Home

Preadator trapping

Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Preadator trapping - 10/28/19 12:34 AM

I'm new to this and trapping I'm 14. I want to preadator trap does any one have advice? I love getting any trapping ad vice from other trappers so what ever the species please by all means give me any advice you have.

Thanks

KY trapper
Posted By: black and tan

Re: Preadator trapping - 10/28/19 01:18 AM

Set on sign ( tracks or scat) for coyotes trail cameras are a great tool to help out. Good equipment will save you lots of headaches down the road. And if you want to get your head spinning check out the archives on this site tons and tons of info on there. Good luck
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Preadator trapping - 10/28/19 01:49 AM

Set on sign like said above, and narrow the field to the pan. Rusty Johnson told me that and I’ve taken it to heart. Good luck!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Preadator trapping - 10/28/19 01:55 AM

Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

check out the Archives here too!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Preadator trapping - 10/28/19 11:51 AM

Set were multiple travel corridors come together. Bed traps perfectly solid. Use natural guiding to steer animals to trap. And for coyotes dont walk any closer to set than you need to to see if you have a catch.

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/16/19 12:06 AM

Thank you all so much
Posted By: MATTKS

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/16/19 01:13 AM

Don’t give up. Might take sometime to figure things out, but it does get easier overtime. Keep it simple and remember location is key. I have figured out that nothing really is gospel. Most everyone has their own way of doing things that works for them other than being on location which is gospel. Take what you can from everyone and make it work your own way.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/16/19 01:27 AM

What part of the state do you live in?
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/16/19 02:57 AM

Try using blind sets and flat sets more than dirt holes took me a few years to learn that
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/16/19 03:38 AM

http://kentuckytrappers.com/
and
http://kyboy.proboards.com/

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/21/19 10:45 PM

Allen county near bowling green where do you live
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/22/19 01:44 AM

I live in Bowling Green. I am pulling my first short line tomorrow until after Thanksgiving. I’ll probably reset it the week after Thanksgiving. I plan to run a larger line for canines and beaver in warren and butler county either the week before or after Christmas. If you want, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I would be willing to let you ride along a weekend with your parents permission.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/22/19 02:30 AM

I am in Glasgow, but won't be trapping local much this year, headed west after Thanksgiving. Good trapping in your area and permission is generally fairly easy to get especially if you are after coyotes.

Trapperbless - how has it been going this season? I've barely started, been doing a local beaver complaint. Headed to Western KY and TN after Thanksgiving and then on to Missouri for a whole lot of beaver trapping.
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: Preadator trapping - 11/22/19 03:11 AM

So far so good. I just set a handful last week to see how the fur was looking. Caught 5 coyotes the first 5 days at the farm. These are some of the best coyotes I’ve caught this early in this area. Coon and skunk are huge this year, but could still use a couple more weeks to prime up

Good luck on your trip.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums