Home

Beaver felling trees question

Posted By: adam m

Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 03:37 AM

I admit I lack knowledge on beaver felling trees but I'm curious so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Google was no help. This has been racking my brain.

The beavers at my camp site started their initial cuts on several trees away from the stream. 1 tree was already felled and the base was towards the stream but the top was hung up on other trees and branches. I did get it unstuck for the beavers. The trees were maybe 15- 30 yards away (depending on the tree) from their (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). Is it common for beavers to fell trees opposite of the stream and (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)?
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 03:43 AM

I don't think they have any control over where the tree goes. They just chew and it goes where it wants.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 03:45 AM

Beavers have no way to make the tree fall in a certain direction.Where a large colony is cutting bigger trees they look like a spilled box of matchsticks.They will fall whichever way they lean.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 04:00 AM

I believe they try, but its pretty uncertain which way the tree ends up falling...sometimes even on the Beaver itself.
Posted By: white17

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 04:10 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 04:31 AM

grin
Posted By: Posco

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Beavers have no way to make the tree fall in a certain direction.Where a large colony is cutting bigger trees they look like a spilled box of matchsticks.They will fall whichever way they lean.

[Linked Image]

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 04:57 AM

Boco and 330 that is what I was thinking. I found it intriguing that all the trees had their initial cuts opposite of the stream.

lol White.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
lol White.

It's a Stratabeverius. They bring big money.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 05:52 AM

I have seen what looked like 5 or 6 wooden bowling balls on the ground where a beaver, with no quit in it, kept trying to drop a tree which was never going to fall.
I felt sad for it for a while.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 06:44 AM

I've seen huge trees that was just ringed and would die letting sunlight in, so the willow and ash sprouts would shoot right up, making for some tender eats.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I've seen huge trees that was just ringed and would die letting sunlight in, so the willow and ash sprouts would shoot right up, making for some tender eats.

That's an interesting observation and thought. Surely they can't think that far ahead, but interesting.

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 11:02 PM

Interesting
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 11:15 PM

Ever notice where the beaver pass up 5- 10 similar trees to cut a particular tree? I tend to think they do this so later in the year when the conditions are worse they can get to those trees easier.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/20/19 11:40 PM

Quit giving credit for brains where credit isn't due. Beaver are hard wired to chew, they haven't the ability to explain why.

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/21/19 12:17 AM

I've never seen any diplomas hanging on a beaver dam, but I've seen a few PhD's hanging on walls that makes one wonder.

You don't have to tell a goose to go south in winter they just do it.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/21/19 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Quit giving credit for brains where credit isn't due. Beaver are hard wired to chew, they haven't the ability to explain why.

I agree 100%. There is no plan other than chew what can be chewed and drag to the water what can be dragged to the water.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/21/19 01:20 AM

I've never seen any diplomas hanging on a beaver dam, but I've seen a few PhD's hanging on walls that makes one wonder.

You don't have to tell a goose to go south in winter they just do it.

Well if you saw a diploma on most beaver dams, you'd wonder too. They put a lot of dams in stupid spots.

Re: Beaver felling trees question - 11/21/19 02:42 AM

The call of nature is something indeed. A baby pig pops out and as soon as he gets his face cleaned off he is looking for something to suck on. Its not experience or any thing learned, cause he ain't never done it before. It has nothing to do with a thought process. Bees don't know they are carrying pollen to any certain plant they just gather nectar, the fact they pollinate is a step already planned out in a design.

In the morning the black birds fly to east toward the sun and in the evening they go to the setting sun. In cool weather I notice a lot of turtles crawling toward the warmth of the sun.
If one wants to think of intelligence then spend a little time on bacteria and bio films. Apparently we aren't the only farmers.
If one thinks cancer is smart and intelligent then so be it, I just wish someone could be smarter than it!

Kinda far from the whack a tree down but seems relative to me at least.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums