Home

how do collect urine from dead coyotes?

Posted By: Kart29

how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 12:59 PM

I hear tell that some folks collect urine from the bladder of dead coyotes after they are skun. I've opened the abdominal cavity on about three of the past coyotes I've finished skinning and I'll be darned if I can find a bladder anywhere. I can find kidneys and the alimentary canal, but I can't seem to find the bladder. Doesn't seem like it should be that hard to find or identify.

Anyone have any tips on how to find a coyote bladder?
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 01:19 PM

This is a bobcat but same principal, if the bladder has urine in it you should find it. sometimes it down in the pelvis when they are about empty.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 01:40 PM

Most coyotes I trap their bladders are pretty much empty, but coyotes that are shot while hunting will have enough to collect most of the time. Cats usually have some when trapped. Empty bladders are worth collecting for use also. Took me awhile to figure out what the bladders look like empty. Wish I had a pic of an empty one to show you.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 01:41 PM

When empty, like 99% of coyotes are, it will be smaller than a smashed down ping pong ball. its an off white color, looks thick and wrinkley. It is so rare to get pee out of a trapped coyote I don't even bother to look anymore.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 01:47 PM

Probably aren't looking deep enough into the pelvis. My problem is the bladders are rarely full. When they are full you can milk them by pressing on the pelvis area and hold a container near the appropriate orifice if it's a coyote you aren't going to skin due to mange or other issues.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
When empty, like 99% of coyotes are, it will be smaller than a smashed down ping pong ball. its an off white color, looks thick and wrinkley. It is so rare to get pee out of a trapped coyote I don't even bother to look anymore.

Okay, I think I may have found it then. I definitely found something that was probably a little smaller than a golf ball and thick and wrinkley, like you said. Due to the small size and lack of urine in it I think I figured that must have been a uterus or some weird gland or something. I'm probably finding the bladder, but it's just smaller and emptier than I was expecting to find.
Posted By: Boco

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 02:17 PM

I collect urine from canines that are snared.
Posted By: k snow

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 02:20 PM

I once shot a coyote and being young and inexperienced, I went to put in across my shoulders to carry it out. Apparently that puts the correct pressure on the pelvis and the bladder emptied, from my shoulder to my ankle. I stunk for days. My wife threw out that shirt and pants.
Posted By: charles

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 02:56 PM

If you have a male, blow through his private parts and the bladder should inflate.
Posted By: Coulter

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 03:00 PM

The same as you siphon gas - get yourself a hose and start sucking.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by charles
If you have a male, blow through his private parts and the bladder should inflate.

That would really help me find it for sure. Do you think I need compressed air or would I be able to blow hard enough with just my lungs?
Posted By: Boco

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 04:40 PM

You need to demo that at the NTA,people would pay to see you do that.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Coulter
The same as you siphon gas - get yourself a hose and start sucking.

Do you think I need to siphon it into a blue bucket?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by charles

It works much better is you use a pig castrator first. grin

Keith
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 08:22 PM

Like Yes Sir and Danny both said trapped coyotes are almost always bone dry. But rifle shot or shotgunned coyotes can be a very abundant source of urine. I get most of my urine from callers not trappers.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/19/19 08:30 PM

If you are going that far then cut the bladder out and toss it in a jar with the rest of the glands you should be saving. Let it set for a year or 2 then add some glycerine band mix. There you have some real gland lure. FREE . I must warn you not to open the jar in your house. It will smell worse than any dog far you may have ever smelled.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/20/19 02:51 PM

Here is what an empty bladder looks like. This is from a big male red fox.

[Linked Image]

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/20/19 04:43 PM

Thanks, lugnut. That's exactly what I was finding but assumed it must be something other than a bladder. I was expecting to see something more like the cat bladder in monstertom's picture. Apparently that's not what a bladder looks like in a trapped canine.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 11/20/19 05:16 PM

The picture in MonsterTom’s post is exactly what canine bladders look like when they’re full Kart. Make sure you make your opening cut very shallow. It is very easy to cut into a full bladder like the one pictured. They press up against the thin abdominal muscles when they’re full. I always insert the point of my knife and sliced up towards the pelvis with the blade toward the outside.
Posted By: Hunt/trap

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 05:04 PM

I am about to try and find the bladder on a wolf carcass. Any tips?
I was thinking of opening below the ribcage and then slicing toward the tail.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 05:08 PM

If you use a gravy baster for collection, make sure you label it, or you will be in for big surprises come Thanksgiving time.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 05:11 PM

Sometimes you can put pressure on lower abdomen and cause it to exit. Or just open it just avove the hips
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hunt/trap
I am about to try and find the bladder on a wolf carcass. Any tips?
I was thinking of opening below the ribcage and then slicing toward the tail.

Unless you want to gut it I'd make a 3 inch cut right in front of the pelvis. Less mess than dealing with all the guts

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 06:44 PM

Ok. Usually I leave all my trapping supplies out of the house and my kitchen supplies
in the house, although once I used my best strainer to find our what a coyote was eating...clearly now
that is an 'outside' strainer.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 06:44 PM

Ok, thank you!

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 06:45 PM

Great ideas and tips, thank you!
I was thinking of searching the guts and such for glands to use with my traps along with
the urine if I can get any out, since we can bait here now in addition to using lures.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 06:50 PM

Outside the stomach itself, there isnt much in the guts to use in lure making except as filler like the liver.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 07:04 PM

Years back I had a guy wanting raccoon urine so I'd open the thin belly meat between the legs and if there was a bladder with much pee I'd hold it out over a funnel that was attached to a hose that ran down to a gallon jug on the floor, then just cut a hole in the bladder and let it run into the jug. The funnel had a hole to hang it up right behind the skinning machine, very handy.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 07:08 PM

Hmm. Liver. Anyone ever hear of using paws as baits, in addition to lures?
I have a small plastic funnel that I use when collecting wolf urine from the snow. This is out in the field,
so I will improvise with my funnel, urine collecting jar and plastic bags.
Posted By: adam m

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 08:20 PM

It's really easy to collect.
The red line is where I cut while pinching below the cut. I empty it in a jar.
I added a red line to the pic monster Tom's posted to show The cut area.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: adam m

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hunt/trap
Hmm. Liver. Anyone ever hear of using paws as baits, in addition to lures?
I have a small plastic funnel that I use when collecting wolf urine from the snow. This is out in the field,
so I will improvise with my funnel, urine collecting jar and plastic bags.

Yes there's several great threads on it (gland collecting) in the archives.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 08:44 PM

Here is a link to a urine collection pictorial I made with my daughter thirteen years ago. I found it in the Lures, Baits and Urine Archive

Collecting Urine Pictorial
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Here is a link to a urine collection pictorial I made with my daughter thirteen years ago. I found it in the Lures, Baits and Urine Archive

Pics aren't showing up on it for me.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

No pics here either. Must not be the Browser.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:20 PM

Don't expect much if any urine from coyotes. At least not the ones I have caught. Fox and Cats I get quite a nice collection of urine from them on average.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

they are photobucket pics. won't show for anyone.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:49 PM

Yeah, their photo bucket pics. They show up for me but I guess that’s it.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 10:55 PM

Dang Photobucket and their stupid policies!

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 11:46 PM

Lug, I fixed it so everyone can see them now. They still have a photobucket logo on them but they are no longer hosted there.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/13/22 11:55 PM

Save the urine and toss the bladder in your gland bucket.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/14/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
If you use a gravy baster for collection, make sure you label it, or you will be in for big surprises come Thanksgiving time.

Pete why do you have 4 turkey basters ?

one for brake fluid

one for antifreeze

lets just say trust no turky baster in this house with food , we use a nesco roaster for turkey

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/14/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Lug, I fixed it so everyone can see them now. They still have a photobucket logo on them but they are no longer hosted there.

Thank you ADC.

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/14/22 01:37 AM

Thank you! I have a hard time switching between threads, posts, archives, etc.
And this was ultimately for collecting urine from a wolf carcass, but the only subject
I could find was about the coyotes, so here I am. smile

Re: how do collect urine from dead coyotes? - 01/14/22 01:52 AM

Hello, I clicked and opened the pics and saw them as clear as a bell. - Great shots, and love the empty bladder pic, too.
I always take note of gut placement and such while field dressing big game, but then intentionally wanting an intact
piece from a smaller game gave me pause! Thank you!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums