Home

A serious question only a trapper would ask...

Posted By: Ditchdiver

A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/26/19 06:43 PM

How do you get coon/coyote penis bones ready for sale?
Just cut as much of the tissue off as you can and freeze? Boil clean?
Any help is appreciated. Just trying to gain extra money in a down market.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/26/19 06:45 PM

I always peeled as much meat off of them, and boiled them. You can whiten them however you would like. Its easy to flood a market with them, so look for re-enactors and other avenues of sale.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/26/19 06:49 PM

Remove as much tissue as possible. Then simmer them - do not boil - to loosen any remain tissue. Clean with an old toothbrush or something soft to remove all tissue. Then soak for a bit in peroxide. Then dry thoroughly. They are ready to sell.

Once cleaned and dried, They do not need to be stored in a freezer. They can sit on the coffee table or kitchen counter.

Do NOT overcook.. It can damage the ends.

Most markets prefer adult bones that are fully developed. Bones from immature animals are very porous on the business end and tend to disintegrate.

Collect bones from all species, not just raccoon and coyote. Ermine, mink, badger, otter, fox, Fisher, wolves. Bears, etc. they all have value.

Good Luck.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/26/19 08:31 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/26/19 08:42 PM

Back in January, Gulo posted this fantastic display of baculum he made.

[Linked Image]

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6424030/Searchpage/1/Main/481477/Words/%2BWalrus/Search/true/re-claws-teeth-baculum-etc#Post6424030

Keith
Posted By: run

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 12:58 AM

Wow.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 01:35 AM

I chucked all mine in the freezer until June. Then I put them in a 5 gallon pail with some skulls and a handful of dirt. Closed the lid and let them brew for 3 weeks in the sun. Dumped the water and sprayed all the rotted tissue away with the hose. Added dish soap and refilled for degrease. Dumped water, added peroxide and water to cover for a day then dry in sun. They came out great
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Back in January, Gulo posted this fantastic display of baculum he made.

[Linked Image]

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6424030/Searchpage/1/Main/481477/Words/%2BWalrus/Search/true/re-claws-teeth-baculum-etc#Post6424030

Keith

That's an awesome penis display! cool
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 04:37 AM

Dang that's amazing!!!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
Dang that's amazing!!!

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
That's an awesome penis display! cool

Thats what she said.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 03:39 PM

The above-mentioned methods work well for cleaning bacula. For me, easier to just throw them into a tub in the freezer until I have a pile. I've got 6 dedicated crock-pots just for skulls and bacula. Throw them in, along with about a tablespoon of borax, set on medium heat, and let lightly simmer overnight. Ten seconds under tap water and an old toothbrush the next day is about what each baculum takes to clean. Buy over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide, cut it 50:50 with water, and soak the bacula for another day, then put in clean water and soak another day. Lay them out on paper towels (preferably in the sun, if you like them real white) and let dry.

The baculum coffee table pictured in one of the posts above has over 500 bacula from about 20 different species, if I recall. To me, variety is pleasant. Don't forget bacula from muskrats, beaver, mink, marten, etc, not just the big ones from badgers, otters, and coon. Although I have heard that, indeed, size does matter, and the bigger ones bring in more interest if you're selling.

Jack
Posted By: Miley

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 04:03 PM

I process coon and red fox baculum. I don’t freeze ,I just put them in a container near the skinning machine where they dry out. They stay there until I simmer them the following year, then soak in peroxide. Works for me
Posted By: BruceDafter

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 04:40 PM

I see two people said "old tooth brush". Definitely not something you want to mix up what brush your using for what.😁. I need to save a couple this year, I was thinking of making a cribbage board for my brothers camp and using them as the pegs.

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 06:13 PM

On the other hand, so we're not completely sexist, in many of the species mentioned above that have an os penis (baculum, oosik), the females actually have an os clitoris as well (baubellum). Next coffee table I have I think I'll try to put together a female representation.

Jack
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Remove as much tissue as possible. Then simmer them - do not boil - to loosen any remain tissue. Clean with an old toothbrush or something soft to remove all tissue. Then soak for a bit in peroxide. Then dry thoroughly. They are ready to sell.

Once cleaned and dried, They do not need to be stored in a freezer. They can sit on the coffee table or kitchen counter.

Do NOT overcook.. It can damage the ends.

Most markets prefer adult bones that are fully developed. Bones from immature animals are very porous on the business end and tend to disintegrate.

Collect bones from all species, not just raccoon and coyote. Ermine, mink, badger, otter, fox, Fisher, wolves. Bears, etc. they all have value.

Good Luck.

Makes one wonder how wissmiss knows so much about a penis, lol.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
On the other hand, so we're not completely sexist, in many of the species mentioned above that have an os penis (baculum, oosik), the females actually have an os clitoris as well (baubellum). Next coffee table I have I think I'll try to put together a female representation.

Jack

Cool coffee table btw, with that many is it peniseses or peni? Asking for a friend.

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 08:46 PM

HA! Catch!

I do know that "baculum" is singular, "bacula" is plural. But is it peni, penii, penises, penis'? I'll have to ask a friend...

Thanks for the chuckle.

Jack
Posted By: Catch22

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 08:55 PM

HA! Catch!

I do know that "baculum" is singular, "bacula" is plural. But is it peni, penii, penises, penis'? I'll have to ask a friend...

Thanks for the chuckle.

Jack

Lol, that made me giggle. grin
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 08:58 PM

Jack - I thought you knew everything. Surprised you have to ask a friend. smile

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 09:14 PM

Nancy, there are a few things in life that I don't delve into too deeply...
Posted By: cmcf

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 09:56 PM

Surprised the walrus oosic is not represented. Probably using it as a club.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 10:01 PM

Jack

So you won't need to be as careful with which tooth brush you use?

Re: A serious question only a trapper would ask... - 10/27/19 10:28 PM

Oh, man..... It's really hard to resist. How deep are we going to dig our graves here, folks?

Carl - Thanks for another good chuckle.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums