Home

Deer Kill (Per State)

Posted By: Chamacat

Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 12:52 AM

Yep..How many deer can you harvest in your state in one season..total number combining all hunting methods..I see some poster comments on other threads about being able to harvest multiple numbers of deer..

In New Mexico it is one fork antlered buck per year and draw only...
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:02 AM

Delaware:
Basic license gets me 4 antlerless deer, I can buy a quality buck tag and take two antlered deer per year. I can buy additional antlerless tags at $20 a piece and get unlimited tags if I want to buy them.

So 6 with regular tags, unlimited antlerless deer if I’m willing to spend $20 each.

Maryland:
zone B. I can shoot 10 antlerless deer during firearm season, 10 during muzzleloader and 15 during archery season for a total of 35. I can shoot two antlered deer and buy a tag to take a third after I’ve shot 2.

So 38 total if I’m a magician of some sort.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:02 AM

6 deer in Ohio with an exception to get additional in certain situations. Only one may be anterless and no more than anterless from public land except for controlled hunts.
Posted By: chickenwing

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:03 AM

6 louisiana 2 buck tags 3 doe tags and 1 either sex tag
Posted By: m1carbine

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:07 AM

Only one may be ANTLERED !

In Ohio
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:13 AM

depends on the county in Wisconsin

a gun deer license is one buck , 24 dollars

then depending on the county you might get up to 5 included antler-less harvest authorizations

bow or cross bow would be the same 24 dollars a buck and up to 5 antler-less

and then you can buy antler-less authorizations at 12 dollars each until you deplete the quota of tags or run out of money.

so easily 12 deer but could purchase more but this is only in select counties other counties only come with 0 ,1 , 2, 3 or 4 antler-less authorizations.

for gun season we have party hunting so you only need be present at time of kill you might be the driver pushing to the standers and your standers do all the shooting then you start tagging. that said we have never actually shot more than 3 deer in a single drive.

12 if you hunted the right county and archery/cross bow and gun
until they run out of tags to purchase would be the if your willing to pay for it answer.

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:22 AM

Just a few years ago you could get more tags then a guy would want then blue tongue hit a few years apart and devastated the herds here.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:40 AM

Under local resident (subsistence) regulations when I lived on the ABC Islands in SE Alaska, could only get 7 tags per anum for Sitka blacktails (and tags were free), but I could proxy hunt 7 more for my wife, 7 for my son, 7 for each of 5 neighbors, etc. It was basically unlimited. Poor way to manage deer, in my opinion. By making them basically worthless, I saw a lot of waste and extremely poor hunting ethics.

Jack
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
depends on the county in Wisconsin

a gun deer license is one buck , 24 dollars

then depending on the county you might get up to 5 included antler-less harvest authorizations

bow or cross bow would be the same 24 dollars a buck and up to 5 antler-less

and then you can buy antler-less authorizations at 12 dollars each until you deplete the quota of tags or run out of money.

so easily 12 deer but could purchase more but this is only in select counties other counties only come with 0 ,1 , 2, 3 or 4 antler-less authorizations.

for gun season we have party hunting so you only need be present at time of kill you might be the driver pushing to the standers and your standers do all the shooting then you start tagging. that said we have never actually shot more than 3 deer in a single drive.

12 if you hunted the right county and archery/cross bow and gun
until they run out of tags to purchase would be the if your willing to pay for it answer.

It would be interesting to see what the average number of deer harvested by successful hunters is.

I'd bet its less than 2.

Vast majority shoot one deer and the retire for the season.

Even tho the chance to shoot lots of deer is there it rarely happens.

So having the ability to shoot lots of deer really doesn't hurt the population.

In a good chunk of WI there is a lot of deer with not enough being harvested so that the population is on a upward trend when looked at over the years.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 04:02 AM

In my part of Idaho one either sex tag and one antlerless tag if drawn.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 05:37 AM

Dirty D, there was a chart in one of the regs booklets a couple years ago that showed I think 90% of hunters shot 1 or fewer deer. Across all seasons including archery and gun. I dont have enough signal to find the exact statistics, but most hunters definitely get 1 or fewer deer each year.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 05:59 AM

In Mississippi we can kill 8 per season. There are no tags so it is on the honor system. The 8 consist of 3 bucks 1 can be any antlered buck the other 2 must be 10" inside or have 1 main beam 13". Then we are allowed 5 does.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 09:42 AM

We get 6 tags with license
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 10:25 AM

ZONE 1
A hunter may harvest an unlimited number of
antlerless deer in Zone 1 using the statewide
deer permit and additional deer permits.
ZONE 2 A hunter may harvest no more than four deer
in Zone 2.
ZONE 3
A hunter may harvest no more than four deer
in Zone 3. A firearm or air gun cannot be
used to take more than one antlerless deer.
ZONE 4
A hunter may harvest no more than two
deer in Zone 4. Only one can be antlerless.
Antlerless deer cannot be harvested
during the modern gun season, the early
muzzleloader season or the first six days of
the late muzzleloader season. The statewide
bag limit of one antlered deer still applies.

I'm in Zone 1. You get 4 deer with your deer permit then we can buy additional deer permits that you can harvest 2 deer per permit they are $15.00 each.

Edited to add: You can only kill one antlered deer regardless of zone.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 10:43 AM

Here in New York your archery tag allows 1 deer of either sex, your regular big game tag allows 1 antlered deer and a muzzleloader tag allows 1 of either sex. This makes 3, if you pay the $10 for a DMP tag (deer management tag...aka doe tag) you have a good chance at 2 tags, and after Nov. 1 you can enter the open lottery for unfilled tags in other areas. The Doe tags are transferable to another hunter so you could almost get unlimited doe tags if you know enough people that do not use them.

That makes 3 bucks and 2 doe without any additional tags from transfers or the open lottery.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 11:38 AM

We get a buck tag with a general license. Doe tags are draw by unit, and it varies as to how many you can get. Some units you might only get one before that quota is exhausted, and some units might not sell their quota at all.

But 1 buck per hunter statewide.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 12:48 PM

Here in Va it is a total of 5, 2 antlered, 3 antlerless. When I lived in Ky it was as Abu65 described except that I would add no license or tags are needed for landowners hunting their own land.

In Ky and Ohio there is a limit of one antlered deer per year. This was instituted in Ky in the early 1990's, I don't know when in Ohio. Another thing Ky and Ohio have in common is that they are now the leading states for B&C bucks. This is not a coincidence and I wish other states (like Va) would pay some attention to what Ky and Ohio have done.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:06 PM

1 in our Area Now "Hunters choice" Buck or doe

For many years we could buy up to 4 antlerless tags. One group I sold tags too took 37 deer that season.

Now its 1 here but in some areas of the state its still muliple.

*** There are deer everywhere now after making it 1 for several years... The DNR deer counters Seem to work using a Pendulum . No Science or in the field work.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:13 PM

Here in Illinois it is 2 antlered deer per year per person. Archery tags are over the counter and you can buy as many antler less tags as you are willing to spend the money on.

Gun tags( regular & muzzleloader) are by drawing but it's been years since I have heard anyone actually being denied in the draw. Excess gun tags are sold over the counter after the final draw period is over.

Biggest issue with filling a lot of tags is finding enough land to do so. A lot of farms are leased out to people and public land gets crowded especially during gun season.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 01:33 PM

lol What Pete said: Till you run out of money. Or ammo.

You've got to look at it like this too, some folks don't hunt. Out for an hour or 2 and call it a season.

Friend of mine always said, he needs 4 deer per season. And usually he'd get 4. And they'd eat deer meat at least once a week or 2 times maybe.

Like about everyone, I like a fresh tenderloin now and then. Otherwise, I'm getting pretty picky about what I shoot. And with our deer herd now, numbers are way down from years past, I'm very picky about where I'll shoot a doe. Deer are starting to rebound, and that's been a combination effort of hunters and our DNR. Nearly all of the local area is private land, so it's been mostly hunters, backing off on their kill numbers.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 03:27 PM

Here where I am in alabama you can kill 3 bucks one must have 4 points on one side. Private land you can kill one doe a day from today (first day of unantlered deer bow season) until 10 february which is the end of gun season. So 3 plus however many days until 10 feb. public land only has about 10 days of doe season. I dont think i have ever hunted public land.

So if my math is correct you could legally kill 110 deer per licensed hunter per season all methods considered, bow and gun. When i was growing up it was 2 a day. 2 does or a doe and a buck. From the time i was 12 till i left the army I killed alot of deer. I have lost official count. I know my first year when i was 12 i killed 2. Next year i killed 8 and then its a blur. I averaged about 20+ deer a year from the time i was about 15 till 19. Then i was in the army. I would always come home on leave and hunt, and always hunted wherever i was stationed and always tagged out in the other states every year i was able to hunt and not deployed. I know I have killed at least 200 deer in my life so far. These days i just kill enough to fill my freezer usually 4-6ish. Back in the day me and my grandfather were in competition and we combined would kill 50 or so a year. We processed them all and gave them away to whoever needed meat in our community.

The farmers here always get deer damage permits and slaughter them during the summer. I know plenty who brag about killing 100-150 a year all at night spotlighting. Law says they have to leave them lay and cant eat them or do anything but let em rot in the woods. Its pretty messed up in my opinion because these same farmers who have such a problem wont let anyone on their land during deer season to kill them and be able to eat or use them. But even through all that we have plenty of deer around here.

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 03:37 PM

One other thing. With so much pressure especially from gun hunters our deer get nocturnal very quick after gun season opens. Every walmart hunter in the woods is slinging arrows or lead at about everything that walks so even with such a liberal bag limit and long season its not real easy to kill deer here. Its was a TON easier to see and kill deer in kansas. Lots of strictly trophy hunters up there so noone was shooting many does and small bucks so they never got real fearful of humans even though there are plenty of people in the woods.
Posted By: jnsff69

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/26/19 04:21 PM

Here in Nevada you get one.
It's all a "random" draw, this year from word of mouth it seemed that they happened to give more to Nonresidents that Residents as it's obvious more $$$ for the state.
When you put in you have 5 selections of what areas you want and now they added what season. Archery, Muzzle or Any Legal weapon. But if your lucky to get a tag it's only 1.
And it's a different draw if you want anterless so you have to choose if you want a doe or a buck before you apply,
But you only get one tag a year for deer.
And you can't always wait for the "wall mounts" if you have a buck tag. Most seasons are roughly 2 weeks and in one area you may have no joke 1,000 resident and 650 non resident hunters not including the junior tags/ hunters.
Sometimes it's more for meat in the freezer than anything.

And don't get me started on the out of state pavement queens that are camo'd head to toe that can't get off the pavement and out of their jacked up pickups to hunt.....and then go bad mouth an area cuz they were out hunting all day and didn't see anything....

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:06 AM

Yep...I really had no idea...When I read possum's post about Alabama.."One A Day" for weeks and weeks with a total of a maybe 110 deer a year..that is amazing..
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:39 AM

Two bucks total and three does A DAY for my part of TN. Ft. Campbell deer are bonus deer and don't go against TN / KY state limits ( it straddles the state line). No shortage of does here and I can't remember the last time I bought beef at the grocery store..

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:41 AM

Three does a day...for how many days can one take three does a day?
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:47 AM

All season long if one wanted to in Unit L / Middle TN. I usually put 3-4 does up each season and donate a few to our local Hunters For The Hungry program. I don't know anyone that actually whacks three a day for a sustained amount of time but it's permissible if one wanted to do so. I guess crop damage and the high number of vehicle - deer accidents here help drive that number.

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:55 AM

Yep..This is kinda a loaded question kinda..Let's say that in your area where ever you may be..How many does would it take to have 250 lbs of cut and wrapped venision?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 12:55 AM

We get one if we're lucky (not this year) --- I keep telling my hunting partners that I could be in a deer costume (with antlers) in the woods all day and feel safe.As long as I cannot see the road.This is not a great deer hunting unit, we use it for our elk scouting. During elk season I would not feel safe -- it is a road closure unit during elk but not during deer.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 01:01 AM

Oklahoma seems to think there's a shortage of the stupid things... There isn't. At least not up in the NE corner of the state where I am.

Last time I checked if you hunt all 3 seasons... Archery, Muzzleloading, Rifle... You are allowed 5. No more than 2 of the 5 may be antlered.

However there are some additional special hunts for antlerless and those do not count towards your 5 limit.

I wish they'd just decide that you can kill X number of deer by whichever method you prefer and just sell you that many tags and let you get to it... I'd kill them all with my flintlock if they'd let me. And I realize different parts of the state can't withstand all the same harvest. Fine. Set up limits for those areas and sell the tags and get on with it.

Mike
Posted By: bgfur3065

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 01:43 AM

My part of Texas allows 5 for all seasons combined no more than 2 bucks. Drive south and you can harvest another buck.
Posted By: bgfur3065

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 01:48 AM

I would say 5 does to have 250# of meat. Possibly 6
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chamacat
Yep..This is kinda a loaded question kinda..Let's say that in your area where ever you may be..How many does would it take to have 250 lbs of cut and wrapped venision?

2.5-4 depending on size.

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 02:01 AM

250 lbs of meat. probably 4-6. i shoot medium size deer mostly. a big mature buck down here would be a monster to break 200lb on the hoof.

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 02:09 AM

Yep..I'm taking my thread off track a little..when you guys are in harvesting of deer do you have walk-in coolers for hanging deer..or do you take them to a processor?..Just curious is all...I see the walk-in cooler a big time savor for each hunt day..
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 02:14 AM

Mn is all over the board.

Some years in certain zones, it just kill em( does),
Some years you have to draw for a doe tag.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 04:50 PM

Located were I am in Northern Illinois, I am in a CWD zone.

I can kill almost as many as I want. I just have to go and buy another tag over the counter.

There is a limited number available, but it is typically over 1000.

Limited to 2 antlered deer, but during special late CWD season, you can kill as many bucks as you have tags for.

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 05:51 PM

Yep..I'm taking my thread off track a little..when you guys are in harvesting of deer do you have walk-in coolers for hanging deer..or do you take them to a processor?..Just curious is all...I see the walk-in cooler a big time savor for each hunt day..

I process all my own meat. I wouldnt even consider letting someone else process something i killed unless they can do something i cant and that is pretty much tubed smoked sausage. I could do that if i built a smoke house but i dont have one. I have a big LEM grinder with a tenderizer/jerky attachment. Its amazing for what I need. I rarely field dress a deer. I load em up and go straight home and get em quartered up and in a cooler. I soak mine in water with ice. I keep frozen 2 liter bottles in the shed just for always having ice during season. Change water everyday and make sure you keep the cooler clean and i have never had a problem. Lots of people say never soak deer in water but i disagree. Been doing it my whole life and never had a problem. It is hot down here even in the winter lots of times so hanging deer has never been an option. Plus the thought of just letting one "hang" even in a cooler turns me off. What yall are calling letting the meat tenderize by hanging i call letting it rot just a tad to get tender. Im not gonna argue with anyone about this, its just the way it is here. Im gonna do it my way. You do yours how you want. On small to medium does I will cut up and process into the freezer after about a 18-24hr soak, which usually ends up being about lunch the next day. On a big doe or buck I will debone the meat the next day and soak for another day and then process it. Soaking it helps get the blood out and makes the meat a little milder tasting. I have never had anyone turn their nose up at my fried tenderized backstraps.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/27/19 07:28 PM

Yep..How many deer can you harvest in your state in one season..total number combining all hunting methods.

In New York State

One antlered deer with Bow and/or Muzzle loader.

One antlerless deer with Bow and/or Muzzle loader.

One Antler Buck with Deer Regular Firearms License.

Two antlerless deer with Deer Management Permits.

Two additional Antlerless deer with Left-over DMP Permits.

Two additional antlerless deer DMP's may be signed over to you by another hunter.

So a total of two bucks and seven does may by legally harvested in New York

by Resident Big Game hunters (and you get a Bear Tag)

w
Posted By: eric space

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/28/19 03:08 PM

In New Jersey:
3 bucks with a bow, 1 buck with a muzzeloader, 3 bucks with shotgun (total 7 antlered deed), many zones unlimited does, other zones from 7 to 35 does. Seasons start about September 10 and go to February 1. Also allowed 2 bears, one in October with bow or muzzeloader and 1 in December with muzzeloader or shotgun.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/28/19 07:48 PM

in upper Michigan where i am at you can get one buck with 4 on a side and one with 3 or more on a side.
You can get several doe tags in certain areas here. I could have gotten 3 doe tags easily this year. Stopped at one though.
Posted By: Farm Manager

Re: Deer Kill (Per State) - 10/30/19 03:46 AM

Like Deerhunter said, here in TN you can kill 3 does per day from opening day of bow season late Sept until the second weekend of Jan. The buck limit is 2 with a few exceptions. Some WMA's allow a bonus buck or at least they used to. One of the assistant directors of TWRA once told me what the total number of deer a person could legally harvest in TN was well over 300 (if I remember correctly) and that was before the changes that CWD brought about
© 2024 Trapperman Forums