Home

Fleshing Knife

Posted By: Jonny8040

Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 02:12 AM

Hey guys,
I am in the need of a new fleshing knife. Ill be honest, I currently am using a machete to flesh my furs haha. I dont do any big animals like beaver, but only trap muskrats, coons, and canines. I have looked at the necker but $80 is a bit pricey. I understand you get what you pay for, but any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

In Jesus,
Jonny
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 02:28 AM

I have fleshing knives made by Tman member Lee Steinmeyer and can highly recommend them. It's trapping season though so I don't know his schedule. Send him a PM if your interested.

His website:

L & P Trapline Supply
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 02:29 AM

i have been using a wiebe elite. Its great. I got it from bogmaster on here. I forget what i paid for it it was less than 80 though. You dont have to spend a fortune to get a good one but it sure isnt something you want to cheap out on.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 03:27 AM

Been using a Necker for 26 plus years. Bobcat, Coyotes, Fox, beaver, coon, skunks, badger etc. Still a good tool. Good tools don't cost they pay. My old man taught me that. I don't even remember what I paid for the Necker but if you divide it over the years use it would be pretty reasonable plus I will probably pass it down to a grandson in a few years.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 03:37 AM

I bought a green English knife and I love it!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 03:38 AM

80$ for a necker? I'm hoping that's Amazon's price(never buy Trapping supplies from Amazon as your just paying a 15-20% tax to Amazon for what they charge third party sellers).After shipping perhaps but I wouldn't spend that on a necker.

Originally Posted by Larry Bowden
Been using a Necker for 26 plus years. Bobcat, Coyotes, Fox, beaver, coon, skunks, badger etc. Still a good tool. Good tools don't cost they pay. My old man taught me that. I don't even remember what I paid for the Necker but if you divide it over the years use it would be pretty reasonable plus I will probably pass it down to a grandson in a few years.

Do you have the 500? Completely different knife than today's 600 as far as quality.
Posted By: regulargrey

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 10:18 AM

I love my post
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 10:47 AM

you won't find a better made, prettier one than Lee Steinmeyer's knives.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 10:53 AM

I have a big green. I just trap coons and it works just fine. I believe I ordered it from Minnesota snares.
Posted By: red webb

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 11:31 AM

If you can find buy a Zeph
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 11:32 AM

SniperBBB, I don't know the model number. I think there was only one Necker fleshing knife at that time. I know I bought it at least 26 years ago and I have probably used it more than the average trapper would. I have not seen the newer models.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/06/19 11:40 AM

Probably the original 500 then. The newer models are not much better than the $20 cheapos.
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 01:06 AM

Caribou.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 01:50 AM

I have a Post, but i purchased one of Lee's knives at the VA trappers convention and cant wait to put it to use. Eric
Posted By: Jonny8040

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 12:16 PM

Thank you all so much for all the input! I really appreciate it! I am looking forward to season!
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 03:03 PM

I have a cheap one. Do not buy a cheap one. The machete you use is likely better than the fleshing knife that I have. I have used a post fleshing knife that a friend had and that is what I will be buying with my first fur check this year. I forgot all about my lack of a good knife when buying trapping supplies this year and am currently suffering because of it. Coon Creek outdoors has a good video on youtube going through the different types of fleshing knives. It is pretty informative on each brand and design.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 03:14 PM

Don't be embarrassed about using your machete if it works for you..I have one of the real cheap knives here haven't used in many many years..When I first started concentrating on coon I made myself a knife from an old lawn mower blade..Used it for several years. Still have it haven't used it in long time.
Not sure how many years ago it was now I bought a Necker..I've used it ever since the others hang on nail on wall..They were all the rage at the time so I'm guessing from what I've heard their not as good now??? But for the money I paid the one I have has worked for me.

Mac
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 03:22 PM

I have a steinmeyer that I haven't used yet also a necker that I just traded for both will work well im sure but neither will ever see the amount of fur that I put up with an old drawknife and hog scraper
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 04:41 PM

Used a old draw knife for a very, very long time, then finally ponied up and bought a Knecker. I like having a sharp and a dull side. 20ish years worth of using it every year, and have no complaints other than I wish the handles didn't get so slippery LOL
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 04:58 PM

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Fleshing+Knives/Sheffield+Fleshing+Knives

I just bought a knife from Lee and haven't used it yet. Lots cheaper than shefield but I can't recommend it yet beyond it really looks well made. Trapping season here doesn't open for a week. Probably wont get one from him now till spring.

I have used the sheffield knives. Excellent quality, a little pricey, but you can leave it to your grandkids. It will last several lifetimes
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 05:35 PM

Another vote for LEE STEINMEYER!
I love mine!
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 07:30 PM

Lee Steinmeyer. Nuff said.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Fleshing Knife - 11/07/19 11:57 PM

I think Mr. Steinmeyer is on his line right now. When I bought mine last month he said he was sending out his last orders for the year mid October. I have a Necker a Post and a Steinmeyer. Steinmeyer all the way.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums