Home

Putting pipe dream set to the test

Posted By: strike2x

Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/15/19 11:49 PM

Made some pipe dream sets for coyote today and wouldn't you know is started pouring about the time I parked the truck at the house. We will see how well the hold up. I know it can't be any worse than bedding in dirt. Wonder how many possums I will have in the morning. Lol
Posted By: 080808

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 02:11 AM

Keep us posted.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 09:11 AM

pic .please , like to see how other's use this set ,
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 06:51 PM

ttt

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 09:52 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For the weather I would say it works well. Never made a pipe dream set before yesterday and won't go back to dirt bed any time soon. I used an MB 550 with screen cut to fit inside jaws and covered sparingly with grass. I had some 3/4 and 1 inch pipe both White and gray I used. If you want to know how the set is made please watch Marks video posted on coyoteu.com. that man is the one who gets all the credit and thanks for sharing. Did I mention we had thunderstorm most of the night and 30 plus winds.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 09:55 PM

very nice,i was made a believer last season.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 09:56 PM

I am going to make a video tomorrow but let me warn you it will be short. Takes no time at all to make a set.
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 11:18 PM

That’s awesome and nice pics.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 11:53 PM

Nice catches gotta love the pipe set and Mark's bedding style
J
Posted By: 160user

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 11:57 PM

I must be the only one on here that has no idea what this set is or looks like.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/16/19 11:58 PM

You did great Greg! L.U. sent me the bottom 'cat photo a few minutes ago.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 12:13 AM

Is Zags using just Morton salt when he salts the sets?
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
I must be the only one on here that has no idea what this set is or looks like.

Search pipe dream set for coyotes,
Theres a pic of set on first page.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Is Zags using just Morton salt when he salts the sets?

Sure looks like he did in the freezing weather.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 01:20 AM

There is a big pipe dream thread on the first page of the strictly trapping side of this site
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 02:51 AM

Around here yet we will need much longer pvc pipe lengths so the pipe will show up above the water in our fields!

Bryce
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 09:18 AM

is that two cats or two pic. of same cat

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 10:48 AM

2.different cats. Getting ready to make check today.gonna make a few new sets also. Will get pictures. Also any catches. This is day 2 check.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 10:53 AM

Very nice strike, looking forward to the video.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Around here yet we will need much longer pvc pipe lengths so the pipe will show up above the water in our fields!

Bryce

I might recommend float sets for you. Lol
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/17/19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Originally Posted by bblwi

Bryce

I might recommend float sets for you. Lol

Ain't that the truth!

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:37 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is the set of pictures I took while making my set today. Starting from the natural ground cover. I have to lose a second time to get rest in.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:42 AM

Not letting me put finished pictures up. Will drop and try again.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:47 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And that is it. I shot video of making a few sets and have trail camera on one I feel has most potential. Hoping to put together a cool video with cat he at sets made on camera and hopefully footage of my coyote getting pinched.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:51 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Almost forgot to post my awesome catches today. Gotta love trap plugs. Wind supposed to die down so am hopeful nfor tomorrow.
Posted By: buckeye boy

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:59 AM

Nice pics,keep them coming.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 01:13 AM

That's how my sets usually look the next day too! Don't matter how hard I squint, I can't turn a possum into a fox.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 01:15 AM

My standard day two catch too.
Way to go!
Jim
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 04:28 AM

How does this set work in sand? I've been thinking about running a few, will the trap pack in tightly in sand?

Tried a couple years ago in sand but never felt like the trap was tight enough...

Maybe some members here might have a solution...

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 09:59 AM

I have mostly sand here and with it wet like now it tightens right up but when dry it doesn't matter what bedding method you use the trap has to be deep to be solid.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 10:09 AM

The real test will be when ground is frozen rock sold down several inches and it is zero to sub zero temps.
Then some freeze-thaw action for a few days with sun warming it up to just above freeze during day then dropping to well below freezing at night. Those are the tough conditions here where the minimal trap covering with dry material and not much of trap touching the bed area below will be tested. Whether the trap will remain stable, not be frozen down to the soil like a rock, and still fire appropriately by the set target. The pipe is just a place to put bait or lure instead of trying to hammer drill a dirthole in rock solid frozen ground.
Jim
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 12:50 PM

Great pictures!
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 01:36 PM

Keep it going bud!

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 01:45 PM

Jab,i thought that too last season and with conditions as bad as they could get last year-i was still really impressed.i did switch from 2 coiled bridgers to 4 coiled when it got bad. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
same set

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 04:52 PM

Nice one pcr2. I had another victim today. Have some cool video that I have to have my daughter edit so I can post too. I have to say that my normal catch wasn't until day 3 on a dirt bed set and I have caught 2 cats and 2 coyote on first night so I am getting more impressed. [Linked Image]

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 04:56 PM

Remake pictures [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/18/19 05:59 PM

pretty coyote

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:16 AM

Taking my 10 year old daughter bout today to check pipe dream progress. She is excited to go because we get the truck muddy. I am excited to have her go because she is right there helping and we have a good time. Hopefully will be posting catch pictures with her in them too. (Not her caught) lol. Good luck to all today.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:21 AM

Good luck today.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:21 AM

both my boys went every chance they could when young and i sure miss it.enjoy it and make some memories.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:51 AM

Hopefully will be posting catch pictures with her in them too. (Not her caught) lol. Good luck to all today.

Good luck today. I have pictures of my granddaughter caught in a trap! LOL

She enjoys setting them off when we are disabling the line ahead of bad weather. I taught her to step on the trap across the jaws to spring it. Occasionally she forgets and gets caught...or more likely she does it on purpose because she thinks its funny.

Looking forward to the pics.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:55 AM

grin

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:57 AM

I told her I would leave her overnight to see if she made a catch circle by the next morning. That put an end to it. grin

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 10:59 AM

Thank you for sharing this thread.
I used pipes last few years and had great success with the set too. I ready have a bucket of schedule 40 short lengths ready to go for this season. Still playing with the bed itself. In january here our ground is rock solid frozen down a foot or more depending on the moisture in the soil. I've learned to pound in beds ANYWHERE I think that I might want to put in a set later because it will be a challenge to make them later. I carry a pick axe for late season dirt chipping. The thaw in sun during day then hard freeze at night can literally stick traps down the ground hard to where they cant bust loose to fire, even with no dirt covering. Am going to try waxed dirt under the trap edges this season to see if that will help.
Good luck and keep the pics and stories coming!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/19/19 01:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Pipe Dreams ?

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 12:47 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Couple catches from today. The coon was in a set bedded with screen and grass but I put a dirt hole in be wise I didn't have enough pipes with me and the set is a hike from the truck. The coyote was in a set with a pipe as a scent post and screen and grass bed.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 02:09 AM

Seems to be working pretty good for you. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 10:42 AM

The area I am trapping doesn't have the high population not coyote I would like but it is close to home. I am moving up one county next week where there are a lot more.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 10:45 AM

i'm 10-12 days out from a slow start in my better yote spots.

noticed a Lot more coyote sign while scouting this fall than ive found in the last 4 or 5 yrs and haven't been seeing crap for reds again.anyone of ya's also noticing this or did i just whine enough somebody above felt sorry for me.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 11:01 AM

Strike2X... nice catches- what's your go-to bait for the pipe?

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 05:02 PM

The area I am trapping doesn't have the high population not coyote I would like but it is close to home. I am moving up one county next week where there are a lot more.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 05:05 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Today's catches.
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 05:14 PM

Love these updates. Thank you.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 05:22 PM

Keep em coming , I’ve got a few weeks to wait yet !

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 05:29 PM

So all know the test is taking place in a 40 mile round trip from my home in town. I set 10 locations with 3 sets each. So far no trap has made 2 catches. I will post one week results after tomorrow check. All sets are pipe with screen and grass cover.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/21/19 06:14 PM

If I may . what is the overall hope here? As far as I understand the whole point of the pipe dream is to keep sets operational . are you simply letting them be or just looking at your catch rate?
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/22/19 02:39 PM

This shows how to make the set to help some new trappers out. Thought is was a good video. Great pics so far thanks for posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR71GD9Fqk0

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 12:13 AM

My intention was to make a number of sets, then leave them be for a week unless there was a catch. The weather this past week was ideal for such a test. The first night was thunderstorm, next 2 mornings were around 20, lots of wind and it rained 4 of the 7 days. The sets are still in and I am continuing with my note keeping. My cat h for the week was 7 opossum, 1 racoons, 1 red fox, 3 bobcats and 4 coyotes. Some may think those numbers are not great but income them acceptable for the area I was trapping and using a set I had never tried before. On occasion I will update and put pictures up. I am working on a video that I will post to my YouTube channel and post the link here. This year is a year of experiments for me. My next experiment is to set 10 pipe sets in a 60 yard stretch and see how many critters I can get in one night. My best in the same area was 3 red fox, 1 skunk and 1 coon in the same night. Was waiting for fox to prime a bit more before I do that one. [Linked Image]
Only picture I have today is my new trapping toy. Some people spend thousands on a quad or side by side, I got this little Jeep for 100 bucks and spent today replacing wheel bearing, break calliper, broken fail light and a set of tires. All bought at a salvage yard for 250. I have 350 and a days labor in this thing. Only way I can afford to trap with prices the way they are.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
This shows how to make the set to help some new trappers out. Thought is was a good video. Great pics so far thanks for posting.

That may be a good video but it is not a Mark Zagger style pipe dream set. That is a set bedded in dirt with a pipe as a lure/ bait holder. Earlier in this post I put pictures of the set being made. The trap is stabilized/ suspended on the levers, screen over the pan to suspend grass or other natural Duff type cover. A lot of people make a set with a pipe and call it a pipe dream, I watched Marks own video on making the set and read articles writhen by and about him to try to get it right. If Mark is here anywhere I want to say I hope I did well. I think your version of this set is very innovative.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 01:06 AM

2X

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 01:36 AM

That may be a good video but it is not a Mark Zagger style pipe dream set. That is a set bedded in dirt with a pipe as a lure/ bait holder. Earlier in this post I put pictures of the set being made. The trap is stabilized/ suspended on the levers, screen over the pan to suspend grass or other natural Duff type cover. A lot of people make a set with a pipe and call it a pipe dream, I watched Marks own video on making the set and read articles writhen by and about him to try to get it right. If Mark is here anywhere I want to say I hope I did well. I think your version of this set is very innovative.

Sorry, I will study more!! grin
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 04:55 AM

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 10:59 AM

Thanks for adding that link ADC. That was the video I first watched. On that same sight is some good reading on the set.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/23/19 10:53 PM

Saw a demo at the ISTA Convention on a set like this and he used some longer grass layed over the pan and under the jaws instead of a pan cover. Then he folded some more grass over to make a thicker clump in his hand and used this Handi-Cut with a very sharp replacable blade to snip the grass over the trap and let it fall to cover it and blend it in. The demo was in the grass and you couldn't see the trap after he was done.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/24/19 12:27 AM

Saw a demo at the ISTA Convention on a set like this and he used some longer grass layed over the pan and under the jaws instead of a pan cover. Then he folded some more grass over to make a thicker clump in his hand and used this Handi-Cut with a very sharp replacable blade to snip the grass over the trap and let it fall to cover it and blend it in. The demo was in the grass and you couldn't see the trap after he was done.

[Linked Image]

I was doing a set kinda like that way before anyone knew what a pipe dream are was. Scissors, snip grass or hay, and use a small clump of hay for a backing with lure stick up off the ground in the clump. Last year I used it with dowel rods and wool glued on for a lure holder. Gonna try pipe and pieces of garden hose this year. Any way it sure beats a dirt hole in the rain.
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/24/19 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by PAskinner

[Linked Image]

I was doing a set kinda like that way before anyone knew what a pipe dream are was. Scissors, snip grass or hay, and use a small clump of hay for a backing with lure stick up off the ground in the clump. Last year I used it with dowel rods and wool glued on for a lure holder. Gonna try pipe and pieces of garden hose this year. Any way it sure beats a dirt hole in the rain.

Sounds like you were making a hay set, and well on your way to making a garden hose set. The pipe dream set is more complex than the lure/bait holder and how the grass was snipped. But, everyone seems to miss that. I've covered traps with grasses, straw, hay...whatever. Doesn't qualify as the pipe dream set. The pipe dream set is another tool in the trappers arsenal, but like any tool..only as good as the person using it.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/24/19 01:35 AM

I made 10 standard dirt hole sets tonight on a property for another little experiment and it took way longer than the pipe dream sets I made for this test that started this post. One thing I am trying to see is how much bad weather the pipe dreams will take before they don't produce. I know I will be remaking and fixing dirt bedded sets at least a couple times before I have to do anything to the pipes. The experiment with the 10 sets is to see if prebaiting is productive or a waste of time. Also to see how many traps I can fill in one night that are so close together.. expect pictures tomorrow.

Re: Putting pipe dream set to the test - 10/24/19 03:42 AM

I found Marks article on Coyote U and now after reading it I understand better why it is so good. The trap is not sitting on the ground in the mud and water to freeze up. The rain or melting snow can pass right through the hay chaf over the screen and past the trap into the air space below it and not effect it's operation. I have ingested so much information on this site and at the convention my brain was bouncing around but now I understand. The jaws of the trap are pinched in the trap bed suspending the trap off the ground. Now to find some steel screen for MB 550's and 650's! Thanks strike2x for this post to finally get me to understand the set and thanks Mark for coming up with it. grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums