phone number as well. it just made sense to keep the same number. It may change in the future, but at least for now. it will remain the same.
Posted By: Sawmill Creek

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 02:11 PM

Congrats Brian
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 02:35 PM

Caught a lot of fox with Thomson 2S 40 snares back in the early 70's
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 02:53 PM

Congrats Brian!!
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 10/16/19 03:18 PM

From the 71-72 Bauer's catalog. [Linked Image]

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 04:35 PM

We have the Thompson Snares web page up and running. You can order right from the web page. We will continue to add more items on a daily basis.
www.thompsonsnares.com
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 04:39 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: white17

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 04:40 PM

That's good news Brian. A suggestion would be to upgrade the steel quality in the locks. Particularly in the larger sizes. It has become very soft in the past several years causing failure to lock.

Thompson's have always been my preferred snare but they have not been reliable due to lousy steel lately
Posted By: waggler

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 04:44 PM

I had the privilege of visiting with Raymond at his house a couple of times, and with his wife Ruby many times after Raymond's passing.

I really liked using his #2 cable for beaver drowning wire. I put a snare lock on the sack end to go around a sack of rocks, and a short piece of chain with an S hook on the upper end. This made for a very fast setup.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brian McKee
Yes Paul We did in fact acquire Thompson Snares.

To be honest, We are very excited to have done so. To be part of such a rich and historic part of the trapping industry is to me an honor. Raymond Thompson Started Thompson snares way back in 1918 and patented his first snares design in 1927 Making this company over 100 years old. There's not to many trapping supply companies out there that can say that. We plan on bolstering the company name and get it out there more. Most trappers under the age of 35 have never heard of Thompson snares. We also plan on keeping with tradition and continue to make the snares with 100% American made parts. Many of which are made in house on our own machines. We do plan on making one small change to the line of snare. That is we will be loading all snares unless otherwise told not too. This will increase the performance of each snare and aid in the catch rate!

The purchase also included some books that if you have not read, I promise is well worth the time.
Land of Fur and Gold
Snares and Snaring

We are also building a new 5000 square foot building to house all production equipment and parts for both Thompson Snares and Southern Snares.
We are also updating the Thompson Snares web page and will house a full line of Trapping products.
Feel free to check out the current web page at www.Thompsonsnares.com
or our main web page at www.southernsnares.com
I should add that there are several dealers that Carry Thompson Snares including

Minnesota Trapline.....320-599-4314
Cumberland's Northwest.....507-451-7607
Flemming's trapping supply.....1-800-624-4493
Sterling fur.....330-939-5135
Southeastern Outdoor Supply....276-638-4698
Sampson True Value....907-452-8036
Northern Fur Comapany....440-986-3366
Deaks fur Company....812-448-8494
VF Grace..... 907-272-6431

Awesome
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/15/20 08:25 PM

We have the Thompson Snares web page up and running. You can order right from the web page. We will continue to add more items on a daily basis.
www.thompsonsnares.com

The site wont come up
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 03:31 AM

Congrats, I got an old old wolf snare of his, no idea where I got it from, I think a army / navy surplus type store was going out of business and had them.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 03:42 AM

I have a Thompson wolf snare I bought in Alaska almost forty years ago.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 12:39 PM

I'm just finishing up reading Land of Fur and Gold. It's basically Raymond Thompson's Autobiography and it's more about his Life and family than about anything to do with trapping, but it is interesting to see how people lived in the teens through the 1930's. That guy changed jobs about as often as most people change underwear. Times were tough during the depression but he was relentless about trying to make a living selling magazine articles and trying to get his snare business off the ground.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 01:20 PM

www.thompsonsnares.com

Brian... I don't know about anyone else, but when I click on the Thompson link … it won't connect.

Garry-
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 01:54 PM

Brian mention that they will be "...loading the Thompson snares..."...always thought this should have been done before shipping out....this is a great improvement in my mind.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Southern Snares aquired Thompson Snares? - 02/16/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Antelope Montana
From the 71-72 Bauer's catalog. [Linked Image]

I have a couple of 4x, 5x and even a couple 6x that I bought back in the 70s as a kid just to have them but used the small ones all the time for coon and fox as a kid because they were inexpensive
© 2024 Trapperman Forums