Home

First fisher

Posted By: tlguy

First fisher - 11/24/19 12:27 AM

Drew my 2nd fisher tag this year and decided to give it a real go. So I bought some Duke 160s this summer and built some crude cubbies Thursday morning before heading to deer camp. Got my 6 sets in Thursday, 4 near waterways and 2 along swamp edges. Bait included muskrat pieces and beaver chunks I got from a friend of mine.

The set that connected had a beaver head and lured with Gusto along a swamp edge among some big pines. I had planned to put a camera over the set, but all the trees were too big for the camera strap. The fisher I caught is a big male. Now I've got to decide if I have it tanned to hang proudly on the wall or get a hat made like the one the Jimmer wears in Escanaba in da Moonlight. If I remember right, the guy who made that hat is a user here.

Thanks to all who posted advice on here. I only get to trap fisher ever few years, and this was the first time I was successful. I'm sure that's because of what I learned on that site. Also some luck I'm sure.

[Linked Image]

I've got a better picture of me with the fisher, but don't have enough of a signal to get it to load.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:31 AM

Nice !
Posted By: Osky

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:32 AM

Congratulations. Looks like a well furred animal, sharp.

Osky
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:35 AM

Being from the South I have no idea what that is, can you compare the size to say a coon or bobcat, or something we have down here? He looks like a bad dude and would make a great mount or tanned hide. Congrats on a sweet catch!
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:41 AM

Way to go!! Forget the hat, Mount it!
Posted By: Boco

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:46 AM

Nice fisher,congrats.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:47 AM

Nice! I've caught 3 between this year and last but had to let them all go. Hoping to get one or two in season this year! I vote for making him into a hat.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:50 AM

Nice ! Always a thrill to catch one.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:54 AM

Neat.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:03 AM

You never forget your first.

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:06 AM

If it’s a good size male ...
Make a Mountain man hat. One pelt will get it done. I have one for ice fishing....love it
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:09 AM

I had a Nice fisher hat back in the early 80's. Id say get the hat made!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Posted By: Osky

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Being from the South I have no idea what that is, can you compare the size to say a coon or bobcat, or something we have down here? He looks like a bad dude and would make a great mount or tanned hide. Congrats on a sweet catch!

They are terrific and fearless killers. Coon size maybe but in much slimmer shape.

Osky

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:14 AM

Not sure what's considered a big fisher. He seems good-sized to me. I wish I had a scale to weigh him. I'm leaning towards having another hat made, though I have a couple red fox I was planning to have a hat made from as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:20 AM

Looks like a big one.
Skin it for taxi,get it tanned,hang it on the wall for a year or so,then when you get tired of looking at it,get it made into a nice hat with the face,feet and tail on it.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:30 AM

Good job.!!!

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:30 AM

Any good resources for skinning instructions? Obviously I've never done one. Any different than a regular case skinning other than taking it all the way down to the last toe joint instead of lopping off the feet? Do the ears need to be turned or cartilage removed?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It's very much appreciated.

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:35 AM

When skinning leave the bones in the feet till later.The back of the earskin only need to be separated from the cartilage,it doesn't need to be removed altogether.They will dry fine turned like that.
You can skin out the feet before boarding.Easier to skin out a fishers foot than a fox-the skin is a lot tougher.

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:48 AM

Congrats.thats a nice looking Fisher.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:51 AM

Nice job! Congratulations, that's a really nice one!
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:52 AM

Nice job!
Posted By: wheelers

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 02:12 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 02:52 AM

Nice big fisher but looks like the tail is a bit shy of full length?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 11:24 AM

way to go , leave the feet skin out if you are going to have it tan
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 12:41 PM

Very nice Fisher, Congratulations!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:06 PM

Good job, wish we had them here.
Posted By: keets

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 01:22 PM

nice work of that! ..
Posted By: BW55

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 02:58 PM

That's a giant ! Congratulations! Hopefully we here in PA can someday use conibears at poles or out of waterway cubbies
Posted By: Northof50

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
When skinning leave the bones in the feet till later.The back of the earskin only need to be separated from the cartilage,it doesn't need to be removed altogether.They will dry fine turned like that.
You can skin out the feet before boarding.Easier to skin out a fishers foot than a fox-the skin is a lot tougher.

Good advise from Boco. hope you follow it.
Posted By: Goonie

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 08:57 PM

Nice going. Mount it.

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 09:04 PM

Getting it mounted is out of my budget.

I did put it on our deer scale at camp and it weighed in at 9 or 10 pounds. They sure are a cool animal.
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: First fisher - 11/24/19 11:49 PM

Nice catch. They are a favorite of mine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums