Home

DP and Golf ball

Posted By: Kevin Stake

DP and Golf ball - 11/07/19 05:32 PM

What do you use to attach your golf balls to your DP’s? Wire, cable? Or do you just set on top and don’t worry about losing it? I just drilled a hole in two dozen and wanted opinions. Thanks
Posted By: thedude055

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/07/19 05:36 PM

I just set it on top. Trap must be straight though. I have seen guys buy the caps folks sell and tie them off. I have also used Styrofoam cups but they get messy and leave trash behind. I almost always find the golfball. I only use them if i have a mice problem though. I don't use a lot.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/07/19 05:49 PM

on some nuisance coon this summer , the summers theme was rain and more rain and coon problems , a lot of chickens lost this summer , I used Gatorade bottles with the bottoms cut off , they stay on in the wind fairly well , you can see the bait and trap just walking past no need to touch it to check and the orange cap makes them easy to spot.

they also stack decently

some coon chew them up , some don't but it doesn't leave little pieces all over like Styrofoam cups

just an idea to try
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/07/19 06:06 PM

I use golf balls just because I have hundreds of them.. Not sure there much good for keeping rain out? Maybe some? I use them more for mice and like strike indicators.. I can drive down the edge of a corn field and if the ball is still on top trap just drive by.. I do know squirrels and even deer will knock some off.. Most the time I find the ball in the catch circle or just outside of it. I loose some no idea where they hide sometimes? Do have a couple really chewed up ones too..Have used several colors and can't say that I think that makes a difference with catch. Some colors do make my ability to see the trap better in certain locations. But for the most part I just grab a ball out of the bucket.

Mac
Posted By: bch

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/07/19 06:13 PM

You can attach them with cable, I have done that and do not have to look for them
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/08/19 01:22 AM

I screw a wood dowell to the ball. About an inch is all you need. Stays on better and is easier on the hands from setting lots of traps.
just
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/08/19 02:30 AM

I cable mine.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/08/19 02:34 AM

I just set it on top. It's always nearby the catch circle when resetting but we have buckets of them so if I do lose one no biggy.
I like bright colors like neon yellow or pink, easier to find after a catch with snow.
Jim
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/08/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
I screw a wood dowell to the ball. About an inch is all you need. Stays on better and is easier on the hands from setting lots of traps.
just

I like that idea for both reasons!
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/08/19 02:56 PM

I just put a small flat rock on mine. It keeps the mice out, the coon have no problem flipping the rock off and I can put lure on the rock. Plus I think it sheds the rain better than the golf ball.
Posted By: AJE

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/09/19 08:07 AM

If using along h20 I try to cable them, otherwise I just set a ball on top. I generally use white golf balls though I do have other colors.
Some use a styro cup but to me that's just asking for a mess.
You can cable those fancy coon caps with a steel fishing leader if trapping near h20.
Posted By: 2Trackmaster

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/09/19 09:55 AM

Bio degradable coffee cups is what I use just when it looks like wet weather coming. You used to be able to get them at Sams. I haven’t bought any for a long time but bought several on the initial purchase. They stack good will last the whole season and if the coon does tear them up the degrade on their own.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/09/19 10:30 AM

I tried to drill a few one year. Not all golf balls have the same inside and some are pressurized liquid that made quite a splatter on my garage wall, arm, and drill when I hit the center so watch your eyes and be careful when drilling them.
I had several others though that drilled fine. When I attached them with cable to say the chain the coon can really do a number on the cable over time and will.chew up a ball..so I switched to just setting a ball on top and that has kept most of my golf balls reusable year after year. We do have quite a few in buckets though so if I lose one no biggy.
Jim
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/09/19 12:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. More to keep the mice out. I drilled around 36 and never hit one with liquid.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: DP and Golf ball - 11/09/19 01:03 PM

Just thinking, I have about 50 DP and do use golf balls, I also have old arthritic hands. So today I am going to try to screw a short 1 inch dowel to a ball, say 1 inch. Thinking I could preset and bait, insert dowel and allow trap to pinch and hold dowel, ball and bait in place. Takes small effort to press spring to finish setting. Golf ball will stay on top better, smear some stuff on ball sprinkle stuff around and move on. Maybe a poor idea but I am carrying balls now and if I could make setting pre baited trap easier....On reset I could just rotate trap with fresh one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums