Home

Gabion baskets

Posted By: AJE

Gabion baskets - 11/08/19 04:20 AM

I have some erosion control I'm trying to deal with on my property. Someone suggessted gabion baskets. I have to admit I'd never heard of a gabion basket. They look intriguing. Maybe some of you use them.? Here's an example:

https://earthwallproducts.com/retaining-wall-systems/gabion-baskets/
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/08/19 04:29 AM

Have seen them used in south east Iowa along the interstates. They are labor intensive to build and take a special sorted for size stone.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/08/19 04:30 AM

Old chain link fence works. Cylinder shape upright 2 rows nested together is how I’ve done it for beach erosion.
Posted By: Ross

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/08/19 11:57 AM

They like to use them here where there is a good bridge trapping spot they want to ruin.

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/09/19 08:21 AM

I've nevet seen 1 around here, but I think I can see how these could benefit some landowners.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/09/19 10:37 AM

wonder how rusty the chain link is in 20 years? wonder how long before it begins to disintegrate? probably never in southern Utah but I bit 30 years in Florida there would not be any left.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/09/19 12:33 PM

they have their place, but we're replacing many of those structures with poured concrete abutments.

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/10/19 10:15 AM

I too am curious how the basket wire holds up over the years.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Gabion baskets - 11/10/19 12:44 PM

we have some that are well over 20 years old. but most need to be replaced. the stones will settle over time, traffic tends to increase...

they served their purpose (providing cheap access and buying time).
Posted By: Teyi Gabion Bask

Re: Gabion baskets - 04/30/21 09:45 AM

Happen to know something about gabions, pleased to share some information on the use of gabion baskets:

As far as I know, metal mesh gabions with zinc alumium coating protection can be used for over 80 years or even longer. This finish is also known as Galfan coating technically. In this kind of treatment, aluminum is added to the zinc galvanising process for increased corrosion protection compared with traditional pure zinc coating or common galvanizing. Further PVC coating on the wire provides additional corrosion protection for the gabions and further extends its service life.

The point is that the wire quality must be guaranteed to meet the various standards setting internationally, for example, tensile strength of the wire shall be between 380 - 550 N/mm2, also other requirements for elongation, coating standards, etc.
Using mesh gabions holding stones in construction is more environmental friendly than concrete pouring, I think, because it uses natural stone and plants can grow with it.

More information about how gabions is used, you may refer to: https://gabionbasket.org/gabions/information/gabion-system-solutions.htmlUse gabions in engineering projects
Posted By: warrior

Re: Gabion baskets - 04/30/21 12:52 PM

Actually those are only the modern iteration as gabion baskets are rather ancient in concept. They were often used in field fortifications in seige war fare and were still mentioned in army field manuals when I was an army engineer.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Gabion baskets - 04/30/21 12:54 PM

Had to look up where Dezhou was. Yep China
Posted By: jk

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 12:43 AM

Teyi Gabion Bask Welcome to trapperman. we would like to hear about your adventures and some photo would also be nice. Thanks for joining.....jk
Posted By: Lost in utah

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 12:46 AM

I’ve always called them time release capsules. Eventually they rust out or break. Have had better luck just using large rock.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 12:49 AM

heavy welded wire lined with tar paper and filled with dirt and stone.....e-z peasey.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 12:51 AM

Galvanized cattle and hog panels will work. They will last a long time. I have seen them used in a circular form but could be bent for other shapes.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 01:00 AM

Gabion baskets work great as long as you have the rocks to fill them with.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 01:27 AM

Welcome.
Now I know what those rock sacks are called. Learn something everyday.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 01:49 AM

seen them too never thought they had a name I can see dumping a truckload of stone and picking it up and putting them in wire frames would be a godsend
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 02:53 AM

Assembled and filled a pile of them. Not bad work.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 05:03 AM

Looks like what we call chicken wire
Posted By: bogio

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 01:06 PM

We have a marsh spillway structure in our park constructed out of gabion baskets. It is 10 years old and has collapsed due to settling and rust out. We are starting the process of replacing it with a concrete structure. Gabions were used as a cost saving alternative. We are now going to have 2 1/2 times the total investment over simply building it right the first time, plus the damage that will be done draining and starting over our marsh. If limited to 2 or 3 baskets high with light to moderate water action, the gabions appear to be a viable option for erosion containment. In our case, stacked 6 to 7 high and with the water pressure associated with a spillway situation, they were a very poor choice.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 01:20 PM

Zero photos?
Posted By: Marty

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 05:00 PM

they are a good option for ballistic protection..
Posted By: waggler

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/01/21 07:01 PM

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gabion+ba...;atb=v194-1&iax=images&ia=images
Posted By: Boco

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/02/21 03:39 AM

Quicker method of cribbing looks like.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/02/21 04:53 AM

Depending on the flow of water, berms of 2 or 3" rock can do the same thing. Won't work for every situation though.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/02/21 12:36 PM

I’ve put in a couple dozen in the past 15 years. They all seem to be doing there job.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/09/21 04:51 PM

Going to do a gabion basket for a gate post here before long. There is a youtube video that is interesting. You can also use them for ornamental stuff. Yote skull gabion.
Got another 115 yot skulls in the ground to finish this basket. Then might do a doe basket.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: warrior

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/09/21 04:58 PM

I like that! Might have to do one myself.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Gabion baskets - 05/09/21 04:59 PM

Guaranteed it’s the only one in the neighborhood. Lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums