Home

Does anyone love their job?

Posted By: Finster

Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:49 AM

I hear fables of people that love their job...…. It's kind of like bigfoot..... I hear about it but never see it. Who on here truly loves their job? I mean to the point that they can't wait to get to work and are bummed when the day is done? I make a decent living but hate mine and this working for a living is getting in the way of my hobbies wink Oh how I wish I could just hit the lottery and not have to worry about money.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:51 AM

No I don't enjoy my job … I am retired... and I never get a day off or a vacation … and the pay is terrible.

Garry-

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Actor
No I don't enjoy my job … I am retired... and I never get a day off or a vacation … and the pay is terrible.

Garry-

You poor man.... laugh
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:54 AM

I like my job but don't like the company
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Actor

Garry-

That's true work never gets in the way so you always have time to get the projects done and one day leads into another heck some times I'm not sure what day it is when I'm really busy not sure what month. LOL
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:19 AM

Working as a photographer for Playboy does get old, but I do love my job!!
Posted By: trappercosmo

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:19 AM

here lately i have found myself hating my job and really thinking of a career change
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:26 AM

I never had a job that I didn't truly enjoy. 24 years in the USAF as a bomb tech. Got to blow things up, learned how to disarm everything from a 22 cal round to a thermonuclear warhead, and had camaraderie with other bomb techs that was tight. After that I went straight into beaver trapping full time for 28 years. After dad passed, I got to take over Dobbins' Products, and I love it. I don't think I could work a job I didn't enjoy.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:31 AM

I wouldn't say i truly enjoy my job but i work with a great crew and have an awesome boss. Dont dread going to work every day and once in awhile i even look forward to going in. 12 more years and im out of there lol
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:31 AM

Being a proof-reader,.I can substantiate your dedication!,....we're all in it together! smile
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota

Being a proof-reader,.I can substantiate your dedication!,....we're all in it together! smile

Sometimes I do forget to put film in the camera and then we have to shoot the pictures again!!! grin grin
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:58 AM

That's where memory comes in to play,..I must admit however,I fall short in that category,....probably my obsession with re-takes! :,..oh well,..i'll live with it.. grin
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 05:09 AM

25 years working in my own stores was great. Nice folks as customers and not too many employees. I loved going to work most every day unless the ducks were flying.

Retirement isn't bad either.

Pete
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 08:34 AM

I love my job, i just cant stand the person I report to.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 08:50 AM

Really enjoy my job. Self employed I lawn care business. Does get a little crazy at times, but get a lot of satisfaction out of a beautiful lawn. Also drive semi for a farmer hauling grain to market. Mainly my winter job . I enjoy driving, not really a job. Farmer just tells me on Monday what and where to haul and leaves me alone. Sometimes I don't see him all week
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 09:04 AM

love my job but the other strippers can be a pain.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 10:06 AM

Yes, I love my job.
Jim
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
I love my job, i just cant stand the person I report to.

I have been in that situation before .But think about how bad it would be if you hated your job and the people you report to
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 10:15 AM

Holding piglets for pig castrator was one of the best jobs in the past 53 yrs of jobs! Present job is a little stressful. Wondering where I'm going hunting for bear and doe with muzzleloader today?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 10:24 AM

I have only had one job that I did not enjoy, I worked in a building. My favorite was operating heavy equipment. Now I’m kind of a “man of leisure” however I don’t know how much longer as I recently was offered an opportunity to join a crane operation. That sounds like a lot of fun!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 10:24 AM

I teach solo synchronized swimming. It's super slow right now and hard work. But I know if I hang in there it will be rewarding.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:20 AM

I absolutely despise my job. But it’s all I’ve done the last ten years and all I know how to do, I’m god at it and make really good money and can’t afford to quit, wife and 4 little ones depend on it. It’s almost hard to fathom the possibility of loving work lol
Posted By: keets

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:37 AM

I'm self employed...I love my job 90% of the time
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:45 AM

There are no perfect jobs, but I learned when I was in my 20s that if you enjoy what you do, you will be a much happier person, a better father and husband. Life is too short to get up every day and go to a job you don't like. If you are doing it because it pays good, start adjusting your living expenses so you can change. Start today.

I have been fortunate to make a decent living in the fishing and hunting business, but I'll never get rich doing this. I get up every morning and I don't mind getting to work on the things that need to be done. If I need a break, I take a break. Some days are a grind, but most of the time I really enjoy what I'm doing. There are no perfect jobs, but this one is darn close... for me.

And sorry to burst your bubble Finster, but your statement about winning the lottery Really brought a laugh from me. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Serioulsy, my best advice to you younger guys is to find something you really enjoy doing and is fulfilling on a deeper level than just paying the bills. No amount of money can make up for going to a job you hate.

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
I teach solo synchronized swimming. It's super slow right now and hard work. But I know if I hang in there it will be rewarding.

Hey that's what I do too. Maybe we should get together.
Posted By: run

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:48 AM

I'm self-employed so I have to take a day @ a time.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by Catch22

Hey that's what I do too. Maybe we should get together.

grin

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by keets
I'm self employed...I love my job 90% of the time

me too but i'm always fighting with the boss.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 12:04 PM

I'm an auto mechanic. It used to be a passion for me, I used to love cars and working on cars. Not so much anymore, now it's just a way to pay the bills. I'm good at it, I suppose if I have to work this is what I'd like to do. And the place I work is alright I guess, it pays well and the benefits rock, but I wouldn't say I love it. I don't hate it either though. Work isn't life for me, it's just this side thing I do so that I can live my life. No matter what happens there, as soon as I walk out the door I don't give that place a second thought. My kids barely know what I do for work, and I prefer to keep it that way for now at least.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 12:10 PM

I am a commercial construction estimator, one exam away from certification. I am specialized in aluminum and glass curtain wall. Most days, I really enjoy my job as it is always different and challenging and there is plenty to hold my interest (I am a bit ADHD)
Most days, I have to be an engineer, a lawyer, and an accountant. I need to understand the roles of project managers, site super's, installers, non-skilled assemblers, machinists, etc.

My work has brought me to Detroit, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, NY NY, Rochester NY, Hershey PA, Bielefeld Germany and more.

There are days however, when the workload and stress get the best of me... sometimes I just want to kill muskrats for money LOL
Posted By: Don

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 12:23 PM

Work to live, don't live to work!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
There are no perfect jobs, but I learned when I was in my 20s that if you enjoy what you do, you will be a much happier person, a better father and husband. Life is too short to get up every day and go to a job you don't like. If you are doing it because it pays good, start adjusting your living expenses so you can change. Start today.

I have been fortunate to make a decent living in the fishing and hunting business, but I'll never get rich doing this. I get up every morning and I don't mind getting to work on the things that need to be done. If I need a break, I take a break. Some days are a grind, but most of the time I really enjoy what I'm doing. There are no perfect jobs, but this one is darn close... for me.

And sorry to burst your bubble Finster, but your statement about winning the lottery Really brought a laugh from me. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Serioulsy, my best advice to you younger guys is to find something you really enjoy doing and is fulfilling on a deeper level than just paying the bills. No amount of money can make up for going to a job you hate.

Best post on this thread, especially the last paragraph!

Hating what you do for a living and not having the guts to make a change is a miserable way to go through life.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 12:50 PM

I absolutely love my job.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 01:02 PM

I loved my job and did till the day I retired (38 years). There were days here and there that weren't pleasant put I really did love what I did. It was my passion and it was something I wanted to do.

I did retire early but was the hardest decision I every made. With calling the shots in critical decisions everyday responsibilities for my job, retiring was the toughest one that I had to make, because I truly loved what I did.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 01:44 PM

I really liked railroad work.The work on the section gangs included lots of different jobs,daily,weekly,monthly and seasonally.There were many different jobs available to bid on,also like machine operator,truck driver,work train etc..If you didn't like one job or location,there were bulletined jobs every month.Section Gang foreman was good,if you had a good crew,which most of the time I did.Lots of stress foremaning a large production gang of 60-80 men and machines like the steel gang or tie gang,But good money.I did that work for about 5 years before I got married.Did surface gang work,brush gang work,did some track inspection(working alone).Only job I didn't care for was working in the yards.I enjoyed working on the remote Moosonee line and living in the bush along the line in the early days.Just like a trapping cabin-no electricity,no running water,heat with a woodstove.Lots of guys didn't like it,Seen greenhorns get off the train to work one day,next day they were back on the train heading home to mamma.We had to cut our own wood after work for the bunkhouse,and if no one on the crew owned a chainsaw you had to cut with a bucksaw.If you had a good foreman,he would take you out on a Friday afternoon every second week and we would cut and haul 3 lorry loads of firewood-2 for the 4 man and one for the section bunkhouse.Lots of stuff done by necessity when living in the bush that I cannot relate,If you know what I mean,we never went short of food.Hunting fishing and trapping was daily activity living remote.The married section men would build a cabin on the remote sections and live there with their wife and family.At one time there were little communities in the bush all along the railines,3 or 4 families every 15-20 miles.Some places a logging camp would be built along the line,and a small group of families would spring up there.Those days are gone forever now.
But the best was the last 7 or 8 years when I landed the beaver control job.Full time beaver trapping almost unlimited overtime,hardly ever seen a boss,and got to travel the whole system on a regular basis killing beaver and lowering water.Did railroading for 36 years,seen lots of changes over those years.Early years working on the track up north was by far the best,not counting the beaver control work before I retired in 2012.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 01:44 PM

I enjoyed working construction, but I like to see progress. Take raw materials and make something from it is neat to me. Felling timber was probably the most Fun I had at work, got paid to be outside all day, but it was not easy. Now, being a LEO, thing are never boring. But you spend your career in the worst part of everyone else's life which can be difficult and stressful at times.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 02:07 PM

Absolutely hate it, had job for prettner 30 years with 4 weeks vacation an use lot for trapping , they went out, am 59 1/2 an work 2 low pay part time jobs, 1 better pay, easier work. No complaints, the other is a total pos but close home
Posted By: MB750

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 02:15 PM

Now that I'm retired I love my job. Worked for myself before. My boss could be a pain at times.
Posted By: Raizmup

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 02:18 PM

Nope don't love mine. I love what they pay me though! Got 14 more years of it. 5 weeks vacation, 401k and full pension. I can't afford not to stay with them. I work for a huge Nuclear company so it does stay pretty interesting.
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 02:22 PM

I am an elementary teacher and also coach. I did not get into this field to get rich. I love making learning fun for these kids because anymore kids dread coming to school. I will have my summers free to spend on the lakes, ponds, and rivers wetting a line.
Posted By: 653

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 02:37 PM

love my job 95% of the time!! have my own co. for 40 plus yrs doing const. plastering and stone work. had some really interesting employees over the years that make life fun. not so much tho when I leave em to hunt or trap. oh well cant have everything , where would you put it right?
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:31 PM

Enjoy my job??? Not sure, I've been doing it now for 52 years. I'm at the point where I can come and go as I please. If it's hunting season, I'm gone. If the fish are biting, I'm gone. I feel like I'm too old to retire after all this time. grin
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:34 PM

Full time lure maker and ADC operator. How blessed can someone be to enjoy looking forward to each day.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:43 PM

People think I have some great jobs. Some of them say things like "You must love your job? and" I wish I had your job!" Most days I dread it. Some days are fun. It is dealing with people and the weather and the uncertainty of the job that I dread.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 03:44 PM

Can't say i love my job, but sure do like the $$$$$, benefits and the schedule is a trappers dream. Never work more than 4 days in a row and get 7 off once a month.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:14 PM

I have worked with kids since 1980. Ran a group home for 8 years with 8 full time juvenile delinquents 24-7-365. Burned out but love it. Teacher for 27 years now, love everyday with the kids! (parents well) Coached wrestling for 27 years, Head softball coach for 27 years now. Love it! (parents well) Athletic Director 12 years very rewarding (parents well) Love my job love the kids, different every 50 minutes. Couple more years I get to graduate! LOL
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:18 PM

I worked in the mines, starting at 18 and retired at 55. I loved being underground, and worked for great companies with the best workers anywhere. But mining done right is a young man’s game, and I was able to move on to my real life’s calling....hunting, trapping, fishing and messing with the grandkids.

But if I could turn back the clock to 1976, I’d do it exactly the same.
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:20 PM

I enjoy my work.
Plus I like eating, being warm and dry at night, buying things and the outdoors.
Seeing how my trust fund was stolen bya mix up at the hospital, I am forced to work.
LOL
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 04:33 PM

Most of the time I do. Nothing like rolling into the harbor with a good load of nice fish. Been a few times though I told myself if I make it home alive I’m never doing this again. Get to see some amazing things and places.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 05:04 PM

No...and Yes. It's unfortunately very political and subject to the whims of public outcry, corporate greed and changes in administration. Have to check your soul at the door some days. BUT....it affords me time off for trapping. So to rationalize it, I treat my trapline like a job, work my butt off and love it.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 05:25 PM

I was fortunate I guess. I had a job for 32 years I enjoyed and liked doing the work. I then found a job I enjoyed as much for 5.5 years until I was 66.
I had two short term jobs, one before service that I did not like. Being drafted was not enjoyable but being in Nam the time actually went very fast. Would not sign up for that again though.

Bryce
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 05:29 PM

Love my job. Always outside and rarely do the same thing for more that 3-4 days except for harvest time. Great job and great life

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
People think I have some great jobs. Some of them say things like "You must love your job? and" I wish I had your job!" Most days I dread it. Some days are fun. It is dealing with people and the weather and the uncertainty of the job that I dread.

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me "I wish I had your job" because I actually could retire. They see the hunting and fishing all over North America, the free stuff writers get, all the gravy, what they do not see is the long hours grinding out stories/content/videos at a computer and selling, constant selling, to magazines and online sources. There are no perfect jobs, but this one fits me pretty well. No chance I'm changing now.

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I never had a job that I didn't truly enjoy. 24 years in the USAF as a bomb tech. Got to blow things up, learned how to disarm everything from a 22 cal round to a thermonuclear warhead, and had camaraderie with other bomb techs that was tight. After that I went straight into beaver trapping full time for 28 years. After dad passed, I got to take over Dobbins' Products, and I love it. I don't think I could work a job I didn't enjoy.

Count your blessings Paul. You are a lucky man but I'm sure you know that.
Posted By: TurTLe

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 06:47 PM

I absolutely love my job. I started out as a temporary laborer at the hatchery. Then took a full time job as the facilities specialist. Then took a job as the Environmental Associate, and just last Friday I got the word that I got the Fisheries Culture Biologist position. I can't imagine doing anything other than fish hatchery work. If and when I get tired of it, I'll retire and just fish, trap and hunt. I'm proud of putting my GI Bill to good use.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Raizmup
Nope don't love mine. I love what they pay me though! Got 14 more years of it. 5 weeks vacation, 401k and full pension. I can't afford not to stay with them.

I'm in the same boat, but only 6 more years to go. It is hard to leave the 5 weeks vacation and full pension with only 6 to go. However, my wife works a job that she absolutely loves and they pay her well. She keeps encouraging me to take a lesser job that I would be happy in.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 07:44 PM

I love my job. I was a commercial fisherman for 33 years then two years ago I got a call from a company asking if I would like to be a commercial boat broker. I was quite surprised but I said I will think it over. Long story short here I am and loving it. Right up my ally.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/21/19 11:57 PM

I liked my job. It enabled me to retire at 53. Now I like my "job" even better. The best advice I got at work was from a younger employee. I had enough time in to receive a full pension, he would see me and ask why I wasn't retired. I had the same excuse as a lot of people, I'd tell him "I don't have enough money". His response "you don't make a living, you live on what you make". I retired 16 years ago if I new it would be this much fun I would of done it 3 years earlier.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/22/19 01:01 AM

My job would be about perfect if it wasn't for the darn customers. If I did't like it I would do something I did like. My theory is that one never gets really good at something if the heart is not in it.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/22/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
My job would be about perfect if it wasn't for the darn customers. If I did't like it I would do something I did like. My theory is that one never gets really good at something if the heart is not in it.

I like this, I do my best, but my heart is not in it at all. Strange part, is my employers think I'm good at it even though they know why I hate my jobs. They would be doing it to, if they didn't dread the job too. crazy
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/22/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by TurTLe
I absolutely love my job. I started out as a temporary laborer at the hatchery. Then took a full time job as the facilities specialist. Then took a job as the Environmental Associate, and just last Friday I got the word that I got the Fisheries Culture Biologist position. I can't imagine doing anything other than fish hatchery work. If and when I get tired of it, I'll retire and just fish, trap and hunt. I'm proud of putting my GI Bill to good use.

Good for you and good luck!
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/22/19 01:24 PM

Nope don't like it. I'm 55 and would really like to end my working career doing something I enjoy.. I've worked long enough at things I don't.. I just have to find that job that pays a decent wage.!!
Posted By: rednecktrapper

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/22/19 10:20 PM

Love what I do. I also very much enjoy good honest work. We had manufacturing week 2 weeks ago. I believe it is a nationwide event promoting skilled trades. I get pretty fired up to inspire the kids. Some are just there for the field trip, but many are already in Vo tech, and have great questions.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/23/19 11:33 PM

You know, I've read everything above and it seems to me that most everyone will agree that some days are better than others. I also think that it boils down to your work ethic.

I've been fortunate, my opinion, I've had some good jobs. Parts of those jobs haven't always been fun or something that a person would "love", but that was part of the job. No big deal.

I had a "paying" job years before I was 18. Not working for my family either. Honestly, I felt that I was overpaid. Hard to explain.

Once I was 18 and had a good job, I liked it. Could have been content and stayed at that job for years and years. Possible that I could still be there? But, $4 more on the hour, (30 years ago) took me out on the road, I liked that job too. I could make a phone call and have basically the same job next Monday. But, I'm here working for myself.

As mentioned above, my boss can be hard to deal with now and then. No big deal. I don't get bent out of shape over small things, tomorrow is another day. I work a pile of hours, but you can't let stuff get under your skin. It makes you appreciate your "free time" that much more.

I'll have a few hours off tomorrow, think I'm going to take my rifle for a walk. It's been a while since I've had fresh deer tenderloin. But as far as my job and situation in life, I feel very fortunate.

One thing that I'm curious about, for you guys that think that your job sucks and all. What do you do for a living? I'll bet there are folks here that will tell you to suck it up.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 12:34 AM

Been doing wildlife control since 1979. making baits and lures, deer scents and fishing scents since the late 80's and call manufacture from 2000. There are days I thank GOD for allowing me to do it and there are some days I just want to get away from it. I love work and some days I hate work.
Posted By: coalminer7755

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 01:35 AM

When I first got out of school I worked as a wildlife biologist technician, loved it, but no money. Started pipelining, liked it till work dried up. Worked in the coal mines for 14 years, not bad, good living. Recently took a job working for a local gas company tending their pipelines, again not a bad job. Common denominator is any job has its ups and downs, just leave work at work, and leave home at home.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 01:48 AM

Let's face it: who in their right mind likes doing similar things in similar places for 30-40 years? Nobody.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 02:09 AM

I love what I do, but a lot of days the job grates my nerves. I never want me or my co-workers to get hurt... But the obsession with safety in this country is getting to the point of ridiculous. The paperwork involved just to use a ladder for 3 minutes is insane.

Mike
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 02:21 AM

I went to work for a tree service the summer between high school and my first semester of college and learned to climb. I loved the adrenaline rush and decided after one year of college I'd rather be doing tree work. I worked for the same company for 12 years and saved up and started my own business. I still enjoy the work and being somewhere different and outdoors everyday, but some of the rich Floridians that I work for can be a pain in the arse. They all expect it done tomorrow. I've been blessed with good employees and we cut up and have a good time while busting our rumps. It's hard work and it's tough during rough weather but all in all I enjoy it. I'm 37 and can take off and hunt several states during deer season and me and one employee run traps before work in the mornings. So I work really hard but feels good to come home tired and know you're taking care of your family honestly
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 02:23 AM

Here's a pic of me in a tree on today's job [Linked Image]

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 12:12 PM

love mine NOW but didn't care for a lot of things i had to do to get there.but every dollar was chased and put to good use.

now i'm getting ready to split wood all day overlookin the river valley.my office is breath taking most of the time.and i love doin firewood,sell landscaping stone commercially and direct.love it,put up fur for a small network of buyers-love it but nov.till the end of Feb. is trapping-wether i make a penny or not.--thats priceless to me.

gotta go now as i'm eager to get that woodsplitter goin and thats after already goin over a 100 face cord for the year-part time.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 12:27 PM

I was lucky to work at a job I hated and couldn't stop starring at the clock at. Knowing what actually hating your job is helped me. Dreading getting out of bed, going to it, and being there. Its been 17 years at a new place now. I wouldn't say I love my job but I don't mind being here. I had a goofy boss and made a move a couple of years ago but luckily this place is big enough that I can get a new job working for someone else and still work at the same place. Going somewhere else now would be tough giving up 30 days vacation. Staying somewhere 17 years has its benefits.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 12:32 PM

I've been a Retiree since 2006, as strenuous as it can be, I love it! [Linked Image]

On a serious note... I have a brother, who is a farmer. I have never seen a guy work harder, he loves it and has no intentions on retiring! [Linked Image]
Posted By: eric space

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 02:32 PM

I have had many jobs over my lifetime and I liked them all. My overall job has always been trapper, both pelt, nuisance and snappers. Before 1994 I was a mink rancher, zoo owner, dairy farmer. But since, in slow times, I did computer work (liquidating timeshares), was a substitute teacher, drove school bus, stocked shelves, worked as a government trapper for the Census Bureau. The last one was kinda odd, when I went to work for the 2000 census the regional director asked me what I did best and I told him "trap". So he listed me as a trapper of people. Basically I had to "catch" (locate) people living in rural areas under bridges or in tents in the woods. Got a little hairy when I ran into some Meth labs! Later he switched me to giving employment tests for the Census Bureau, three tests a week, took about 12 hours, the rest of the 40 hour week I checked my trapline while looking for more homeless people.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 03:09 PM

I've never had a job I loved.

I've been a self-employed general contractor for the last twenty-three years. It's a good fit for me. I never could stand working for anybody else. i have developed my business to the point where I have a loyal base of customers who use my services exclusively and are willing to wait sometimes a year or more for me to start their jobs. I rarely take on new customers. The pay is great and I don't answer to anyone, not even my customers (they know if they irritate me I'll put them on a back burner or let them take their chances with some other contractor). And I take a lot of pride in the quality of my work. I can schedule and take vacations whenever I want to.

But, the work can be physically demanding and sometimes dangerous and I ain't getting any younger. And when I do show up to start a job customers almost always add work (while you're here do you think you could...).

So while I don't love it, it's a good fit for me and I like it.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does anyone love their job? - 10/24/19 03:09 PM

I also run a second business; a small property management operation. It's almost like money for nothing. I spend about a half-day once a month filing reports to the property owners' telling them how much money came in and how much went out. For that I get 7% of all rents collected.

There are occasionally whiny tenants to deal with. But, when there is a problem requiring maintenance, remodel or repair, Property Management contacts Construction and I pay myself to do the work. I get the value of a month's rent for having a tenant sign a lease. But that part of it can suck because people in general suck. Typically, about half the people that contact me for an apartment for rent will be no-call no-shows. They'll just leave me sitting there waiting for them. Most of the other half will have bad credit or just generally be flaky people. It's hard to find decent tenants. So that knocks it down from love to like...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums