Home

Trapping vechile

Posted By: coonman220

Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 06:07 PM

How long can u expect ur clutch to last for mileage on lite Chevy pickup ? Not sure if notice something couple times or not , maybe was stick under wheel on pavement that felt like slipping
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 06:12 PM

If you don't ride the clutch, slip it taking off on hills or doing burnouts a loooooog time.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 06:17 PM

Just answer him or leave him alone. You all act like school girls.
Posted By: Jarhead620

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 06:41 PM

Yeah, I first thought he was interested in brands of hot sauce as possible bait

Jarhead
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 06:48 PM

162,000 on first one in '03 Ranger. Actually it was slave cylinder that started leaking so since it was in tranny decided to replace it all.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 07:02 PM

Anywhere from 100-200k miles is normal if you treat it nice. If it's slipping, just replace it before you get stranded. Do the whole kit-pressure plate, clutch disc, resurface/replace the flywheel, replace the rear main seal, replace the throwout bearing and slave cylinder. Do it all once and be done.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 08:05 PM

Hopefully not going out, how u tell? Does it all time or when cold start ? On a steep hill when start out ?
Posted By: run

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 08:12 PM

When you are @ a stop light put your transmission in neutral and let the clutch out. It saves the throwout bearing. I read that in an off-road magazine.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
How long can u expect ur clutch to last for mileage on lite Chevy pickup ? Not sure if notice something couple times or not , maybe was stick under wheel on pavement that felt like slipping

Don't throw good money after bad, coonman.

Time to plunk $40,000 to $60,000 cash down on a new coon-wagon.

You can alway's put your retread NAFA fur check down as a down payment.

You can finance a new ride after your NAFA bounced check is reissued

along with reimbursement of your bank's bad check charges.

Should be smooth sailing after that.

w
Posted By: 080808

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 08:22 PM

Add to the above. With all that money time to purchase a drone for scouting and maybe a few hundred trail camera.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 08:55 PM

Usually the slave cylinder will go bad before the clutch will. Unless you ride the clutch more than normal.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 10:34 PM

What does slave cylinder do
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 11:02 PM

Slave cylinder helps disengage the clutch, when you press clutch in its gets pressure from master cylinder and extends, pushes on fork that disengages clutch
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/16/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Usually the slave cylinder will go bad before the clutch will. Unless you ride the clutch more than normal.

Coonman220,

Put 289,000 on a 1992 Mazda Cab Plus and never had an issue with the clutch. I did notice that I had to make sure the clutch pedal was all the way to the floor when shifting from a gear to reverse. There should be an adjustment on the clutch pedal itself to give you more engagement of the clutch on the pressure plate.

The slave cylinder acts like a master cylinder that holds fluid to hydraulically operate the clutch. Most small pickups have them. Check to see if your Chevy has one..... It should be mounted on the firewall, right next to your brake masterclylinder. My Mazda had two of them,,the second mounted underneath the engine.
Check for leakage.

If you want to see if your clutch is slipping, apply the hand brake, put the car in low gear and slowly apply the gas, while slowly releasing the clutch pedal. If you get to 1000-1200 RPM and the car doesn't stall, your clutch IS slipping.

Don't let ADC and walleyed get you down...... They're just in awe of your trapping acumen!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Muskrat Love
Don't let ADC and walleyed get you down...... They're just in awe of your trapping acumen!

???

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 01:21 AM

Sounds like idea, not like idea of stalling engine but could. It has dbl overhead cam, I heard they have had trouble with them in that motor before. I have not yet. Not in long while, but have lug engine before by thinking in 1st gear an was in 3rd, I wondering what happens when stall engine when do that. Not good for engine. It is inline 4, bought it new, they have lots features on motor, something different with timing, variable valve ? Maybe that what they say at shop, had trouble with in that motor. Cable less accelater, lasar or sensor throttle , yes it has master cylinder for clutch, not leaking, I have heard gm master cylinders leaking, there may not be nothing wrong it , just notice something couple times an may not been, any pickup with over 200k, could expect anything happen, inline 4 cylinder has lots power. I think a 6 cylinder is better engine
Posted By: Walleyemike

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 01:23 AM

262,000 on a 02 Tacoma before it got loose and I beat it through the woods running hounds for 100K. I was surprised to see it looked to be original when swapped out.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 12:13 PM

Coonman, are you sure your engine isn't a 5 cylinder? Our family's Colorado has a 3.7 l. 5 cylinder. 2008 model.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 12:44 PM

Those colorados had both 4 and 5 cylinders. Horrible problems with timing chains and cam actuators (for the variable valve timing). Most of the issues came from people believing that they only have to change the oil every 10,000 miles. The oil turns to sludge and gums everything up. We were replacing timing chains at 15,000 miles, and that job is NOT fun.

As for clutch life, depends how you drive it. I've seen them go at 20,000 and seen them last 200,000.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 12:48 PM

Thanks, K snow.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:08 PM

I heard the 5 cylinder was a bad engine, I change oil every 3000

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:13 PM

I wouldn't say it was a bad engine, but it wouldn't be my first choice. But, the 5 cylinder wouldn't be either. GM had those trucks rebadged from Isuzus, part of the deal when they bought Isuzu to get the Duramax.

Every 3000 is great. That's about the best thing you can do for any engine, no matter what the OEM says about oil life. Remember, they sell cars and trucks.

This little Colorados will nickel and dime you the older they get. I'd start looking at a new(er) vehicle. Today's half tons with the new engines get better mileage than those little trucks.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:24 PM

I'm a huge fan of compact pickup trucks. Pick your brand but please don't go to full size. Our family's full size GMC Sierra is an absolute joke. Slower than molasses in January. I think it has less than 120,000 miles. But it takes 1 1/2 acres to turn it around. I hate full size trucks.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:27 PM

just got rid of a big ford cause it ate about as much as my buddies ex wife and took up almost as much room.got a back up alarm on her rascal last i heard.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:40 PM

The new "small" pickups are almost the size of older full sized pickups.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

You got that right. The newer Colorados and Canyons are pretty big. I have an 09 Canyon that is still on the smaller side, but I would definitely consider a newer version before I went full-size.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 02:54 PM

If you go back to 1950's the compact pickup trucks are the same size as the old full size pickups. You are right.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 03:41 PM

The new Ranger will hopefully give GM some competition.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 03:57 PM

The elder little Rangers liked fuel, but guys that ran em liked em.
I like full size but I haul more than post holes lol.

Like to hear more about buying new trucks and claiming a loss EVERY year.

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 07:52 PM

I meant, I heard the 5 cylinder was bad engine. Not 4 cyl, it has been good vechile for all use got out it, compared to some pickups could buy, I not ranger fan or Chrysler fan, gm has faults just like others, parts cheaper Ford or Chrysler , I think, 3 biggest things had go wrong, exhaust manifold crack, expensive with cast iron an converter. Fuel pump, tires. It be ok to put shocks in it now an tires by December. The converter is not plug up but not work , air bag not work, idk that, tpm , idk that , still good runner, put 2 set plugs in ever
Posted By: MJM

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 08:16 PM

coonman220 Get one of these and put MN plates on it. Then you can slip into MN and trap and get 38-39 mpg while you are doing it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
just got rid of a big ford cause it ate about as much as my buddies ex wife and took up almost as much room.got a back up alarm on her rascal last i heard.

Did the truck beep or the ex-wife when she backs up?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Trapping vechile - 10/17/19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by run

If you go back to 1950's the compact pickup trucks are the same size as the old full size pickups. You are right.

Yeah but how are they rated for towing and hauling?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums