Home

Corn crib or is it a coon buffet

Posted By: Swamp Yankee

Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/07/19 11:05 PM

One of my landowners came to me with a problem with coons. So I started to do alittle scouting and found almost all of the coon tracks lead to his corn crib and chicken coop. Just looking for some thoughts about how to draw them away from the crib and into my traps I figure they're already getting a free meal so it might be hard to make them work for much of anything if at all. I'm thinking baiting my dps with dead shiners. I can only use footholds in water unless your specifically targeting coyotes. So this only leaves me with cages and dps. I have an endless supply of dead shiners because my friend owns a bait shop so I I'm not paying for bait and I can get all the corn I want from the landowner if I need. Thoughts ideas comments.....
Posted By: squacks

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/07/19 11:27 PM

Find where the coons are denning. There should be well defined trails to and from the food source Set dog proofs between that spot and the food source on the trails. I use marshmellows on pull trigger traps to save the abundant cat population found in most barnyards.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/07/19 11:33 PM

Consider flat sets on those trails, and baited dp's well before the golden chow hall!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 01:06 AM

There should be a trail or path from the chicken coop to the corn crib. I would not spend a lot of time searching around for other sign when you have that much sign right where they are going to be eating. To keep from having your DPs freezing up I would advocate some dry food baits in the trap and some sweet type trail scent etc. around and or on the top of the trap. They have all they need to eat already, you just need to attract them to your sets.

Bryce
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 01:11 AM

Last year I tried fish in my dps. Won't ever do that again, huge mess I use corn around deer feeders that have corn.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 03:21 AM

If you can shore up the crib to prevent the raccoons from getting the corn, you will have a much easier time to catch them with just about anything. They will continue to come to the closed buffet.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 11:05 AM

live traps with a corn cob should work well
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Consider flat sets on those trails, and baited dp's well before the golden chow hall!

This
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 01:07 PM

If here I'd blitz the trails with blind sets and dps.
He said he can not use paw traps there.
Posted By: grumpa

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 04:13 PM

Just trap coyotes in the area too.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 04:13 PM

I trapped that same situation for a farmer in my area several years ago. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like to eat the same thing day after day. I think coon will eat what's available, but does sooner go for a change if it's available. I used miniature marshmallows for bait with live traps, DPs, and bucket sets. They hardly hit the corn. I think I took 10 or 11 coon from that farm in just a few days.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/08/19 05:08 PM

[Linked Image]

No cats and coons seldom walk past it. As stated put it in their trail. If they are that much sign load the area up with traps. Heck set a couple and put shell corn in them. That is what they are coming to eat. So first morsel will be eaten even if it is corn.
Posted By: Swamp Yankee

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/09/19 12:58 AM

Sorta what I'm thinking I just wanted to see what other guys would do in my case. Then again when in doubt try all of the above and see what works.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/09/19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by grumpa

this^^^ lol
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Corn crib or is it a coon buffet - 11/09/19 05:01 AM

If you can convince DNR the coons are incidentals. lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums