Home

Don Cherry Fired...

Posted By: Hutchy

Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 08:42 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-fired-coaches-corner-1.5355764

The real prime minister of Canada, hockey coach,and national treasure has been fired by sportsnet for "divisive comments"

What comments you ask? He simply stated that immigrants should buy poppies. He didnt even say "immigrants", only implied it. He said "you people"...

Have a look.

Free speech is dead in Canada.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 08:47 PM

Canada does not have free speech.

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 08:49 PM

Freedom of expression is protected as a fundamental freedom.

At least it used to be.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 08:58 PM

Someone should ask Justin Trudeau to intercede on the behalf of Freedom of Speech.

Oh wait, never mind. frown

w

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 09:00 PM

Good point...

So...we have a prime minister who wore blackface many times, has been convicted of countless ethics violations, etc..and was reelected.

Don Cherry says Immigrants should buy poppies to show respect for veterans who fought for this country, and he is fired???

Stop the ride, I want off.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 09:48 PM

A few years ago Don Cherry was second, I believe, on the list of Greatest Canadians-from a national poll.
Now he is treated like scum for saying immigrants should support the armed forces.Something wrong with this picture.
The time to take action is near.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 09:55 PM

The time to take action was a month ago... and somehow, people across the country voted in the sort of Marxist scumbags who would approve wholeheartedly of what just happened.

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 09:56 PM

Voting is not action.

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
The time to take action was a month ago... and somehow, people across the country voted in the sort of Marxist scumbags who would approve wholeheartedly of what just happened.

I am still boggled by this
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 10:34 PM

"somehow" it wasnt somehow, Canada like my state of MN has imported enough votes to never again see the peaceful rise of conservatism or western traditional values.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/11/19 11:40 PM

Sportsnet is owned by Fox,,,what would you expect from the brass.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Voting is not action.

Are you suggesting you may be calling up the Northern Ontario Trappers Aboriginal Militia ? laugh

w

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:08 AM

Might have to re connect with the men behind the wire.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:20 AM

My take on the situation, Don Cherry is very compassionate and supportive of Veterans. He gave a heads up to people, who maybe relatively new to Canada, on how important it is to support the Veterans, what the poppy symbolizes and encouraged them to buy a poppy... Good Grief!
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:33 AM

I'm not the biggest Don Cherry fan, but he was right. It shouldn't be to much to ask to support our veterans.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:35 AM

Don Cherry is a Patriot, loves his country.. I can appreciate that.
Posted By: Dirk

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 12:50 AM

Loved his 6 inch collared shirts and the coaches corner segments, I remember having sleepovers with my friends as kids and we watched his Rock em sock em videos over and over

Ive always loved his pro military stance and his stance on the occasional scrap and physical play that hockey does not have anymore and that's why I haven't watched in years

God Bless you Don Cherry
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 01:27 AM

I always thought of him as the obnoxious loud mouthed Canadian version of Deon Sanders. Still....shouldn't have lost his job. That clown was fun to watch in the few times American hockey would show his segments.

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/12/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by old_newbie
I'm not the biggest Don Cherry fan, but he was right. It shouldn't be to much to ask to support our veterans.

That's the thing about Don. You don't have to like him, but he generally is right.

Cherry for prime minister
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/13/19 09:04 PM

Good glad they dumped him! He was boring. people whining about an 85 year old millionaire getting fired. Good he can start collecting his old age pension now.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/13/19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy

I am still boggled by this

I am still throwing up in my mouth each time I think about it
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Don Cherry Fired... - 11/13/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Good glad they dumped him! He was boring. people whining about an 85 year old millionaire getting fired. Good he can start collecting his old age pension now.

Boring?

Ya right-not even close.An old school guy that was a patriot and called it like he saw it-no (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) footing around-ya a little rough around the edges-but he is a true Canadian and stood up for canadians game of hockey.His statement was not meant to offend anyone-just asking the new people that arrived in our great country to step up and buy a poppy to support the men who died for our country.People are so quick to judge these days-you really have to think about each and every word spoken-especially when you are in the public eye.It really is a shame that he got fired for this.I heard other people say he should be " put out to pasture"-that right there is as ignorant as it gets.

A true Icon for the game of hockey-what a shame.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums