Posted By: Chamacat

Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 09:15 PM

Yep..Say it loud and say it proud Teddy grin
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 09:20 PM

ol Uncle Ted,must agree with it.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 10:22 PM

I didnt watch the video yet, But i shoot whatever when i feel like it. This "trophy" hunting is gonna be the end of hunting rights for everyone in the end.
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 10:45 PM

Good speech by Uncle Ted. I always take care of my freezer first and I taught my kids growing up to shoot whatever they felt good about, as long as the animal wasn't wasted. Most of us probably graduate to bigger bucks after we've been at it for a while but being out there and participating in the sport is the main thing - most of the commercialized hunting shows in my opinion aren't doing the sport a lot of favors. I took my grandson out for his first deer hunt last year and he kept asking me when the big trophy buck was going to come out like on TV...
Posted By: cotton

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 10:52 PM

preach it ted
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 10:57 PM

UNCLE TED !!!!!!!!!
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/24/19 11:17 PM

Love Uncle Ted and he’s spot on.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 12:02 AM

I would not be eating much venison if I had to wait for big bucks.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 02:21 AM

You can debate genetics, kill spikes or not kill spikes, don't shoot a young 8 point, etc.
One thing you cannot debate is a persons choice of killing whatever deer they choose to kill legally.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
You can debate genetics, kill spikes or not kill spikes, don't shoot a young 8 point, etc.
One thing you cannot debate is a persons choice of killing whatever deer they choose to kill legally.

True that. If it’s legal, kill it if you want or sit and watch it eat.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 04:02 AM

This year is my sons first deer season. I told him I want to find a little dinky buck for him to shoot so he doesn’t peak early lol.

In all seriousness, I’ve shot spikes. Smaller bucks. Plenty of them. Sure I’d like to shoot that big freaky non typical, but hey if it’s between a spike and an empty tag, the spike tastes a lot better. Also, I believe that shooting spikes is good for the genetics. A deer that starts as a spike will never be much of a trophy anyways, might as well cull him before he gets a chance to spread his genes.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 04:44 AM

Teds right...

Some of my best bowhunting was when I was young and shot any buck...Never had a bad kill..
Some of my worst years were chasing a mature buck..took the fun out of it for me..
Mind you I chased many mature bucks on public hunting grounds and trash farms where many bowhunted..

Years back I was driving down a dirt road and saw a young bowhunter dragging a small buck out of the woods I stopped and ask him if he needed any help, that was the happiest kid around one would have thought he killed a monster...this kid was fuming with joy about his bow kill and I heard the story of how he killed it about 20 times as we loaded the deer up...I'm sure he drove through his local town with his tailgate open to show of his buck...brings back memories...We all want that trophy but be honest we can only kill the best deer in our areas, which might only be a trashy spike or 6..now go to Illinois, Nebraska, Kansas, Ohio, or Iowa well game changer...
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 11:26 AM

I had spike tenderloin for dinner few nights ago, awesome,I prefer to call them 11points.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 11:49 AM

I agree shot what makes you happy. I had a friends son from out of state take a 2 x 2 a week ago and it was his first deer ever. They sent me a picture of him and the buck and the picture said it all. He was the happiest young man that ever lived. LOL
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 12:06 PM

Truth
Posted By: Rick Otts

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 12:52 PM

I agree with Ted 100%
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 01:50 PM

i usually shoot the first legal deer (buck or doe) that I can. I'm out there to put meat in the fridge and enjoy God's great outdoors while I'm at it.

after that, i typically let smaller bucks walk. 1 - they'll grow up to be nice , or 2 - somebody that needs that meat will put it in their freezer, or 3 - some kid looking for his first buck will make that memory.

beyond that, give me all the young does I can find

52Carl is spot on, in that it is not our job to tell somebody what they can/can't shoot within the bounds of the laws
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 02:11 PM

I shoot what ever I feel to shoot. But I know a guy who raised a little fawn buck and put a orage6ear tag in him, first set of horns a 4 inch spike this year is his second set and he is a real nice basket 8 point. So I dont say a spike is never going to make much anymore. We will see if he makes it through this season and what he makes next year.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/25/19 05:00 PM

You can't eat antlers. I fill my freezer first during bow season, if opportunity presents itself. During gun season, I may be a bit more picky if I have shot a few already. I have passed on many small deer, I've also passed on some decent bucks. I like to hunt, so I try not to end season too early.
Posted By: charles

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/26/19 12:40 AM

I only shoot doe deer and leave the bucks for the kids. Haven't shot a spike in 20 years. When I did, I wasn't very proud of my kill.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Shoot The Spike - 10/26/19 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by charles
I only shoot doe deer and leave the bucks for the kids. Haven't shot a spike in 20 years. When I did, I wasn't very proud of my kill.

Why?
A yearling spike ain't no better than a yearling 8.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums