Home

what is the best cold weather coon bait

Posted By: muskrat95

what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/11/19 09:26 PM

Weather is turning real cold here in SD/ND just wondering what the best coon bait is for coons when it gets cold.
Currently using cat/dog food for dp bait with fish oil or vanilla but coons are walking right past them.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/11/19 09:37 PM

220's in the coon trails fixes that problem if SD allows that.. other than dog food and fish oil I don't have another suggestion.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/11/19 09:39 PM

I've caught a few coons this year in 12 to 15 degree weather on a mix of peanut butter, dog kibble, and other sweet things added.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/11/19 11:27 PM

Skunk essence.
Posted By: mikeinpa

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 01:13 AM

If theyre walking by,put a trap where they're already stepping. Why try and make them do anything other than what theyre already doing? Sometimes its like that around here in the cornfields. They get so focused on that corn they dont even bother to work a set.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 02:02 AM

Down south when it gets below freezing a bait with shellfish oil seems to get their attention. Shellfish oil on warmer nights has been ineffective for me and fish oil does better.
Blind trail sets as mentioned above will remedy the need for bait selection.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 02:03 AM

Make the most spotless, perfectly blended fox or coyote set possible. Works every time when I'm trying to avoid Raccoons.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Make the most spotless, perfectly blended fox or coyote set possible. Works every time when I'm trying to avoid Raccoons.

I second that!!!
Posted By: slydogx

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 02:58 AM

Fox pee
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 03:03 AM

CARP
Posted By: Calvin

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 06:40 AM

A lot of times this time of year, you will get coon that just aren't going to take bait. Seems some have just fed up enough they are not interested.

Last year I set some baited boxes around an old barn I knew had coon In it. Different baits for variety. Caught a couple coon but knew there were more there (seen this before running DPs). Kept the traps there into deep winter. Came back in the spring and re baited the sets (coon respond very well to bait in the spring) as they had to go from the barn. 11 coon promptly showed up in those boxes. Scraping spring coon is a isn't much fun if the fur salvageable at all.

Blind sets in the fall shine when this happens. Many guys would be surprised at how many coon walk past their baited sets a fall progresses.

Yes a lot of nice coon show up in well constructed coyote sets every fall. Usually with Skunky/ urine based coyote lures/baits. There ya go.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat95
Weather is turning real cold here in SD/ND just wondering what the best coon bait is for coons when it gets cold.
Currently using cat/dog food for dp bait with fish oil or vanilla but coons are walking right past them.

I am really fond of blind sets anymore for the coons as others have pointed out. Have you thought of trying something other than the dogproofs? I've found that no matter what bait I use a good percentage will cruise right by a DP without a second thought the tracks have shown me that time and time again. I've found if you want to get into those big boars you can't really go wrong with fox or coyote gland. I even seem to pick up some coyotes/fox every year in 1.5's barely blended with grass that forget they aren't a coon.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 11:07 AM

Agree wade. Couple years ago late season and bitter cold, could not get coon to work any baited sets and didnt natter if they were DPs, dirtholes with footholds, cages, whatever. I knew they were out because I would see them in the truck headlights when I would pull into farms and they would run off. Frustrating.
I started running 160s in tight spots on trails.and that saved my butt, nailed some massive boars with just simple blind sets. A variety of sets is important.
Jim
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
CARP

Best response yet. Coon are looking to put on fat. Greasy fish is the best for that. I use it all season long. LLL
Posted By: EdP

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 12:59 PM

You can buy canned mackerel and mash it up. Makes a nice greasy fish paste with a strong odor.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 10:35 PM

Peanut butter, marshmallow and vanilla mixed together. A smear of gland lure nearby and you’re set. It’ll they’re cruising, you’ll catch them.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 10:46 PM

When it gets cold out I put out coni boxes (with pans) and screen backs). I use big hunks of beaver, hind quarter, head etc I put in big Ziploc and add slat and shake it up so they don't freeze up and stay bloody, some shellfish oil to draw them in is good too.

Mike
Posted By: Antelope Montana

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 10:49 PM

Ive caught many on pizza.
Truth.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: what is the best cold weather coon bait - 11/12/19 11:59 PM

How cold does it get in W.V.? LLL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums