Home

Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer

Posted By: Trapper Dan 57

Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 09:17 PM

Just wondering how many folks remember Ned and Edna Stark that had a fur buying business just outside Eldred PA ? I sold my first furs to them fifty years ago when I was twelve. Ned paid probably three times what they were worth and he ended up becoming like a Grandfather to me.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 09:21 PM

family still buys root but i don't think fur at all.used to be a half dozen in the area and now there are none.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 09:25 PM

Did you ever sell to him pcr2 ?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 09:28 PM

Ned Stark was also a character on Game of Thrones.

Keith

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 09:28 PM

deer hides but not fur.kinda always worked for the competition.some ginseng also.his tradin post was about 20 min from here.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 10:12 PM

I worked for Ned after I got my drivers license. We were paid per animal put up. Great memories!

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 10:14 PM

i worked for Vic Taylor then Larry Coole.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 10:17 PM

I sold once to Mr. Taylor after Ned passed away.
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 10:22 PM

That's my stomping grounds, Eldred, PA. Didn't trap back then but pretty sure i know who you're talking about.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/15/19 10:34 PM

Ned had a distinctly deep rough voice due to getting punched in his vocal cords while reffing a boxing match.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 02:38 AM

I started selling muskrats and coon to him in 1972, I was 12 years old. I think he bought my furs just to keep me encouraged to stay trapping, looking back I know they were not worth a penny the way I was skinning and putting them up. He was a good man for that. All of us who trapped in high school sold our fur to him, he'd come right to our house. I went to his fur shed to sell the first beavers I trapped, well worth the trip to his place. I think it was in Turtle Point, about half way between Port Alleghany and Eldred. I grew up in Emporium, by the way, and the trapper who got most of us young guys trapping was a fella named Lamont Close, anyone remember him. We used to order traps through him. Those days are some of my best memories and those people helped influence, to some degree, the man I am today.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bass1
I grew up in Emporium, by the way, and the trapper who got most of us young guys trapping was a fella named Lamont Close, anyone remember him. We used to order traps through him. .

I wonder if he is any relation to the Close’s Lumber folks in Roulette?
Posted By: jp1967

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 04:38 AM

Yep I sold my first furs to him when I was 12 or 13 . He was in Turtlepoint Pa . I remember the hundreds of carcasses outside his fur shed laying everywhere.
Posted By: John Houben

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 12:14 PM

Ned Stark and Lamont Close. Two names that warm my heart to hear. My Grandpa's farm was on West Eldred Road and I grew up trapping the Allegheny river flats and selling fur to Ned. I can still hear his raspy voice saying, "Boy John, it looks like you got a nice bunch of foxes there." I too was taught fur handling by Ned and in the beginning he paid me for fur that I am sure was worthless. My Dad and I often joke about Ned's chickens dragging coon carcasses around and a pan of beans cooking on the wood stove just a few feet from the fleshing beams. Monte Close attended the church that my Dad pastored in Emporium. A great fox trapper for sure from the "classic days" of Pennsylvania fox trapping. I knew Monte's nephew better and often attended summer church camp with him in Kane.

There was more romance, excitement, and mystery at that point in trapping. The kids and others starting out in trapping today, in this high tech era, are missing out on much of these intangible, deeply satisfying aspects of trapping.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 12:24 PM

"There was more romance, excitement, and mystery at that point in trapping. The kids and others starting out in trapping today, in this high tech era, are missing out on much of these intangible, deeply satisfying aspects of trapping."

Amen

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by John Houben
Ned Stark and Lamont Close. Two names that warm my heart to hear. My Grandpa's farm was on West Eldred Road and I grew up trapping the Allegheny river flats and selling fur to Ned. I can still hear his raspy voice saying, "Boy John, it looks like you got a nice bunch of foxes there." I too was taught fur handling by Ned and in the beginning he paid me for fur that I am sure was worthless. My Dad and I often joke about Ned's chickens dragging coon carcasses around and a pan of beans cooking on the wood stove just a few feet from the fleshing beams. Monte Close attended the church that my Dad pastored in Emporium. A great fox trapper for sure from the "classic days" of Pennsylvania fox trapping. I knew Monte's nephew better and often attended summer church camp with him in Kane.

There was more romance, excitement, and mystery at that point in trapping. The kids and others starting out in trapping today, in this high tech era, are missing out on much of these intangible, deeply satisfying aspects of trapping.

X 1 million-was paid 5 cents a coon to comb at age 8.what was goin on around me was priceless at that age.43 yrs later i'm still workin for buyers.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/16/19 01:29 PM

Great read folks. Did not know those guys but did sell to Hovis in Port Allegheny.
77-78, Found him through PTA. Never saw him again. Was told he got some misfortune shortly afterwards.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/19/19 02:51 PM

The first time I sold to Ned was at his tavern between Portville and Olean called Nednas. I was greeted by Edna, Neds wife whom was as sweet of a person as they come. Ned was across the street at another tavern. Edna phoned the tavern where Ned was and ask to speak with Ned. When he got on the phone she said, Hello sweetie, there is a young boy here to sell you his furs and then she said I love you sweetie and hung up. She offered me a soda and I waited. About 15 minutes goes bye and she phones the neighbors tavern again asking to speak with Ned. Again the conversation went the same, " Hello sweetie don't forget there is a young boy here wanting to sell you his furs and she ended with I love you sweetie. Another ten minutes goes bye and Edna calls again asking to speak with Ned only this time the conversation was, Ned get over here now and buy this boys furs! She ended again with I love you sweetie. Within a minute the door burst open and in steps Ned. Ned gives Edna a little kiss and they tell each other I love you.He then approaches and towers over me apologizing in his deep raspy voice for taking so long. I'll never forget how I felt as though I was floating a few feet off the floor as he spoke to me exclaiming I had some beautiful furs. He offered some suggestions on how to handle my next batch and paid me far more than they were worth. Over 50 years later I am still at it thanks to Ned ! Happy Thanksgiving and an upcoming blessed Christmas
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/19/19 10:18 PM

John Houben said it all. I consider myself fortunate to have lived those days when fur buyers would come to your house to buy your furs. I never met the gentleman of whom you speak, I live a long, long way from Eldred, not far from the Vermont border. I do pass through Eldred from time to time. A great restaurant just north of there in Portville; Spragues, and a must stop north of there at Cuba cheese.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/19/19 11:01 PM

If you leave Spragues hungry you did something wrong.
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/19/19 11:32 PM

I also sold fur to Ned. He was a very good man

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/19/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
John Houben said it all. I consider myself fortunate to have lived those days when fur buyers would come to your house to buy your furs. I never met the gentleman of whom you speak, I live a long, long way from Eldred, not far from the Vermont border. I do pass through Eldred from time to time. A great restaurant just north of there in Portville; Spragues, and a must stop north of there at Cuba cheese.

When interviewing prospective members at my camp me and the other members have a code. After we talk to the new guy a while someone will suggest we go out to dinner. Those who like the new guy will suggest Sprague's Maple Farms and those that don't will suggest Dave's Diner. It's how we take an unofficial vote.

Did you know Sprague's serves their hot apple pie with a slice of Cuba cheddar?

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 11/27/19 09:29 PM

Great remembrances for me. Cuba cheese, extra sharp cheddar with a tall glass of cold milk growing up was always a tasty treat indeed. I still will order from Cuba Cheese around the holidays. A trip to Sprague's is sure to please even the pickiest taste bud.
Here is to Ned and Edna Stark, a breed all of their own.
Posted By: Jon Stark

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 05/12/21 07:46 PM

Ole Uncle Ned, he lived his dream. I still have some of his mementos he gave me years ago. The fur shack still stands today .
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 05/12/21 09:41 PM

Welcome to trapperman Jon. Great reading this older thread. Buddy of mine has always had a cabin i n Turtle point. Never met your Uncle but used to go to Busty Hearts place when we were down there lol. An old fur shack like your uncle's is becoming a thing of the past, sorry to say.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 05/12/21 10:30 PM

this thread is excellent! thanks guys
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 05/12/21 10:39 PM

Too bad we older trappers take these memories with us. Pity the kid wanna-be-trappers.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/09/22 12:42 PM

Ned was an outstanding individual. An honest fur and ginseng buyer who always gave the best price he could. He once told me if he had to choose between trapping or digging ginseng, he'd choose digging ginseng. His wife Edna, God bless her soul was a distant relative of my wife's. Ned was a big man with a big heart. I stopped by one day to visit him when he was very sick and he passed away that next day. I was deeply saddened by passing. It was like the end of an era.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/09/22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
"There was more romance, excitement, and mystery at that point in trapping. The kids and others starting out in trapping today, in this high tech era, are missing out on much of these intangible, deeply satisfying aspects of trapping."

Amen

That needs repeated.

We've all heard "Take a kid along".
Well how bout hey noobs, "Take an old fart along".
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/09/22 01:19 PM

I remember Ned and the fur shed. Was the first place I took any fur I happened to catch as a kid. He was always very nice and took the time to tell us what we did right or wrong. And he never failed to give us something even if we did it very wrong!!
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/09/22 04:35 PM

Great conversation about the olden days gone by ! Any one have any pics? Sounds alot like my friend Earl Cain from here in MN. Taught me ALOT about trapping and fur handling.

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/12/22 10:58 PM

Just scrolling through posts and found recent activity regarding Ned and Edna. I started working for Ned in his PA Fur Shed when I was about 17. I was paid per pelt properly put up. I took my time to do a good job for a man that was bigger than life and indeed a hero figure to me. He had a very deep voice from receiving a blow to his larynx while refereeing a boxing match. He was, at one time a boxer himself to be reckoned with. I have a story I wrote about my first encounter with Ned in his Tavern between Portville and Olean NY. I was 12 years old and felt like I started floating in the air when he started talking to me. One time while working coons in his PA Fur Shed , a group of folks arrived from deep in the PA hills, to sell Ned their fur. They brought Ned a gift of pure moonshine and started pouring all of us a healthy taste. I started to protest my taste, for fear of ruining pelts I was working on. Ned immediately gave me a serious look and a nod to accept the drink. I graciously accepted their kindness, and with all watching on, partook of what I thought would be a mellow taste of Pennsylvania's finest. Well---- Fire burst forth from my eyes, nose, ears and openings I never knew existed on me!!!! Everyone burst out in laughter, while looks of approval met my quite watery red eyes. I scabbard my knife and sat quietly by the woodstove for the remainder of the evening. Only the tip of the iceberg of memories I have of Ned and Edna!!!

Re: Ned Stark Eldred PA Fur Buyer - 01/12/22 11:28 PM

Excellent!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums