Home

Do you trap on airport property?

Posted By: martentrapper

Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 03:54 AM

Was expecting to trap a beaver house on Fairbanks airport property. They had allowed trapping in the past. Not this year. Turning in to a big hassle and airport manager says FAA has rules on trapping. That seems odd. Alaska airports are owned by the state and FAA deals with aviation.
Beaver cause problems with culverts etc. as you all know. Airport manager is new and a woman. Seems to be a big change with her there.
Chime in guys.
MT
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 06:14 AM

13.04.390 Unauthorized hunting prohibited.
No person shall hunt, pursue, trap, catch injure or kill any bird or animal on the airport without
authorization of the director. (Prior code § 22-6-2)

They can grant you permission. I suspect she does not want to.

Keith
Posted By: waggler

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 06:15 AM

Ask her to see the "FAA rules on trapping". That could be fun.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 10:59 AM

What you have is a paper chaser. Saying goes to who said, I said chase. Goes on paper and the trap is sprung in your favour.
Now your insurance will be another matter.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 11:05 AM

listen,my wife works in a little factory that redoes plane interiors.you should see the things they have to go through,crazy.faa inspected,regular drug testing,extensive and continuing background checks and on and on.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 11:10 AM

I used to a few years ago. They can grant you the permission. They loved me coming out every year. Until the USFW trappers threw a fit. Apparently I was catching more than they were and having trouble justifying a paycheck from the airport. I'll say one of my biggest issues here is the govt trapper.
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 11:21 AM

I trap on an airport, the manager can grant permission, and he called me to take care of the beaver and woodchucks.
Posted By: flash

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 12:28 PM

amen to the government trappers. local guys use to do beaver work for v-dot. guess what...... watched a g-man trap two culverts awhile back on my school bus run that i would of probably been call to take care of for half the price. we even pay for their trucks.......

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 01:18 PM

Keith, is that a federal regulation? Appears to be for Casa Grande, Az.
mt
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 01:52 PM

Wait until they have a bird problem. I can not understand why the risk a 100 million dollar plan and all the law suit they will get IF they have a hit.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by flash
amen to the government trappers. local guys use to do beaver work for v-dot. guess what...... watched a g-man trap two culverts awhile back on my school bus run that i would of probably been call to take care of for half the price. we even pay for their trucks.......

I was asked to submit a bid for Hartsville-Jackson here in Atlanta to deal with coyotes and geese. The whole thing was odd in that I was not actively pursuing that type of work and the only thing that could've got me that sort of attention was my outspoken criticism of WS and their activities in the state. It was obvious in the bid requirements that the bid request was written by someone who knew trapping and Georgia regulation since the required traps to be used, #4, were illegal under Georgia regs and shotgun only (no hazing or repellants) for geese told me that it had to have been written by WS.
BTW, WS services in Georgia and most other states have a Memoranda of Understanding specifically exempting WS from all wildlife regulation.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 03:22 PM

Funny thing is I now have regular clients on adjacent properties to the airport for coyotes. Somewhat odd when you take into account that most of what I'm catching is young dispersing animals. One wonders where they're coming from.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 06:35 PM

Sent you a pm martentrapper
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/06/19 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Keith, is that a federal regulation? Appears to be for Casa Grande, Az.
mt

I thought it was. It came off of www.faa.gov.

Keith
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/07/19 12:36 AM

I am a full time wildlife coordinator for an airport. I deal with the FAA, USWFS and LDWF

The FAA mandates every commercial airport to have a wildlife hazard management plan. General aviation airports have can pretty much do as they please in regards to animals.

Re: Do you trap on airport property? - 11/07/19 03:54 AM

Thanks airport trapper. I'm dealing with Fairbanks International. It is a big time commercial airport with international flights. I will see if we can look into if they have a wildlife hazard management plan. Thank you for that info.
mt
© 2024 Trapperman Forums