Home

North/South observation

Posted By: Mercer Lawing

North/South observation - 11/05/19 10:11 PM

I was out this past weekend chasing deer and quail in this Mohave Desert of California with a friend who is fairly new to hunting and this region. I couldn't help of course ranting on how everything has changed and been ruined for guys like me as well as the wildlife that used to thrive out there before they "saved" it all.
Walked him over to a lone mesquite growing up alongside the north face of a big boulder. Told him to expect an old wire tie off and a bobcat toilet. Sure enough.

Further explained the difference between trapping somewhere like CO where you seek out locations and find the sign on the South facing slopes but in the desert like the spot we were at you find the sign on the north side. It's the only side that can hold enough moisture for any decent amount of vegetation and softer soil so cat can scratch.

Sure wish I had written down all the stories I've been told of trapping California back in the day.
Lots of folks longlined through here. Some sell lure, books and DVDs these days.

ML
Posted By: pcr2

Re: North/South observation - 11/05/19 10:14 PM

interesting,and how do you manage to stay there.it'd kill me.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: North/South observation - 11/05/19 11:16 PM

It’s funny how Experienced trappers have unique observation skills.

Success creates theory.

It’s a dirty shame what’s happened in California. Beautiful country, be very cool to experience it through trappers eyes. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Bob

Re: North/South observation - 11/06/19 02:32 AM

I worked for a guy in eukia California at his ranch up in the redwoods. Beautiful country, I really liked the area but I could never live there because of the laws. He lived in Nevada part time in the town I grew up in and hired me as a day hand, so I’d go with him a few days at a time and work for him out there.

We visit my in-laws in Sacramento about once a year or so, that’s more of that place than I care to see lol. I have good in-laws, I mean the city lol.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: North/South observation - 11/06/19 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I worked for a guy in eukia California at his ranch up in the redwoods. Beautiful country, I really liked the area but I could never live there because of the laws. He lived in Nevada part time in the town I grew up in and hired me as a day hand, so I’d go with him a few days at a time and work for him out there.

We visit my in-laws in Sacramento about once a year or so, that’s more of that place than I care to see lol. I have good in-laws, I mean the city lol.

I've run around in that country a little Bob.

Ever been to Strawberry Valley?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums