Home

Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks

Posted By: ambush32

Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 04:31 AM

Anyone notice more sightings of mature bucks in the rain?

More than a month ago I spotted a nice mature buck by the house actually 2 at that time and it was pouring rain time was about 12:20 AM ..Not thinking much at that time figured they would leave the area shortly after small game season started..They were crossing a prairie grass area which borders a public hunting area
Which is stuffed full of a popular stand..

2nd sighting around 12:15 AM rainy night but only one of the bucks..Ok I get it it's time to scout the popular stand I know this area quite well and there is 3 white oak trees together in the popular stand..figured he would feed in the heavy cover after daylight without concern of human intrusion...

Slipped in a few mornings but no sighting of him..Must be he left the area..

Today I was scouting and found a really high rub on a Cherry tree, figured it was him leaving private land into the popular and hooking around to the prairie grass where a lot of does hand out...

So tonight I got out of work an hour early...About 11:20 to my surprise he was crossing coming out of a horse pasture into standing corn, it was pouring rain...

I drive by these areas all week long and never have I seen him if the weather is nice, just rainy nights..

I've scouted in and out but can't pin him down, I'm guessing I need to hunt him in the rain as he seems comfortable moving in the rain...

When I was on a DIY bow hunt in Nebraska it was raining cats and dogs when I woke up, should I go out I decided yes I'm here to hunt...no kidding I had to take my boots off to cross the creek that was waist high to get to my tree..Just after daylight it's still pouring and a huge non-typical came out of the standing corn never offering me a shot...I've hunted Nebraska prior to but never seen a buck like this...

Illinois public ground I've seen some real pigs in the rain...

So, how many hunters have seen some of their best mature bucks in the rain?

I hate shooting one in the rain but it's some of my best sightings..
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 04:38 AM

I didn't know you could hunt when it wasn't raining -- it rains here almost every day during season. but yes i have noticed deer coming out more in light rain- bucks and does.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 05:00 AM

I took my 2 biggest bucks in the rain. I've taken and seen some studs in decent weather but my 2 biggest were in the rain.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 09:57 AM

Bow hunting I'd wait it out, but boy if you can be in the stand or blind that first hour After a couple days of rain....thats when Ive seen the most.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 10:09 AM

"Anyone notice more sightings of mature bucks in the rain?"

Yes, around 40 or years ago. They simply act different when it is raining, both buck and does. That is until gun season really starts, then they really act different.
Posted By: Twogunwilly

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 10:24 AM

Not worth the risk of losing a blood trail & a nice buck by bowhunting in the rain IMO
Posted By: snowy

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 11:49 AM

You might be on to something with rain and big bucks. I have also seen some of the bigger bucks right after a rain mostly. I don't hunt whitetail very often but I have witnessed seeing the better bucks in light rain and after a rain.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 01:03 PM

Hunting in light to moderate rain, or right after a good downpour, is my favorite time to hunt.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 01:47 PM

if we are talking rut time and warmer weather a rain will help cool the bucks off and promote more daylight activity. Just after a rain all deer can use their sense of smell better because the air is clean.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 02:22 PM

We used to cross walk the corn fields in the rain bow hunting. It was miserable at times but the action was great as with the corn being wet, you could get real close to them without them hearing you. Scored a few nice ones that way.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 03:07 PM

I wish I could figure out how to post videos, but last year we arrived at our place in Illinois on Nov 1st around noon and it was a heavy rain all evening. I figured since I was 8 hrs away from my family I was going to hunt anyway. The other guys stayed at the house. It never let up but I saw 15 deer and several bucks, and I videod a 150s 13pt at 30 yards that I should have took but we had a huge buck on camera I was hunting for. I killed my biggest buck last year which was a 193" buck in some nasty weather an hour before last light. It was sleeting and snowing and foggy. So I love to hunt rainy nasty days
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/16/19 04:13 PM

Love a good rain / semi-poor weather conditions for the big fellas to get some confidence in moving around.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/17/19 02:11 AM

Best time is right after a rain regardless of what time it is. They get the urge to freshen up all of their rain-ruined scrapes.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Rainy day/night mature whitetail bucks - 10/18/19 06:14 PM

Well that didn’t take long for the word to get out about that rainy day buck I’d been seeing.

5 cars in the public parking area last night.

Never seen that before. Some local yapped to much.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums