Home

DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES

Posted By: rbthounddog

DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/11/19 07:35 PM

To run a 3" auger on a cordless drill for dirtholes, whats the best drill to have??
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/11/19 08:04 PM

I use a Milwaukee I was just going to buy the drill but for the money I ended up buying the whole setup drill, light, sawzall, impact the sawzall it awesome for trimming trees etc and that light wow! got change a tire BRRRRRap!
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/11/19 08:08 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DR90MM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats what im running. Works great
Posted By: JustinEllisNM

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/11/19 08:10 PM

I run a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" Hammer-Drill/Driver.
Most any of the pro grade brands of 18/19.2/20V 1/2" Drills should do the job just fine.

Brand wise, I would look at Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Metabo HPT, maybe Ridgid but nothing from Harbor Freight, Skil, Black and Decker, or Ryobi.
Definitely look at the brushless models, they get way better battery life, and will last better in the dirt, dust and mud than a traditional brushed model.

One tip, be sure to get, and use a side handle. It'll save your wrist!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 05:34 AM

I've used a DeWalt 24v for over 15 years, works good, a 60v flex volt would be even better x2
Posted By: James

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 05:47 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but why add a heavy drill to your pack, when a trowel will do?

Jim
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 09:20 AM

I have Ryobi drill, 3 to be exact. I drill dirtholes with one, the wife uses it to plant bulbs and during winter I put a adapter on it with a 5 inch Lazer ice auger bit to drill for panfishing all winter. Get about 30 holes in 18 inches of ice on the big Lithium battery. James most often use a trowel, but when tailgate trapping I use a drill.
Posted By: LeviSS

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by James
Pardon my ignorance, but why add a heavy drill to your pack, when a trowel will do?

Jim

So much quicker. If you're trapping not far from a vehicle, weight doesn't matter that much.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 02:49 PM

I use a 18volt dewalt hammer drill with a 3 inch double flight auger from Stalker. I picked the drill up at a pawn shop for 40 bucks and got a pair of new batteries from amazon for about 30.
J
Posted By: The hammer

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 03:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Been using this porter cable for 2 years now. Weighs less then my sod buster and for 60$ if it dies I won't loss much sleep over. If making dirt holes I don't even carry digger, I'll just use it to auger out quick hole and trap bed.

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 11/13/19 08:27 PM

I don't have use for a pack, my ATV carries everything, it would take too much time to trowel a 20" hole out
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 04:54 PM

I am looking into getting a drill for an auger, is it necessary to have a hammer drill or will a regular drill work?
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by James

Jim

Speed ,just a lot faster and that's time and scent control. You can do a lot of eye appeal with that auger in a few seconds

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 05:28 PM

My hands are so bad from working with them all my life, the drill saves me work and maybe less hand numbness
Posted By: Taximan

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 06:18 PM

I think a hammer drill would be best.Don't forget,you can also pre-drill for your stakes or earth anchors.Doing that,you can eliminate both a trowel and the weight of the hammer you carry.This can negate the weight of the drill.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 06:38 PM

I have the same setup as The hammer above, works great
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 07:55 PM

I bought a gas powered earth auger at Harbor Freight. t came with a 6" and I got a 2', 3" and 4" for it. It's quick and easy and very little effort. I dig trap bed hole with 6" ( K-9 Extreme or #3 Bridger dogless) then which ever size I want dirt hole or holes. Takes all of about 2 or 3 minutes. It's amazing the difference a 5" deep hole under your trap when bedded makes. Makes gang setting a breeze. I know it's not a cordless drill but it works for me for about the same cost and I never have a dead battery.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/25/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I bought a gas powered earth auger at Harbor Freight. t came with a 6" and I got a 2', 3" and 4" for it. It's quick and easy and very little effort. I dig trap bed hole with 6" ( K-9 Extreme or #3 Bridger dogless) then which ever size I want dirt hole or holes. Takes all of about 2 or 3 minutes. It's amazing the difference a 5" deep hole under your trap when bedded makes. Makes gang setting a breeze. I know it's not a cordless drill but it works for me for about the same cost and I never have a dead battery.

I was thinking this. If I ever was to do a drill it would be one designed for that kind of hole. Are you guys drilling in hard frozen ground with the battery drills? I have used my battery drill in late October early November but I would end up with broken augers or drills or maybe a wrist if I tried in this ground.
Posted By: LDW

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 02:05 AM

I would go with a rotary hammer drill. You can chisel out trap beds, drill pilot holes for earth anchors and even drive the earth anchors as well as drill Dirtholes. I use a Milwaukee. One of the best investments I've made.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 02:06 AM

LDW,

which model?

do I remember you use a spade bit for chiseling trap beds in frozen ground?

Thanks!

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 02:11 AM

I don't remember the model. Yep a spade bit for the trap beds. The battery lasts longer than you think, made 8 new sets in 8in of frozen ground yesterday. Still had 3/4 battery left.

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
LDW,

which model?

do I remember you use a spade bit for chiseling trap beds in frozen ground?

Thanks!

White, the model I have is 2712-20 M-18 Fuel 1in SDS
Posted By: white marlin

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 02:17 AM

Thanks!

spade bit?
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 05:09 AM

I have a couple questions.

1. What is the benefit of making a 20” hole?

2. One of the augers posted seems to be big enough for a K9 to stick its face in the hole, wouldn’t a smaller diameter hole inspire digging?
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 12:03 PM

Needs to be at least 12 inches deep if you can get it. Or they can reach over the trap and paw the bait out. I went to the two inch hand auger over the three inch auger years a go. I use smaller traps traps. 1.75 and 2's. They could dig it from the side. My preference. Experience demonstrated I made the right decision for me.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote Clayton
Needs to be at least 12 inches deep if you can get it. Or they can reach over the trap and paw the bait out. I went to the two inch hand auger over the three inch auger years a go. I use smaller traps traps. 1.75 and 2's. They could dig it from the side. My preference. Experience demonstrated I made the right decision for me.

So mostly used by those who use bait. Thanks.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: DRILL FOR DIRTHOLES - 12/26/19 05:23 PM

Will they work in dirt with a lot of shale and stones?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums