Posted By: Michigan Trappin

NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/26/19 11:19 PM

I’ll go get some popcorn
Posted By: pcr2

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/26/19 11:20 PM

wuere ya been,mines almost gone between that and trophy deer discussions
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/26/19 11:23 PM

Did see one confirming they will not be taking wild fur.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/26/19 11:56 PM

i will say someone may wanna do a welfare check on coonman 220.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2

Definately.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:08 AM

Do they still have furs left unsold from prior auctions?

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2

Yes. Some trapper intersorts and quite a few dealer lots with limits. Not sure what will happen to all of that fur. Guess we will find out eventually.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

Definately.

Spelled in his honor? wink

Keith
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:41 AM

Odds are he owes them money...….LOL.
Posted By: Prn

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Odds are he owes them money...….LOL.

Just think, some people here questioned his advances on coon. I bet he is smiling all the way to the bank right now!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:50 AM

Definately.

And gibb, and ron.
Posted By: mud

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:08 AM

Well I’m on the hook for a few hundred bucks from August and 175 red fox sitting there. Nothing compared to some dealers but it’s gonna hurt. My boys fox are there yet too. He ain’t gonna be happy either.
Posted By: Actor

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:02 AM

Well... Many of us were correct … I don't see where they address what they are going to do with all of the fur they are holding in there freezers that belong to the trappers

Garry-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flipper

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:13 AM

Think they will refund I have one year left on my membership
Posted By: kingrat

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper
Think they will refund I have one year left on my membership

I've got 3 years left on one account and on my other one I owe them 100 bucks cause I never shipped on it but it auto renewed so guess were even.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:29 AM

[quote=Flipper]Think they will refund I have one year left on my membership [/quote

I was going to ask the same question.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:32 AM

You think they posted it today cause they knew their phone would be ringing off the hook and no one would be there to answer.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:33 AM

A few things come to mind, when I read that letter:

1. NAFA supposed to have checks sent out to trappers and everyone else that sold furs at the latest auction; by the end of this Month . November 1st is 6 days away. Are those checks still going out ?

2 What are these "Hurdles" he is talking about ?

3. That last paragraph: "AS THEY ARISE". So , are they going to pay the August payments by November 1st ?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:34 AM

All of us trappers whether you ship to them or not should find no glorly in this news.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:36 AM

Another thing.....

What happens if November 1st comes, and no check in the mailbox...…

If some trapper or fur buyer were to drive to the NAFA headquarters, would they be issued their GOOD check at the NAFA office in person???

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:51 AM

Is it possible to find the NAFA balance sheet?
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:10 AM

No glory, just another big shot company that mostly due to bad leadership and loose financials fell flat... Woolworths, Sears, Dominion.. the list goes on... Find your own market/ buyer

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:13 AM

many local auctions out there, work half as hard to find a buyer and you'll be fine but firstly enjoy your time outdoors!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:46 AM

At this point, I seriously doubt they will reissue checks by the first of November.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:50 AM

Did anybody miss the part about paying the consigners for 2019 and many previous years??? NAFA is a loser
Posted By: AJE

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
NAFA is a loser
Bad management?
Posted By: wamp

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:03 PM

I don't have many pelts still at NAFA but would be nice to know what they are going to do with them.
When I called NAFA office they stated that the checks would be issued at the end of the month I just hope they deliver my $9.84
Posted By: walleyed

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:21 PM

Another thing.....

If some trapper or fur buyer were to drive to the NAFA headquarters, would they be issued their GOOD check at the NAFA office in person???

This could bring rise to the latest Invasion of Canada by a large, angry mob of jilted wild fur trappers.

Everyone holding a bad check plus bad check charges could meet at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo,

Storm Canadian Customs, and March on Toronto.

Could be the start of the 2019 version of the War of 1812.

Of Course,

We'd have to face Boco's Trapper Militia consisting

of Boco, Jurassic Park, Hutchy, Gibb, Ron, and many other legends. laugh

w
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:25 PM

Mark Downey, CEO of FHA called me the other day. Told me a little story that happened back in 2013, that I had not heard before, and I see no reason not to share with the rest of my brother trappers. He said, Janson called him and ask him to stop by his office for a meeting. He went to meet him as ask, and was told that they wanted to buy FHA. Mark said, it isnt for sale. Herman said, well we'll bury you then! Short meeting, Mark got up and left!
Thats how the big shots always run things there. I quit them three years after it became nafa, because most businesses try to cater to their cliantele, but not them. It was always, they will tell you what is best for them! I for one won't miss them, but it does make a heck of a mess with the market this year because of uncertainty!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:30 PM

Reminds mee of the meeting of Moe Green and Michael Corleone. You don't buy me out, I buy you out!
Walleyed, I think you have to be dead to be a legend, right now their status is LEGENDARY or LIVING LEGEND.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Mark Downey, CEO of FHA called me the other day. Told me a little story that happened back in 2013, that I had not heard before, and I see no reason not to share with the rest of my brother trappers. He said, Janson called him and ask him to stop by his office for a meeting. He went to meet him as ask, and was told that they wanted to buy FHA. Mark said, it isnt for sale. Herman said, well we'll bury you then! Short meeting, Mark got up and left!
Thats how the big shots always run things there. I quit them three years after it became nafa, because most businesses try to cater to their cliantele, but not them. It was always, they will tell you what is best for them! I for one won't miss them, but it does make a heck of a mess with the market this year because of uncertainty!

This is a good time to ask then Lee. Can they handle the fur that will be shipped to them this year? I know back not that long ago Greg and company handled and sold a lot more coon than was sold by both companies last season. LLL
Posted By: Catpincher

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:00 PM

Trapping season is about to get underway and not a peep out of FHA through all of this publicly, although taking the high road is commendable. You would think they would be adding a sale date or two and giving a market forecast. Gopher Everett?

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:03 PM

why do you think they have any loyalty to nafa customers that have snubbed them.and don't forget we aren't in a very good position in finances at the final level.

i'd be scared if they did go gung ho in this market and this nafa fiasco fresh in their memories.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:15 PM

New customers are not a bad deal if you can handle the work load and can make money. It's a cheap aqusition of wild fur trappers for them.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:16 PM

FHA is most likely accessing the situation and coming up with a plan. It would be foolish of them to make an announcement without getting their ducks in a row. I’m sure we will hear from them when the time is appropriate.

As far as adding sale dates, it isn’t as simple as picking a date. They have to consider when other auctions are (though now there are fewer auctions to work around), travel times, religious holidays (Chinese New Year is important given the current buyer pool) and other factors.

Additionally, FHA has to gear up to handle the increased volume. Space. Graders. Support Staff.

Give them time. They will figure something out.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:19 PM

A lot of their customers ship to both. I would see it as a way to make money but then again they will have all the fresh goods they need. I have some fur still at NAFA. I have wrote it off as lost. I really have no thought of getting any of my fur or money from the bad check back. LLL
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:20 PM

I talked to multiple people about this it sounds like no way they can handle it unless they get more space. So It is possible but not with there current infrastructure. We need both auction houses.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:24 PM

NAFA is dead for now. I hope they make there bad checks right with everyone they owe. The way they are handling things with there customers. Tells the story of the true character of upper management. Good luck to all of you. Hope you get your money. Like I stated in the other thread. Plenty of other avenues and buyers out there. Just have to look and research.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
NAFA is dead for now. I hope they make there bad checks right with everyone they owe. The way they are handling things with there customers. Tells the story of the true character of upper management. Good luck to all of you. Hope you get your money. Like I stated in the other thread. Plenty of other avenues and buyers out there. Just have to look and research.

Yes and spot on. Larry, I ask that question, Mark said....we're working on it! I can't add anything to that!
Posted By: Castormound

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Actor
Well... Many of us were correct … I don't see where they address what they are going to do with all of the fur they are holding in there freezers that belong to the trappers

Garry-

[Linked Image]

Where did this come from?

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cat catcher
I talked to multiple people about this it sounds like no way they can handle it unless they get more space. So It is possible but not with there current infrastructure. We need both auction houses.

sure its not you need,not we need?

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 03:16 PM

My 2 cents on NAFA the king and his jester gutted the place and split. Also, they don't care about us. NAFA is a 4 letter abbreviation after all!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Catpincher
Trapping season is about to get underway and not a peep out of FHA through all of this publicly, although taking the high road is commendable. You would think they would be adding a sale date or two and giving a market forecast. Gopher Everett?

My receiving agent is keeping me updated privately on the situation and estimated value of my product.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 03:39 PM

I don't deal directly with nafa. Or the fha or any other big auction house. Infact I never plan to. But I will ask this of the angry mob. (Hope there is a serious answer.) what effect do you think this will have with the association sales and country buyers. With a major auction house shutting the doors on wild fur. Then things could take an interesting turn. There are other outlets and places to sell. However this can't bode well for the other fur sales and auctions. Please tell me Im wrong.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 03:50 PM

My 2 cents on NAFA the king and his jester gutted the place and split.

Are you speaking of Herman Jansen ?

w

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Another thing.....

This could bring rise to the latest Invasion of Canada by a large, angry mob of jilted wild fur trappers.

Everyone holding a bad check plus bad check charges could meet at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo,

Storm Canadian Customs, and March on Toronto.

Could be the start of the 2019 version of the War of 1812.

Of Course,

We'd have to face Boco's Trapper Militia consisting

of Boco, Jurassic Park, Hutchy, Gibb, Ron, and many other legends. laugh

w

I'd leave Gibb of your list. He was never a believer IMHO. He'll be back at FHA shortly with a sit-rep.
Posted By: mainer

Alright...enough silliness.

If we look at this in terms of "retrenchment" for the industry as a whole, it might have a stabilizing effect and strengthen wild fur markets down the road.
Posted By: brymoore

Originally Posted by Steelflight
I don't deal directly with nafa. Or the fha or any other big auction house. Infact I never plan to. But I will ask this of the angry mob. (Hope there is a serious answer.) what effect do you think this will have with the association sales and country buyers. With a major auction house shutting the doors on wild fur. Then things could take an interesting turn. There are other outlets and places to sell. However this can't bode well for the other fur sales and auctions. Please tell me Im wrong.

You’re right to a certain extent that the excess fur NAFA absorbed and held will need to find new homes. However, the demand for wild fur hasn’t changed because one auction house isn’t selling. Those buyers will move to FHA, local sales and agents to fill their quotas.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:01 PM

I think only time will tell what losing NAFA means. In the short term, simple uncertainty will probably depress things even further. Long term, maybe some other big player will emerge, or several smaller players that will diversify things a little. NAFA is not the only game in town, and I can't help but think someone will see opportunity here and fill the void. This of course would happen a lot faster if we had a decent market! I want to remain optimistic.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:02 PM

Does fha give advances ? Probly not, dont know Who contact, might be best deal with other option, not lot options, unless u want to pay lots shipping or drive long distances. For less money, gfw, is likely only best option, I don't know nothing About fha. Other than small offerings compare to nafa, never try them but there posted sale results are way less than nafa prices
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:03 PM

An since the over all wild fur market Is In the crapper Those other selling venues better have some major storage facilities. Maybe FHA can rent NAFAs Facility In Toronto.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:08 PM

You know the mink ranchers just bankrupted two auction companies by flooding the market. It appears trappers want to do this to the last one. Take a year off!
Posted By: Boco

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:14 PM

FHA is in good shape,they will be in a great position in the next year or two when the market takes off again.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:22 PM

drain the swamp i say. grin

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
FHA is in good shape,they will be in a great position in the next year or two when the market takes off again.

So Robert,

Are you still going to ship wild fur to Doug Lawson and his band of Fur Pirates in 2019-2020 ?

w

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 04:53 PM

What makes you so sure the market is going to take off again in a couple of years?
Posted By: Marty B

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 05:14 PM

What makes you so sure the market is going to take off again in a couple of years?

Perspective is an interesting subject.

Some see a situation as a problem. Others see an opportunity.

The bankers in canada.....with buildings full of market researchers.......think the reward isn't worth the risk.

Life is about change.

I wouldn't wait till the end of the season looking to hit a fur marketing home run this season. Outlets will probably fill quicker this season.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Does fha give advances ? Probly not, dont know Who contact, might be best deal with other option, not lot options, unless u want to pay lots shipping or drive long distances. For less money, gfw, is likely only best option, I don't know nothing About fha. Other than small offerings compare to nafa, never try them but there posted sale results are way less than nafa prices

They will have a whole lot more fur offered than NAFA will this season. LLL

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 06:01 PM

http://www.furharvesters.com/

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 06:28 PM

Here's a tid bit of info that could help out markets... Seems just yesterday the Chinese said " the first round of US trade agreement is considered done" So if the Chinese economy picks up?!!! Well, best just get out there and trap and gun so ya got some furs to sell, otherwise who cares?
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 06:41 PM

I was going to pose this question much earlier but events have moved on but it doesn't change the situation. For the states, there are certainly multiple ways to move wild fur but what about the Canadian "bush" people, especially First Nation trappers? What I've read on tman over the past few years is that NAFA was mostly the way more isolated Canadians got their fur to buyers. Maybe I misunderstood and CAN bush residents have more options but NAFA did have (supposedly) that 1670 Hudson' Bay Company legacy. Too bad the contemporary people have p***ed that away. It would be interesting to hear if young stud muffin PM Trudeau has anything to say about NAFA folding by not taking any wild fur? Maybe Justin is torn by being "woke" and supporting the mostly anti-fur global progressive view that its "evil" and being a SJW for First Nations?? So how does he defend First Nations' people way of subsistence life that includes harvesting wild fur...? Perhaps he should be a national leader instead of being a "cool" politician...? I'm sure Beto O'Rourke can probably offer him some advice...

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 06:57 PM

My understanding is that FHA has agreements, through the government, to market the pelts from native cooperatives. Not sure of the details but there is a reason you see polar bears and seals at FHA but rarely at NAFA.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 07:03 PM

They have a program in NWT where the trappers are subsidized by the government. Socialism Boco! So those natives are being taken care of by Trudeau. As far as trapping being a vital income producer for bush people. If that was true, we would have starved years ago. FHA will provide the same service as NAFA did. Selling fur below production costs.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 09:36 PM

Those programs are provided by the Native governments to support trapping as a cultural necessity.It is covered by the costs the native governents put on the big companys operating on their territory.
Similar to your government giving you a yearly dividend Dirt.I think yours is more socialist than the natives because you don't have to do anything to get yours,just eat,sleep and fart.The natives here have to actually go out on the land and produce something to get their sub.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
Originally Posted by coonman220

You need to check out the Iowa Trappers Fur Auction at Boone Iowa in early January. You should be a member anyway and you should get decent money the day of the sale. You don’t have to sell if you don’t want to. There’s usually many buyers so you can do well if you have good fur. Put up fur always brings the best money. Good luck.

do they give advances?big advances

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 10:10 PM

Those programs are provided by the Native governments to support trapping as a cultural necessity.It is covered by the costs the native governents put on the big companys operating on their territory.
Similar to your government giving you a yearly dividend Dirt.I think yours is more socialist than the natives because you don't have to do anything to get yours,just eat,sleep and fart.The natives here have to actually go out on the land and produce something to get their sub.

I think my money is more socialist too. But that does not change the fact that trapping is subsidized in the Northwest Territories because trapping don't pay in the bush. If it did, they wouldn't be subsidizing it.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 10:13 PM

I haven't shipped for a few years, however at FHA advances are possible and can be negotiated but generally only on fur that enjoys a hot market. They have typically been more conservative than NAFA on the amounts advanced.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 10:13 PM

If you are going to sell at the Iowa Trappers Sale, you won’t need an advance. You get paid in person the day of the sale. Can’t get any better than that!!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 11:08 PM

coonman must use the NAFA advances to fund the logistics to run his line, otherwise why all the interest in them? I prefer to go into debt to trap another way...
Posted By: trapperne

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 11:15 PM

If you can figure out the logistics of coonmans endeavors you might have a chance at balalncimg the federal budget

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by trapperne
If you can figure out the logistics of coonmans endeavors you might have a chance at balalncimg the federal budget

smile laugh grin

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/27/19 11:33 PM

Coonman 2020
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 02:06 AM

Id like to know what’s going to happen with my 62 opossum. I’ve got about $250-300 worth of fur left that was bought back. Not the end of the world but that would help cover a lot of my fuel costs.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 02:10 AM

That's $5 a possum,didnt know they were better than rats.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 02:37 AM

That's $5 a possum,didnt know they were better than rats.

There’s another 20 various furs as well as the opossums
Posted By: otterdog

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 03:00 AM

many local auctions out there, work half as hard to find a buyer and you'll be fine but firstly enjoy your time outdoors!

Where do you think the buyers at the local auctions sell their fur at? NAFA???
This is probably going to be a mess all the way down the line.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Castormound

Garry-

[Linked Image]

Where did this come from?

I rec'd it in an email yesterday and posted it then last evening when I checked my email.

Garry-
Posted By: coonman220

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 03:46 AM

Alot small buyers likely go though groenwold or other, not afford to wait for auction pay. No idea what price well be like now because this, maybe go down more

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Marty B

The bankers in canada.....with buildings full of market researchers.......think the reward isn't worth the risk.

Marty B … maybe the Bankers in Canada, just think NAFA isn't worth the risk. They still might back another company with good business practices and a financial stability.

Garry-
Posted By: nimzy

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 11:50 AM

Marty B … maybe the Bankers in Canada, just think NAFA isn't worth the risk. They still might back another company with good business practices and a financial stability.

Garry-

Doubt it. The business model sucks
Posted By: Marty B

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 12:02 PM

Garry-

that's a fair point.

but a good deal of the financial stability comes from having an actual market for the fur, and forecastable future mkt.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 12:14 PM

i Mean you could just have a sale where the stuff sells, buyers pay, sellers get payed, and the auctions takes their fee and doesn’t run a half (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) ponzy scheme financing other things with sellers money.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 12:48 PM

if you think there is no bad juju goin on in the 100 or so tiny fur auctions across the country,Wayne Derrick and i have a bridge in New Mexico we will sell ya. ;)been travellin to them in PA and NY for close to 30 yrs and ya see some stuff.
Posted By: Ed the hunter

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 01:55 PM

After our recent Election in October, we would gladly let you take Ottawa and the clown that Eastern Canada blindly put back in Office. Come and get him. Western Canada won't stop you. smile
Posted By: MJM

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 03:29 PM

if you think there is no bad juju goin on in the 100 or so tiny fur auctions across the country,Wayne Derrick and i have a bridge in New Mexico we will sell ya. ;)been travellin to them in PA and NY for close to 30 yrs and ya see some stuff.

I think if I felt that way about fur auctions I would stop going to them. I have no clue what kind of "bad juju" you seem to think goes on, but I am wonder what you are hoping for with all your negative posts about auctions. Are you a small country buyer that could make a killing if you didn't have any competition? I would bet you have post more on the NAFA threads than any other person, and have never said a thing good.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
if you think there is no bad juju goin on in the 100 or so tiny fur auctions across the country,Wayne Derrick and i have a bridge in New Mexico we will sell ya. ;)been travellin to the m in PA and NY for close to 30 yrs and ya see some stuff.

I think if I felt that way about fur auctions I would stop going to them. I have no clue what kind of "bad juju" you seem to think goes on, but I am wonder what you are hoping for with all your negative posts about auctions. Are you a small country buyer that could make a killing if you didn't have any competition? I would bet you have post more on the NAFA threads than any other person, and have never said a thing good.

P.A. has a closed to out of staters auction system unless you pay a buyers license fee to buy fur in that state.

So there is no free market there and buyers get fur for pennies on the dollar with no real competition.

This situation is bad for the fur market industry, and really, really bad for the P.A. trapper

New York State, on the other hand, requires no Fur Buyers license from anyone and is even open to Buyers

from Pennsylvania....Go Figure !!! laugh

w
Posted By: bblwi

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/28/19 11:57 PM

Does anyone see this as an opportunity for some new blood or money or individuals in this down market? It would be much less costly to when fur is cheap, now the real question are we in a glut that will rebound in 2-3 years or are we in a major change in the fur market be it overall demand and or specific species etc. I don't know enough about the cyclic history of the trade for the last say 30 years and also what trends are gaining in popularity now and i the near term. It seems to me that when fur garments and trim get as low prices as they are now even upper income middle class individuals don't find fur a status symbol.

If there were and are indeed significant production based loans to producers that helped increase production and those are no longer issued then ranch supply could fall considerably and soon.

Bryce

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 12:06 AM

I think production of ranch mink stated falling about 2 seasons ago. Picked up steam last season.

As far as new opportunities, I’m not sure. Seems like a logically conclusion it would happen but not sure it will. It would have to be some one with deep pockets and the contacts internationally to make it work.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 12:14 AM

After seeing how things have shaken out for wild fur producers and how trappers have been treated

these last four years or so, It's not hard to Imagine a case for a Mink Rancher tainted NAFA board of directors

purposely suppressing wild fur while instead promoting only ranch fur products only.

I wonder if the Russians can find the NAFA CEO, and Board of Directors E-mail chains

and do a cyber-forensic analysis to see if NAFA schemed and plotted to purposely kill off wild fur.

After what has happened in recent months, nothing would surprise me now.

All in my mind warped opinion, of course. laugh

w
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 01:22 AM

Fur Harvesters just put out a press release on their site. http://furharvesters.com/pdf/pressreleaseOCT28.pdf

It appears as though they're up for the challenge.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Catpincher

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
It adds absolutely nothing to the prior statements, nor does it relate to the topic whatsoever, yet somehow it is the perfect paragraph book end.
It has been my personal experience that adding, "You stole from my kin!" at the end of statements just encourages bitterness among conversationalists.
I may begin using your literary enhancer on a regular basis while conversing publicly.
And for that, I thank you.

cattle flatus
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 02:29 AM

I imagine the Chinese will buy.up the failed company.
Their profit margin would be huge.
Then they will control.much.of the world market first hand.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 02:52 AM

Wonder where the pickup guys will get their good fur this year smile
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 02:53 AM

Good one Snowpa.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 03:08 AM

I might be completely off on my thinking but the dues alone should be enough to prove to any bank the underlying interest and support. I believe theirs a few chapters in this story we don't get to see!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 03:19 AM

What does the Wild fur Council at NAFA do? Isn't that made of large scale trappers and buyers. Don't they have any say or do they just pay NAFA money for a Figure head for their letterhead. I also think there is a conversion of property involved here... which could possibly be a felony. or the threat of a law suite. I can't believe that people with hundreds or maybe thousand of dollars worth of fur, deteriorating in NAFA coolers is not worth some action or at least some serious investigation, even on a group level or check into the federal statutes. As I said I don't have a dog in this fight, nor the money to pursue it. But everyone seems be sucking it up and backing down, Letting a bunch of crooks run all over you and rob you blind. I don't want to have to pass out red ribbons to some you for you man buns.

Garry-

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 03:29 AM

The WFSC does not control the board. NAFA created it to give trappers some kind of voice. Not control. It is made up of representatives from different regions of North America. Members elect these representatives. Mine was Pete Wise from B.C. the last I knew when I was still a member. I think they have control of how the wild fur promotion money is spent. The WFSC owns some percentage of the company.
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 02:21 PM

Following. Hoping FHA can do well this year for the trappers.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by conibearguy
Following. Hoping FHA can do well this year for the trappers.

They will do better with out nafas attempt to sabotage their sales, like they have done in the past. If you paid attention, just hours before the May FHA auction, the buyers and brokers were in their rooms at North Bay, and nafa sent them a "press release" that all of a suddun, they had added vast amounts of coon and coyotes to their cataloges for their sale just a few days later. It worked too, because we didn't have near the prices paid compared to our Mar sale or just the year earlier. They always tried to pull some stunt and underhanded stuff on fur harvesters. That example is the one most recent in my memory!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 03:25 PM

"Prior to the start of our auction we received well wishes and encouraging messages from most of the world’s auction houses as we most often always do days prior to our auctions. At times like this when the market is struggling it is so very much appreciated as we all are in the same boat. However the evening of our auction we started receiving messages from a great many of the buyers that had already arrived here in North Bay. The message was the same, a document released from a competitor stating that their offering the morning of May 23rd had increased on several species. In particular MUSKRAT had increased from 90,000 to 208,265 and raccoon had increased from 252,000 to 424,694 in just 12 hours. This was sent to our buyers the evening prior to our auction. In both cases the quantities more than doubled and questions of where this volume could come from was paramount as this much volume was not even produced the past few years. The timing of this tactic was not well received by the great number of buyers forwarding it to us. However the morning of the 25th we began the beaver sale and when concluded we realized an increase of 30% over our March auction in Finland. Muskrat price levels increased with very strong clearances. Our coyote auction surpassed March levels and we succeeded in hitting a top of $140.00 US once again for Eastern Coyotes."

I remembered. Story is a little off, but the accusation is true.
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 04:12 PM

Well then I would imagine prices to slightly be better. Maybe I am wrong. I am hoping just fairly comparable to last year and not going further backwards.
Posted By: mainer

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 04:17 PM

Didn't know any of that. Good riddance to NAFA!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mainer

So many things the average trapper didn’t know if they knew half you’d wonder how they stayed in business this long

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 04:56 PM

And you think FHA Is pure as driven snow?

Talking to a large fur buyer and He said that he would buy coon as long as he could get your coyotes. But if you don't have a decent collection of coyotes don't bother bringing him any coon. Doesn't sound good for the coon market.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 05:09 PM

I never figured FHA was pure. I just figured that they wouldn't go bankrupt before NAFA. smile

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 05:27 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Dirt. I remembered it as coon and coyotes, but it is still the crap they pulled!

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Thanks for the clarification, Dirt. I remembered it as coon and coyotes, but it is still the crap they pulled!

Spoken like a true company man.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 05:47 PM

'Pure as the driven snow" now that's funny I don't care who you are
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/29/19 05:49 PM

As long as buyers show up at the state fur auctions. You can expect to see my fur show up . may the industry adapt quickly

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 03:11 AM

Thanks 52! I was beginning to think my paragraph book end was a Fop. May your Coyotes be fluffy, your cats be clear bellied and spotted and your grinners be few all winter long.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by trapperne
Originally Posted by mainer

So many things the average trapper didn’t know if they knew half you’d wonder how they stayed in business this long

The situation is in deed disappointing. Critical reviews abound. Competition in business is not always friendly. Just competition..

Nafa, a Hudson Bay affiliate, claims of a legacy that dates back to the 1600’s. When did HB switch from a fur trade depot to conducting auctions? As long as I can remember but betting not that long in terms of their duration.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 01:38 PM

In my mind's eye, I can see Herman Jansen now.

Cruising the South Pacific in his 200' foot motor yacht,

drinking a fruity umbrella drink, surrounded by a bevy

of Chinese Super models, grinning from ear to ear,

as he enjoys the stolen fruits of the Wild fur trapper's labors.

Meanwhile NAFA True believers; Teepee2 and coonman220

are marooned on a desert island in the middle of the Missouri River

with a bale of empty NAFA shipping bags and a stack of moldy coon boards.

Who'd a thunk it .............? frown

w
Posted By: trapper234

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 01:53 PM

w

LOL
Posted By: bch

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 02:44 PM

Here is a little info for all of you, a lot of the unsold fur is not in Canada, it is in Wisc. in cold storage, have fun.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 02:49 PM

STOVE TOP--i'm stayin.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 02:51 PM

The amount of fur In Stoughton Is minimal. Maybe some un graded fur that Is not In the system yet.
This Is a new selling season the fur from last year was mostly sent to Toronto.
Posted By: bad karma

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bch
Here is a little info for all of you, a lot of the unsold fur is not in Canada, it is in Wisc. in cold storage, have fun.

now you've done it. I love it.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
The amount of fur In Stoughton Is minimal. Maybe some un graded fur that Is not In the system yet.

so Boco's got it???here that Walleyed--road trip.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

so Boco's got it??? here HEAR that Walleyed--road trip.

I fixed it for you pcr2. HEAR...........not........ here !!! laugh

w
Posted By: teepee2

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 06:09 PM

w
You sure don't know how business works. I sold him that dang yacht, and it's 250'. Get your facts straightened out. (like always)

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 06:14 PM

we aren't talkin the 40 ft of rope with a 10ft dingy hooked to it with Beav. in it the yatchs pullin.

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2

w
You sure don't know how business works. I sold him that dang yacht, and it's 250'. Get your facts straightened out. (like always)

200'........250'..........300'......what difference does it make ?

Once those luxury yachts get above 100' it's all about who got payed and who got poked.

Hope Herman didn't steal any of your coon, Teepee.

w
Posted By: teepee2

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/30/19 06:34 PM

No he didn't steal my coon. He payed me well and thur in some low grade NY rats, said they came from some guy that liked to eat fish. Oh by the way the difference is 50', you might be a good speller but your math skills are a little lacking.
Posted By: bch

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/31/19 04:08 PM

Who really knows what is behind those locked doors in Wisc.?

Re: NAFA not accepting wild fur 2020 - 10/31/19 04:57 PM

That's true you don't know.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums