Home

The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975.

Posted By: LAtrapper

The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 03:20 PM

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

Posted By: Pawnee

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 03:35 PM

I watched a documentary on that a few years ago
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 04:21 PM

It had to be pretty rough on those boys, knowing they were in big trouble.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
It had to be pretty rough on those boys, knowing they were in big trouble.

According to the documentary they didn’t have a whole lot of time once the trouble started.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 06:05 PM

The legend lives on ...
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/10/19 07:07 PM

I was just at Whitefish Point, toured the shipwreck museum for the umpteenth time. Gazing upon her bell gives one goose bumps. Whitefish Point, the light house and shipwreck museum are a must see if one is anywhere near Paradise Michigan or Tahquanamen falls area. Rest easy Fitz.
Posted By: run

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:01 AM

Is this on the UP somewhere? Pardon the stupid question.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:09 AM

I can't make it more than halfway through Gordon Lightfoot's song without choking up and shedding a tear for those lost souls.
No other song does that to me.
That song has to be the most well written, and executed song ever.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:17 AM

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is considered any place North of Mackinaw City, it is where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet. Lakes Superior is on the North shore of Michigan.. Whitefish Point is on the far East end of the U.P. If you look at a map and see Sault Ste. Marie you will see a point sticking out into Lake Superior, that is Whitefish Point and Whitefish Bay, that is where the EF was trying to get to.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
I can't make it more than halfway through Gordon Lightfoot's song without choking up and shedding a tear for those lost souls.
No other song does that to me.
That song has to be the most well written, and executed song ever.

I do the same thing , I been the rough seas of the north Atlantic and hear before how bad it was there and I got first hand know on it . I always felt bad hear that sound and today on the radio they said that there was other ship that went down on that same day in some years before.

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:24 AM

For the past 46 years I have been going to Whitefish Point in the spring to band hawks. The deck that is at the shore has a compass pointing in the direction of the EF. If you ever make it the U.P. Whitefish Point is a nice day trip.
Posted By: run

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is considered any place North of Mackinaw City, it is where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet. Lakes Superior is on the North shore of Michigan.. Whitefish Point is on the far East end of the U.P. If you look at a map and see Sault Ste. Marie you will see a point sticking out into Lake Superior, that is Whitefish Point and Whitefish Bay, that is where the EF was trying to get to.

Thanks for the explanation, my mom is a lighthouse enthusiast.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 12:40 AM

Back in the mid '90's I was working for Inland Steel on the ore boat,the Wilfred Sykes out on Lake Michigan in October when a sudden storm blew in.We turned and went back to port to ride it out.A bunch of old timers were in the galley where I was and they started talking about past storms,then the Fitzgerald came up.These guys all knew the crew on the Fitzgerald,and some of them had been very good friends.I listened to these guys talk about hanging out with the crew,and how they'd worked together and socialized personally when they laid up in the winter.They talked about being out on the lake that night and how everybody was running for cover trying to get to safety.They had gotten the word the Fitzgerald was missing and the next day were searching in the last known position of the ship.I knew at the time how fascinating and lucky I was to be hearing first hand accounts from men who personally knew the crew and were out in that same storm that night.

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
Back in the mid '90's I was working for Inland Steel on the ore boat,the Wilfred Sykes out on Lake Michigan in October when a sudden storm blew in.We turned and went back to port to ride it out.A bunch of old timers were in the galley where I was and they started talking about past storms,then the Fitzgerald came up.These guys all knew the crew on the Fitzgerald,and some of them had been very good friends.I listened to these guys talk about hanging out with the crew,and how they'd worked together and socialized personally when they laid up in the winter.They talked about being out on the lake that night and how everybody was running for cover trying to get to safety.They had gotten the word the Fitzgerald was missing and the next day were searching in the last known position of the ship.I knew at the time how fascinating and lucky I was to be hearing first hand accounts from men who personally knew the crew and were out in that same storm that night.

I lost a brother in a winter storm on Lake Michigan on a fish tug.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by run
Is this on the UP somewhere? Pardon the stupid question.
As explained above, yes, Whitefish Point is in the eastern U.P. The Fitzgerald went down n.e. of Whitefish Point. The boat actually rests on the bottom in Canadian territory.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on this date in 1975. - 11/11/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
I was just at Whitefish Point, toured the shipwreck museum for the umpteenth time. Gazing upon her bell gives one goose bumps. Whitefish Point, the light house and shipwreck museum are a must see if one is anywhere near Paradise Michigan or Tahquanamen falls area. Rest easy Fitz.

I second if you are up that way go to the museum and check out all the information. Had no idea Lake Superior could get that rough, they said the winds were 96 mph when she sank. There was a video of waves crashing over the top of the cliffs along the pictured rock lake shore. I also had no Idea the lake was over 1500 feet deep. I learned a lot going through that shipwreck museum.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums