Home

CNG fueled trucks ....question

Posted By: MChewk

CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 03:40 PM

I saw a nice used truck for a decent price...low miles. Saw that it had a CNG label on truck side with a mounted tank in bed. My question is can these vehicles ALSO be run on regular gasoline? And if so is there a switch to ALLOW either gasoline to be used or CNG fuel? Is there anything to be aware of with these type of fuel systems??? Thanks ahead of time....
Posted By: run

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 03:52 PM

Was it a Ford? I think you can run regular gas but I don't have 1st hand experience.

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 03:54 PM

If you have the money, I would buy it. Buy first, ask questions later.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 03:57 PM

Yes you can run on regular gas.Typically they start on 1 tbsp of gas before switching to CNG. I should be set up to switch over when the CNG pressure is to low. My father in law builds CNG systems. In process of sending one to Brazil right now.

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 03:58 PM

There is a web sight that lists all the CNG filling stations Ours is Barcelona, NY.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 04:35 PM

24 years ago , we were talking about CNG cars , they even had a small compressor you could hook up to the natural gas at your house and fill your CNG vehicle right in your own garage in trials at the time.

many cities and county parks departments have switched to them

all our school buses run propane now .

much cleaner burning much longer on an oil change last a long time and these places have a fill station onsite.

it makes a lot of sense if you can find a place close by to fill up or if they ever got the home compressor approved for sale

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 04:45 PM

We have a fleet of new garbage trucks that come out of Michigan to fill up on their way to NY city and New Jersey.

our station

We get a lot of tractor trailers too that top off. Diesels I believe run 60/40. Still a huge savings for a company. Our CNG is like $2.00 a gallon equivalent.

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the info...it is a Dodge Ram...it was touched on but let me ask again can a CNG engine ALSO run on reg/premium gasoline?

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 06:16 PM

Yes. And a lot of guys forget to run the petroleum gas down and end up with stale gas as they are always running the CNG because it's cheaper.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 06:41 PM

It has to be set up that way. If its not a custom build its a dedicated cng. The problem your going to have is those tanks expire. I had this happen to me once. Check the year against how long the tanks last. You can't get them retcertified Don't fall for that. Most people selling their used cng vehicle are aware of this and dontwant the bill to replace the tanks. I came to hate mine in the end. Half my bed was tank storage because ithad an expansion added on. Your power is decreased by roughly ten percent. Are they cheap? Yes. Do they burn clean? Very much so. But when its time to replace those tanks. Which is as certain as death and taxes. Be ready for a very large bill. I was quoted 3k at the time per tank. Labor was not even discussed.

Just my experience with them.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 06:47 PM

Oh and if it is a dedicated and you want to switch it over yes the engine is capable of running on gas.

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 06:53 PM

Thanks,steelflight.
Posted By: Bob

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 07:36 PM

I work in the oil and gas industry and the amount of natural gas that we just burn off because infrastructure can’t handle it is astounding. With more infrastructure cng would be an extremely cheap way to fuel anything. But that would take politicians to pull their heads out of their rears and approve said infrastructure.

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 08:36 PM

Thanks very much for your comments guys...very helpful stuff.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: CNG fueled trucks ....question - 10/17/19 09:45 PM

Steelflight: Thank You, Good post, very informative.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums