Home

Duolingo

Posted By: jk

Duolingo - 10/20/19 12:14 AM

Anyone studying a foreign language on this web site?......jk
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 12:16 AM

Yup.

Spanish, French, Italian, Russian and German.

Main focus is Spanish though.
Posted By: Dewey S

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 12:57 AM

I have been using it for a few years to study Spanish. I'm pretty good at reading Spanish but I still have a hard time understanding a Spanish speaker and carrying on a conversation.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dewey S
I have been using it for a few years to study Spanish. I'm pretty good at reading Spanish but I still have a hard time understanding a Spanish speaker and carrying on a conversation.

I listen to Spanish radio on my way to work, it seems to help. I still have trouble with confidence in having an actual conversation. But, I’ve learned that they are also bilingual and understand that learning a second language is hard and they usually speak slower if they know you have an interest and are trying to learn, it is a two way street.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 01:54 AM

I have started Spanish a few times but have never followed through for the long haul. I can understand some and get what they are talking about but not good at speaking it.

I have enjoyed learning it during the long winter months.

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 12:50 PM

I have been on this for two years they just told me. After a little gooph off timein Japan in the late 60s. So I thought what the heck, I am studying japanese = it is different to say the least. What do all those icons mean, ligots and emeral something etc? I earn things and do not know what they are good for. Do they ever answer a question?.......jk
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 01:34 PM

I think you have to have a very good understanding of how our American language is made up with all the parts of a sentences etc JMO
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 02:02 PM

When I was young I learned Spanish and Russian.

I got the app earlier this year for French and Polish. If you stick with it it helps but its best if you can find native speakers to converse with .

Media also helps. Personally I like watching sitcoms.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 03:08 PM

If you're so inclined, you might want to find a church that caters to the ethnic/language group whose language you are trying to learn.
That way you are exposed to a subject you are familiar while at the same time being exposed to a language you aren't so familiar with.

I've been going to a Slavic (Russian/Ukrainian/etc) church for about two years. The third Sunday of each month is almost all in Russian, the other Sundays mostly English. Although learning the language is not the reason I go to the church, I've been surprised at how much I am a starting to pick up.

Another perk you'll probably find at a Russian, Spanish, or other foreign language church is great food; don't miss the pot-lucks.

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 06:29 PM

I am up in the north central part of Pa. do not know of any Japanese related organization here. But do have a friend of a friend in our favorite state of California who some how gets on the computer and sees my answers to the questions and tells me what I did wrong sometimes. To me conversation is much easier than listening to TV, I can make out some words occasionally, but not enough to understand a sentence. That is probably due to the person understanding that I am just a learner......jk Ps "getting there", you are right. I do not know English grammar and I am trying to learn a foreign language grammar
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 07:21 PM

I speak two languages...English and Profane.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 07:26 PM

Not yet but I'm going to Michigan next year so I probably will try.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 07:32 PM

i speak English and coonman 220
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 07:35 PM

Wife used it to learn Italian for our trip to Italy and Malta this summer. For doing it for about 9 months she got pretty good at it and was able to read and help with translations on things.

Nice thing is most places actually learn English, so we could get along great between what she knew and what they knew in English.

-TJ
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:14 PM

I'm pretty proficient in spanglish
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:16 PM

Hey Holmes--don't count

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
Hey Holmes--don't count

That would be Ebonics

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:27 PM

Yo jesus why you no vienes a trabajar................spanglish
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
i speak English and coonman 220

Is there an app for that?
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 08:45 PM

About 32 years ago I bought a casset course for Spanish. I put a set of head phones into my muffs and listened for about 8 hours a day for several months. Was traveling in Costa Rica and got myself engaged to a gal that spoke no English. I drug her off to Alaska and just spoke Spanish for 3 plus years
I pretty close to bilingual by that time. Still married after over 30 years.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Duolingo - 10/20/19 09:36 PM

Sounds like you cheated, she didn’t know where you were taking her!!! Just kidding of course. Congrats on thirty years !!!
Posted By: cotton

Re: Duolingo - 10/21/19 01:56 AM

i speak English pretty fair and redneck great
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Duolingo - 10/21/19 06:02 PM

My wife is Polish, first generation here in the US. She was born about 10mo after her folks got off the boat. Her first 7 years, she only spoke Polish. When she was in school, they sent a speech therapist home with her a few days a week to have someone who spoke English around for a little extra practice. She says she taught herself English by watching American cartoons. No one down here speaks Polish, so she used Duolingo occasionally to keep up on it. I have used to help me learn a bit of Polish, but it is a very difficult language to learn if you all you have ever know is English. When her family comes to visit, they do speak some English because I'm there. But often times, parts of the conversation go back to their native tongue. I need to keep up on it, but it takes a lot of time and dedication.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums