Home

My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!)

Posted By: Coon Duke

My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 09:09 AM

Thank you to all the veterans who served our country and especially my pap who served in the Pacific in WWII. This is a photo of him and my son and the train (as well as the wooden figures) he designed & built in 2016 at the age of 91. It is a model of the train on which he returned home from the war.

He is battling the final stages of cancer now and I thought he may enjoy reading some comments from you all on this Veterans Day.

Attached picture 631683F1-9A3E-4926-9D22-FA0DB530D489.jpeg
Posted By: trapete

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 09:22 AM

Thank you for serving and nice job on the train.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 10:05 AM

Nice job on the train sir! Thank you for your service. I'll bet you were glad to be on that train home! Good luck with your present battle.
My dad served in Korea and lost his final battle 5 years ago.
Joe
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 10:45 AM

Thanks for your service sir in the big one. My dad also served and shot down but survived it.. he would be 97 if alive now. The greatest generation you are!
Posted By: Squash

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:03 AM

Thank your dad for his service, my father also served in the pacific theater ,made 7 amphibious landings earning 5 battle stars aboard the LCI981L. If alive he would be 94, your dad and mine are and were truly the greatest generation.
Posted By: Len Dunham

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:05 AM

Thank you for your service.My dad was in ww2 in pacific. He would be 97
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:08 AM

Thank you for your service, The train is a work of art, beautiful job. My prayers will be with you.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:20 AM

absolutely beautiful and thank you so much.my grandparents on my moms side met because of the war.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:28 AM

I believe your willingness to sacrifice yourself places you in a very special group.
" Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Thank you for your service.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:40 AM

Thank you doesn't seem like nearly enough but I don't know any other words to say.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:47 AM

Thank you for your service and great job on the train .
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:50 AM

Posted By: k snow

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:50 AM

Thank you for your service. Great job on the train and a great story behind the train.
Posted By: Zim

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:10 PM

Thank you sir for all you have done. My father is a WWII vet who was in Europe in 44 & 45.
He will be 94 in a couple of months. I can't thank you guys enough for what you went through.

Zim
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:16 PM

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
Posted By: Ave

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:20 PM

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:21 PM

Happy Veteran's Day sir! Thank you for your sacrifice. My dad was born in 1925 also, and fought in France.

That work you did on that train is outstanding.
Posted By: EdP

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:25 PM

The challenge of WW2 and the American men and women who rose to meet it have set a standard the country has yet to surpass. Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:26 PM

Thank you for your service sir. My uncle Bill was a Marine on Okinawa in 1945. My uncle Merle(97 yrs old) was in Navy and was on Okinawa in 1945 also. If you were there with them I know it was not a very pleasant experience. My dad was about 10/11 yrs younger so he got to go to Korea. Beautiful job on train!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:33 PM

Great craftsmanship on the train. My grandfather was also in WWII in the Pacific. Thanks for your service and God bless.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:43 PM

Thank You for your Service, Really Great job on the Train!!!
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:45 PM

You should be very proud---Thank You
Posted By: MChewk

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:49 PM

Tough as nails. Thank You Sir for your time protecting the USA.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 12:53 PM

I really hate to see us losing that generation. Those were the toughest humans on earth. I bought my house from a WWII fighter pilot. He's gone now. I regret not listening to more of his life stories. Todays generation has no idea what those guys went through.

You're Dad is one of the few still surviving from that era. How many of those guys even made it back is a miracle. I'm happy to hear you two are still apart of each others lives. That's a big win (for both of you), I'd say.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:00 PM

Much appreciation to your dad and all veterans for their service. My own dad was in the navy in the Pacific in WWII. He had a brother in the army that died on Luzon. Dad would tell of the train ride he took to get back home from Oregon to Kentucky.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:09 PM

Thank you for your service to our Country. Thank all vet past and present that have help keep our Country safe!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:13 PM

Thank you for your service and all other vets....Trains are the best !
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:15 PM

5 of the seven siblings in my dads family served. three brothers and one sister in ww 2, one brother in Korea
Thank you all for your service and leading the way.
Posted By: eric space

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:28 PM

Thanks so much for your service.
My Father-in-law, died in late September, he was also in the Pacific.
When I was a freshman in high school, a senior, Wesley Doty sat next to me. He was killed in Vietnam. Every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner I say a prayer for Wesley.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:33 PM

Thanks for your service and sacrifice , a real work of art on the train. Sorry to here of your current battle. Just think of what this world would be like if you folks didn't fight like you did. Thanks again!
Posted By: K52

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:43 PM

Our country is diminished every day by the passing of the brave men & women that served in WW2. Those people saved the world from Fascism and then came home and became the leaders of our communities . I am so fortunate to have had those people in my life, as that young man in the picture has. The influence of his grandpa and his values will serve him well as he grows up into adulthood, an influence that too many kids today need and will never have.

Thank you to all our vets, Dad would have been 100 in a couple of months and a Navy vet who was also in the pacific for Iwo Jima & Okinawa.
Posted By: john epler

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:54 PM

Thank you for your service. The train is very impressive and must have taken a lot of time to make. My wife and I hope you have a wonderful Veterans Day. It is because of the sacrifices people like you made that we have the freedom we all enjoy today. Sincerely, John and Linda Epler
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 01:59 PM

Tell him thanks for his service, my grandpa was also in WW2 and was shot twice, once in the nose so needless to say he wore the scars of battle. Unfortunately he died when I was 14 and he was 72. What I would have gave to have more time with him. So cherish every moment you have together. Great looking train, my grandpa was also quite the woodworker, so this definitely reminds me of him
Posted By: Catch22

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:00 PM

Sir, thank you so much for your service and sacrifice for our great nation. You kept us safe and free, and from my heart I thank you and I appreciate you. I will ask the Creator to bring you many blessings of comfort, joy and peace.

That train set is a work of art, absolutely beautiful and I'm sure your Grandson will cherish it for life. My Grandpa served in the Army in WW11, the 14th Tank Battalion 9th Armored Div, "The Phantom 9". He left me some things and I cherish them as well.

I was at the local RKO store the other day and the VFW was set up there selling Poppy's, I usually get mine at the Legion but walked up to a Vet sitting there and made my donation, and he gave me a Poppy and thanked me. He was a Nam Vet wearing a USS Kitty Hawk hat. I thanked him for his service and he said, that it was his honor. All of you Vets are so incredibly wonderful, and again Sir, thank you. Carry on.

Jeff
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:20 PM

Thank you for your service sir as Americans we owe you a great deal of gratitude thank you
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:23 PM

Thanks to your dad and all vets.My dad was also in the south pacific.Sixth Marines.Two purple hearts.Wounded on Bouganville and Okinawa.Battle of Sugar Loaf Hill.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:25 PM

Thank you for your service. We are all sporting our poppies over here for Remembrance Day.
I saw the cadets standing at attention out in the snow last night (it's like an honor guard, they will stand there all night) as a testament to the sacrifices made by others on our behalf.

I am glad we're on the same side smile

Enjoy your day, you all deserve it (and more)
Posted By: Patrice

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:26 PM

Thank you, Coon Duke's Dad, and prayers for your health and continued happiness. Thank you for your service to our country, for fighting for the freedom we enjoy today.

I absolutely love your train, and I can see that your son and your grandson do too!

My dad was a Korean war vet, who was a train loving guy and model railroad builder. Wonderful stuff!

Happy Veterans Day!
Patrice
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:46 PM

My father was born in 1926. Enlisted in the Navy right out of high school in 1944. He saw service in the Pacific also.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Great to see you passing on history to your young descendants.
MT
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 02:57 PM

thank you Sir .

my Grandfather was Navy WWII he passed away a few , several years back now.

thank you to all the vets
Posted By: redsnow

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 03:24 PM

Coon Duke, give your Pap a hug for me. He'll understand.

Thanks to all of our veterans, past and present.
Posted By: Mac

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 04:24 PM

Sir, thank you for serving.
Posted By: bur

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 04:42 PM

thank you for serving. the train is excellent!
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 05:13 PM

Thank you for your service, Sir.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 05:37 PM

Thank you for your service sir. Great looking train.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 06:10 PM

Thanks you for your service sir. My Dad was in France, and passed just a few years ago.His brother didn't make it off Normandy beach.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 07:14 PM

Thank you sir for your service. What a wonderful day that must have been when you got on that train. Everyone who gets to see the train you made gets to share in that joy. Just as we get to share the freedom that you and all veterans fought and still fight for.
Posted By: MB750

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 07:29 PM

Great job on the train Sir.
My Dad was also in during WW II Army Air Corp, Dad died in 2008.
My Brother Carl was in Army. Served in Nan. Carl died in 2000 from cancer and Agent Orange.
One son, Bill was in Air Force,
Another son, Sam is still serving. Army, 27 years. He served in Afghanistan.
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 09:12 PM

Thank you so much for your service! There will never be another generation like yours!
Posted By: Scout1

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 09:26 PM

Pap, thanks for your service!!!! Look forward to seeing your pic next Veterans Day. I'd love to hear some good war stories??
Posted By: Tommie

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 10:21 PM

Thank you for your service sir.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 10:49 PM

I Salute you sir. My father served in China, Burma, India campaign during WWII. You were and still are the "greatest Generation" in my eyes. SALUTE !
Posted By: chas3457

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/11/19 11:28 PM

Thank you for your service, Sir. Prayers sent for you, as you face your current barrel.

Beautiful job on the train.

Charlie
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/12/19 12:08 AM

Thank you for your service and great job on the train Sir.
Posted By: CJT Outdoors

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/12/19 12:26 AM

Thank you for your service. My grandfather was a vet, when he came home he worked at Volk Field in Wisconsin.
Posted By: CornFedCoon

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/12/19 12:29 AM

Thank you for your service! The Pacific war was particularly atrocious. I think all Americans ought to have a detailed knowledge and appreciation for what that generation lived through.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/12/19 01:02 AM

Sir , thank you for your service. Thanks to all vets as well , words cannot express the gratitude.

My father served in the Navy . He was at Normandy on the USS Augusta. I spent many a day and night at the VFW halls for functions as a child.

Go vets !!!!!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: My Pap - WW2 Vet (Please comment!) - 11/12/19 02:12 AM

Without the likes of you sir, this world would have turned out much differently. For that I am sincerely thankful for what you and your generation did for the entire world.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums