Home

Worth Taking to the Taxidermist?

Posted By: conibearguy

Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:25 PM

Opinions? I know the overall decision is how well I like it, but I always like to hear thoughts.
Thanks,
Luke
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:29 PM

Very nice wood duck! If you have the disposable income, a taxidermist will preserve that trophy for a lifetime!

Chris
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:33 PM

Darn right I'd do that besides wood ducks don't stick around here after temperatures start to drop and snow falls I've never seen one during waterfowl season here.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:35 PM

not a mount man but they are something i'd like done someday.

the feathers are also highly desired for fly tyers.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:37 PM

If you don't already have 12 mounted woodies and you have wall space and you need it. By all means get it mounted, it's not covered in pin feathers so it should look great!
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:41 PM

I've messed with mounting a few birds. In my book, I'd mount it. Looks to be in great condition.

Think a lot about the pose before you decide. A standing mount on a piece of driftwood can be nice as well.

Good luck,

Pete
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
not a mount man but they are something i'd like done someday.

the feathers are also highly desired for fly tyers.

The yellow barred feathers make some of the best split wing dry fly feathers. If you don't get it mounted save those feathers for a flytier.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:46 PM

I would if I were you. I know a guy that has a beautiful log home that has just about every species of ducks and geese that God has made. My favorite mount of all them is the Wood Duck. That is a beautiful bird!

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:50 PM

We are actually loaded with wood ducks here. A lot have headed south but still a fair number.

I actually sell the feathers to fly tyers so if you or anyone needs any, keep me in mind. $8.50-$10 shipped.
Actually have a lot of flanks from ten woodies taken by three guys over opener here for $40 shipped also.

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
If you don't already have 12 mounted woodies and you have wall space and you need it. By all means get it mounted, it's not covered in pin feathers so it should look great!

Thank you! Only have a fish on the wall so thinking their colorful woodie would go perfect by my colorful brown trout.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:58 PM

I quit mounting birds because to me, they all look the same. Is there such as thing as a "trophy" wood duck unless the situation was special?

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by swift4me
I've messed with mounting a few birds. In my book, I'd mount it. Looks to be in great condition.

Think a lot about the pose before you decide. A standing mount on a piece of driftwood can be nice as well.

Good luck,

Pete

Thinking about a semi-side view of his cupping up like hes landing in the decoys so you can see that pretty breast and flank feathers.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I quit mounting birds because to me, they all look the same. Is there such as thing as a "trophy" wood duck unless the situation was special?

Does an animal have to be a trophy to mount?

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

For me, YES. That is why I have never done a shoulder mount of a doe.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

I used to be eaten up with waterfowl hunting and got into taxidermy just so I could mount ducks and geese. There are a lot of people that have never seen a duck other than a mallard in a park. Many of those same people were amazed at how beautiful and different the wild ducks were. If you are into waterfowl and like daydreaming about ducks and geese and a really cool looking mounted duck is something you like to look at. Get it mounted, I am sure someone visiting your house will also think it is very cool.
Posted By: natfintaxi

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:05 PM

Every critter is a trophy!!!
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:10 PM

I would ask you this..... Are you a regular waterfowl hunter? If not that is a great bird to have mounted. Very good color and a nice looking bird. If you are then the opportunity to get a much nicer bird are there. NOT THAT THIS IS NOT A NICE BIRD. My way of thinking over the years when it comes to waterfowl is that I would never mount a local bird. I have birds on the wall that are local birds and then a few years later taken a real nice northern bird that completely blows it out of the water. Then the question becomes what to do with what was a great bird and mount at the time when I'm hang this far superior bird next to it. A northern bird will be a bigger bird in general, have better color throughout, and what I call the mullet on a woodie will be much longer giving those white dye lines to run further down the back.

As you called it it's up to you what you do but being as you asked opinion that is my 2c
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:14 PM

How much is the taxidermist going to pay you for that duck? Could be worth it to sell it to him.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
How much is the taxidermist going to pay you for that duck? Could be worth it to sell it to him.

Can you sell a migratory bird to a taxidermist, or anyone else for that matter? I'm pretty sure you can't legally sell them.once they're mounted.

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy

Can you sell a migratory bird to a taxidermist, or anyone else for that matter? I'm pretty sure you can't legally sell them.once they're mounted.

Believe your right. I looked and fly tying feathers is about on of the few things you can sell them for.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:21 PM

Believe your right. I looked and fly tying feathers is about on of the few things you can sell them for.[/quote]

Which is somewhat ironic, as the feather trade (for women's hats) is what caused some of the over harvest of birds in the first place.

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:26 PM

I can sell a brown bear hide to a taxidermist and I can't sell a duck? crazy
Posted By: corky

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:31 PM

[Linked Image]

I get lots of positive comments on this guy, especially from nonhunters. Many think it is a foreign duck since they have never seen one in the City. Go for it.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 04:48 PM

You betcha! Did a little digging and you can only sell farm-raised waterfowl with the proper paperwork. Wild waterfowl are a no-go, they can only be gifted.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by corky
[Linked Image]

I get lots of positive comments on this guy, especially from nonhunters. Many think it is a foreign duck since they have never seen one in the City. Go for it.

Beautiful!
Posted By: phsnt guide

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 05:21 PM

w
Wood ducks are cool mounts. But if I had to do it again I would have mine mounted like snowy did. Mine is flying but I just think to get the true colors they look nicer standing. I know a lot of people have different reasons for mounting a animal but I have 18 mounts in my house some have no particular reason for mounting except I wanted to I guess. So if you have the funds and you are happy with your duck get it mounted.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 05:36 PM

The white and black bar back by the feet are one of the last feather to feather out,looks good to me,does'nt look shot up either.I think you'll be happy with it I have two mounted my self one was from oct 22 and the other was around the 12 of oct both turned out well.

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy

You betcha! Did a little digging and you can only sell farm-raised waterfowl with the proper paperwork. Wild waterfowl are a no-go, they can only be gifted.

That is the Lacey Act right?

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 10:05 PM

Lacy act is just export/ import I believe from dealing with it.

"The Lacey Act of 1900, or simply the Lacey Act is a conservation law in the United States that prohibits trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that have been illegally taken, possessed, transported, or sold."
Posted By: MJM

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/17/19 11:08 PM

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries

CHAPTER I: UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (CONTINUED)

SUBCHAPTER B: TAKING, POSSESSION, TRANSPORTATION, SALE, PURCHASE, BARTER, EXPORTATION, AND IMPORTATION OF WILDLIFE AND PLANTS (CONTINUED)

PART 20: MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING

Subpart J: Feathers or Skins

20.91 - Commercial use of feathers.

Any person may possess, purchase, sell, barter, or transport for the making of fishing flies, bed pillows, and mattresses, and for similar commercial uses the feathers of migratory waterfowl (ducks, geese, brant, and swans) killed by hunting pursuant to this part, or seized and condemned by Federal or State game authorities, except that:

(a) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter for millinery or ornamental use the feathers of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part; and

(b) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part.

[38 FR 22021, Aug. 15, 1973, as amended at 45 FR 70275, Oct. 23,
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 02:51 AM

Dirt- Your brown bear is the game of AK so it has state jurisdiction. You take it illegally in AK and try to sell it across state or international lines, then you're on the feds radar.

Migratory birds are considered international game so the fed gov is in charge. Most of the current laws are old from the early 1900s (such as the 3 round magazine load for a shotgun) and may not be applicable as much now as back then but the problem with laws is that they stay there unless someone repeals or modifies them. I've sold lots of upland game feathers because my state owns them. I have nothing to do with waterfowl parts and pieces, nothing but potential trouble. He**, the USWFS confiscated a 150 year taxi mount of some now endangered seabird out of a restaurant in ME a number of years ago. Really...what's the point, because they have the power to do so...? The laws that Congress pass usually have lots of "administrative holes" in them. Bureaucrats often sit around a table and fill those in as they see fit. Doesn't mean they're constitutional but until someone or some entity who has the money to challenge such practices in court shows up, such rules stand. And I speak as a "cousin" to the USFWS. At least I don't have to harass people if I get some ornery or power tripping hair up my bunger...
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 05:01 AM

I would find a really good taxidermist to do it and see if he will mount it standing/resting on a limb. I have never seen a wood duck walking or standing on the ground.
They seem to always be swimming into the thick stuff or flying away after I miss them 3 times.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 09:36 AM

go for it ,nice wood duck
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 11:44 AM

What seems like a few weeks ago I shot 2 drake woodies on the same day both where nice and I considered getting one mounted .As I thought about it I decided that I would get another someday that I would put on the wall that few weeks ago was back in 1983 or 84 . Same goes for a ring neck pheasant .Now any pheasant I killed here would be pen raised bird .If you can afford it now is the time to do it
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 01:05 PM

The only bird I have mounted is a pheasant. I think wood ducks are very pretty and someday I will have one done. I have a whitetail doe mounted and I probably get more positive comments about that deer than the bucks.
Posted By: cls84

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/18/19 01:28 PM

My opinion is any animal can be a trophy to any one. Bird wise I raise wild waterfowl and other birds so I've seen my fair share of birds go through life and molting cycles. As talked about yes you have to be licensed by the state and feds. On wood ducks look at the side pockets and/or the mohawk. if the white and black tipped feathers are not full (a lot of them) but the mohawk is good it makes a better flyer then stander. The side pocket is usually the last to develop. Fyi I also was a taxidermist years ago but have since given up my license.

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/21/19 02:08 PM

Thank you for the input.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Worth Taking to the Taxidermist? - 10/21/19 04:47 PM

Wood ducks are gorgeous birds. That one looks to be in great shape. I'd mount it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums