Home

6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game.

Posted By: FL cracker in AK

6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 08:13 AM

Been thinking about a 6.5 Grendel AR for medium sized game, have any of y'all shot deer, hogs, caribou, elk, with one, or know of anyone who has?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 09:34 AM

1st
I don’t count elk as medium game
But the Grendel will kill them all if you do your part
I know guys who’ve killed all but elk
Dave even used his on black bear
You could always ask on the Grendel owners forum too
Posted By: Prn

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 10:08 AM

Deer, hogs, and caribou should be fine, if you are patient and wait for a good shot. Elk, no way, not worth it.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 12:16 PM

123 grain Hornady SST over some Leverevolution powder work fine for what you want. Minus the elk part
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 12:18 PM

I shot a big doe with mine last season, did the trick!
Posted By: red mt

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK
Been thinking about a 6.5 Grendel AR for medium sized game, have any of y'all shot deer, hogs, caribou, elk, with one, or know of anyone who has?

Is it the AR platform or the 6.5 cal. Wanted.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 04:01 PM

A good friend of mine shot more elk with a . 22-250 than any other rifle without any problems it's all shot placement.
I killed a buffalo with my .222 Remington dropping it like a ton of bricks so knowing your gun and how it shoots helps and take your time and picking the shot.
Allan

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 05:27 PM

I hunt by snowmachine in Alaska, and in Florida, I most commonly still hunt, but spot and stalk or sit in a tree stand as well, occasionally driving with friends and family. Not into long shots over 300 yards, I like to get as close as I can. Every deer or caribou I've shot has been under 150 yards, one shot. I've never been into big magnums, I like lightweight, low recoil guns due to a broke shoulder. Got into AR 15's about three years ago, liking my 5.56 for a snowmachine gun for fur, good all around winter gun for me. A little big for fox and lynx, about perfect for otter, wolverine, and wolves. I like what I've heard about the 6.5 Grendel so far. I like the idea of a rifle that's light enough to tote on a sling on a snowmachine for 200 or more miles, which is how far I have to go to get caribou, semiauto for quick shots on multiple animals, and as weather proof as an AR.

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/26/19 06:51 PM

I've shot deer with a 6.5x55 with good results, I would imagine 6.5 Grendel would be almost as good.

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/27/19 12:16 AM

[Linked Image]
Thinking about getting this one, but with 20inch barrel. Anybody shot a PSA AR before?

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/27/19 12:27 AM

I have one and like it. I don't know if its any good for hunting of a snow machine in Florida though. Sounds bumpy to me

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/27/19 01:53 AM

I just walk on water with the Skidoo, just get an air cooled one! laugh

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/27/19 02:34 AM

laugh
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: 6.5 Grendel for hunting medium sized game. - 10/27/19 12:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Works for me quite well. Howa 1500 Mini Action, Sierra 120 gr spitzer, CFE223 powder. This one was about 170 yards. I got tired of chasing the brass from the AR, it's too expensive and hard to come by so I went with the bolt gun. lots lighter too. My Grendel upper and two five shot mags are for sale.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums