Home

Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated...

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:49 AM

... to to the eastern United States. Another just wondering question.
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:52 AM

They don't know how to swim across a big river like the Mississippi?

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:53 AM

They only like to hang around real cowboys?

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:54 AM

They're more conservative vs liberal

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:55 AM

That should be reason enough
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Catcollector
They're more conservative vs liberal

There must be none in Kalifornia then????
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:02 AM

They saw one near Fairbanks.

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:06 AM

Those are the transmulies those don't count as true mulies in a sense?

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:11 AM

The reason there aren't any in MN is because of reciprocity
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:39 AM

Actually a decent mulie buck was recently shot in western MN. Very few get as far as eastern South Dakota though.

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:48 AM

Reciprocity will get ya shot onsite! Musta thought he was a freegrazer?
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 05:45 AM

Those are the transmulies those don't count as true mulies in a sense?

Are transmulies from Portland? I know they have reciprocity in that town.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 10:23 AM

Wife shot mule deer doe 20 years ago in southwest man We have seen both mule deer bucks and doe in our area the last couple of years
Posted By: Osky

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 11:46 AM

Around 67 there was a mule deer doe shot near Princeton MN.
They do not like being around whitetails I think, which are the rats of the deer family.

Osky
Posted By: EdP

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 12:45 PM

It's all about the environment they need of course. Mule deer run uphill when threatened. They can't cross the great plains because there are not any hills, so they are stuck in the west.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 01:51 PM

I do not know about mule deer but pronghorns cannot survive the humidity in the east, they die within a month of pneumonia. Mountain sheep do not survive in the east for the same reason. Many eastern zoos have learned this the hard way.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 01:59 PM

off topic but fun to watch anyway.

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 02:02 PM

I sure wish they'd displace the Whitetail instead of the other way around.

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I think the moose and woodland caribou that were native in Minnesota until a 125 years ago or so would heartily agree 330.

Osky

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 02:16 PM

Yeah unfortunately most western highly populated areas have many transmulies… Funny where I'm at are neither whitetail or mulies rather blacktails, they're a different sort... they really seem to enjoy the rain!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 02:34 PM

I believe it was a 1936 Mn. Hunting regs. (3 small pages) I was shown by an Old timer neighboe. IT said this year It is illegal to take Antelope or Caribou in Mn.

So we had those back when. In what numbers, thats the question. No mention of Muleys.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 02:43 PM

The reason there aren't any in MN is because of reciprocity

One was just shot by Wadena this past season and that is in the central part of the state.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:28 PM

I once read that the ancestor of the whitetail was the first deer to cross into NA from Asia. It spread across the continent but populations became separated due to a subsequent ice age. The separate populations mutated into the blacktail and the whitetail. When the ice retreated the whitetail spread back westward, crossbred with the blacktail, and produced the mule deer. I have not been able to find this account again and suspect it is just one theory of how north American deer species came to be what they are today.

One interesting characteristic about the mule deer that I just read is that body size does not vary with environment to any significant degree. This is clearly not the case for whitetail as they follow Bergman's rule, which states that "within a broadly distributed taxonomic clade, populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments, and species of smaller size are found in warmer regions." It suggests to me that whitetail are more adaptable than mule deer and therefore more likely to spread into new and different environments.

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 03:32 PM

Hi 330 a great resource and just all around great guy in MN is Blaine Klemek he works as a biologist for the DNR he is passionate about deer and really any critter he came out to my place I had a 40 acres and he did a story on dark eyed cuckoos for the paper as I had a cuckoo bird nest? I'm like what is that, now I know pretty cool bird really rarely seen but often heard... If anybody knows the ways or wanders and ancestry of MN wildlife it's him... Last I knew he worked the office over by White Earth... If you do, tell him trapper Brad says hi...
Posted By: waggler

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:03 PM

All the theories as to North American deer origin are subject to change as new DNA evidence is discovered. But, a DNA study I read not too many years ago concluded that the blacktail deer was the original deer in on this continent. Then as the ice sheet came down from the north it resulted in the blacktails of the west coast being separated from their kin to the east which then developed into whitetail and mule deer. I don't recall how the whitetail and mule deer split, but I'm sure it addressed that subject.

Even where you find both whitetail and mule deer in the west in the same general area, they are usually divided by topography. The whitetail being found in the valley bottoms, and the mule deer in the hills.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:15 PM

If I was going to hunt mulish in Wyo. I'd be looking at that migration route in the video!
mt
Posted By: 160user

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I think the moose and woodland caribou that were native in Minnesota until a 125 years ago or so would heartily agree 330.

Osky

I saw and photographed 3 caribou in MN near lake Bronson in April of 2000 so they haven't been completely gone for that long. These were more than likely out of Canada and probably didn't stick around long.

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 05:48 PM

Minnesota had plenty of caribou and very few whitetail north of basically I 94. This was not bush country but big timber country and caribou ate base tree lichen and those types of foods. The many ponds and lakes held moose.
It all changed with the log off by the railroad barons. The whitetail moved north with the change to bush and brought disease as well. We also had a lot of elk native to MN before the whites.
The MN SCi chapter tried bringing caribou back in MN around 75. 28 head all died in short order from a disease carried by white tails. No one knew this would happen back then.
MN historical society and museum has some early pictures of the prairies which are now the western suburbs of Minneapolis with large herds of elk to be seen. There were no trees to the west then, just grass except along the natural flowing waterways. Explains the great waterfowl migrations that used to be thru MN as well
But now no more.

Osky

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/26/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
... to to the eastern United States. Another just wondering question.

Then again, maybe they just don’t have the brains god gave geese?

Osky

Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/27/19 03:25 AM

Whenever they try to move east, the white-tailed deer shame them endlessly for the prissy way that they hop like a girl when they run, and they slink back from whence they came.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Why haven’t mule deer ever migrated... - 11/27/19 04:12 AM

After WW1 the mule deer were shot out of Manitoba with their behaviour of looking back at the top of the hill.....anyone who served and survived WW!; knew where to shoot those 303 British guns

160user there was a movement of woodland caribou that year and it is only 100 miles from their native range THEN. They are around Black Lake Nopiming Prov. Park now 51 latitude straight north.

There is a large population in SW Manitoba now and we cant hunt them....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums