Home

bow hunting

Posted By: houndone

bow hunting - 10/22/19 02:25 AM

first year for me doing this. does anyone use scents for hunting and whats there experience with them? what do you use and why.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 02:32 AM

I have bow hunted for something like close to 40 years. When I was young I'd spend lots of money on the newest "for sure " thing to kill a super big buck. Most stuff works pretty well but now a days I save my money and just do as good in the kill dept. I have a routine of showing using non scented soap and then Dead Down wind body rub. I always leave my clothes hanging out side most season. They are sprayed down scent killer gold a couple times each year. I haven't washed my camies for years.... unless mud or blood on them. I just learned when and how to outsmart the deer without all the latest "Sure Thing". To each their own!
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 02:38 AM

Hunt the wind and your good to go.
Posted By: snowy

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 03:17 AM

^ this the only thing I know works 100% of the time.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 03:31 AM

Read dear sign.
Have numerous stands so that you can choose the one to prevent getting winded on your way to the stand, and while in the stand.
Get to your stand before the deer get there without jumping them. You need to be quiet.
A false scrape with doe urine upwind of your stand will buy you time to draw your bow on a deer investigating it. It will not draw them to your stand from a mile away.
Everything else is expensive snake oil which gives some folks the confidence needed to stay in the stand long enough to have a shot at a deer.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 04:31 AM

If anything I use tarsal glands during the rut phases only in primary scrape areas...hit or miss
I've dragged them behind me but really had no luck doing so..

Pretty hard to find anything as natural as a tarsal gland..
I just go to the local deer processor and cut them off and freeze them...

Location is best, lone apple tree, lone white oak, primary scrapes, intersecting trails, and so on...
Posted By: 3togo

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 10:16 AM

I started bow hunting in 1974. As mentioned here when asked earlier, Deer Dander and Ever Calm when used as a cover your tracks kind of scent seems to help. Spray on boots or rub on the tree your in. Follow what NebrCatMan said too and it will help. But always try to keep the wind in your favor.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 10:37 AM

Been bowhunting for going on 30 years now and the only thing I use is evercalm, it really seems to help if a deer comes in downwind. I try to keep my hunting clothes free of unwanted scents. And always hunt the wind. I'm sure there's times during the rut that doe in estrous and such scents will work but I just choose not to spend money on them. What part of Illinois are you in? I hunt southern Illinois Hamilton county. Good luck
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 11:33 AM

Get this book, it really has useful information.

Real World Whitetail Behavior

by Jim Roy

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/real-world-whitetail-behavior-jim-roy/1100468992?ean=9781586670986&st=PLA&sid=BNB_%5BADL%5D%20%5BCore%5D%20%5BGeneric%5D%20Books%20(Medium)&sourceId=PLABiNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Bing_c&msclkid=b4adadddfcbf188206fff0731469b73e&adlclid=ADL-7ea8913a-bf6c-46fd-8db2-71d35ef97621
Posted By: Marty

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 12:53 PM

For me bow hunting is about setting an ambush, if I am ambushing something I do not want it looking for me so I stay quiet.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: bow hunting - 10/22/19 01:23 PM

You can do it ALL for scent control ... Xcept you still have your hot steamy breath.

Wintergreen Snuff for my friend, Lifesavers for me. I wont start chewing to kill deer...but with His skol long cut he sees and shoots more.

I also like meat fed red fox urine on mt boots.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums