Home

Should I be worried ?

Posted By: kyron4

Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:23 AM

Just got done skinning a coon and while making a cut across the neck the hide pulled/jerked from being under tension from the skinning machine and I felt a light "spritz" hit my face and on my lips and maybe in my mouth. Didn't see any blood spec on me, could have been liquid fat or whatever. I rinsed real good with water then mouth wash. Again just a light mist if you will, But I felt it. Should I be worried ? The coon had been dead and hanging for 12 hours. -Thanks
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:50 AM

I think you've got a better chance of walking out in the street and getting hit by a bus then having an issue but there's always a chance. I think I'd sleep just fine.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:51 AM

Personally I wouldn't worry about it if the animal appeared healthy prior to it's unfortunate death.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:53 AM

No worries, It's happened to me plenty and look how normal I am. grin
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:56 AM

I wouldn’t worry unless you have a sudden urge to go through the neighbors garbage cans, start hanging out with a moose, or want to change your “handle” to Rocky.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:57 AM

If you start getting sleepy tonight that could be a sign!!! whistle

Chris
Posted By: Boco

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:58 AM

Take a big slug of shine.Every trapper should keep a jug of shine in the skinning room for just such emergencies.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:59 AM

I would dive into a pool filled with bleach! Not really, you will be fine!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:42 AM

Like a Nurse told me.... It's 50/50 you're gonna die.

You should be fine!
Posted By: Bob

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:46 AM

It’s happened to me more times than I care to remember, blood, eye juice, general body fluids lol. Stress from worrying about it is probably more likely to kill you than a little coon juice.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:47 AM

Ask Alaskan about what flew into his mouth when skinning a green-belly wolf quite a few years ago.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by kyron4
Just got done skinning a coon and while making a cut across the neck the hide pulled/jerked from being under tension from the skinning machine and I felt a light "spritz" hit my face and on my lips and maybe in my mouth. Didn't see any blood spec on me, could have been liquid fat or whatever. I rinsed real good with water then mouth wash. Again just a light mist if you will, But I felt it. Should I be worried ? The coon had been dead and hanging for 12 hours. -Thanks

It just ruined your lipstick. No big deal!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by kyron4

It just ruined your lipstick. No big deal!

Jurassic; They don't have Health Care like we do in Canada.....so" Houston We Have a Problem."
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 10:06 AM

The good news is, you are about to have a disease named after you.

Seriously though, if Spiderman got bit by a spider, and Batman became Batman because of bats....all I am saying is you might develop some cool superpowers, however it's unfortunate that the handle "coonman" is already taken here on tman.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 10:12 AM

Open all your coon lures and baits, start smelling them one by one in front of a mirror, should tell you something....Sometimes my dog eats something bad, she licks her backside to get the taste out of her mouth.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 10:22 AM

If that's the worst thing that happens while your skinning critters your very lucky.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 10:51 AM

Was skinning a coon with a big abscess on its neck that I didn't know was there. The machine was pulling it, dang if I didn't have my mouth hanging open at that moment. Yep, coon puss all over my face, in my mouth, on me everywhere! Stuff happens! It wasn't in my mouth long enough to taste, but I don't remember it tasting good! lol
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 11:13 AM

You win Lee LMAO. That may be about as nasty as anything I heard of. Been peed on pulling a hide a few times but that almost made me sick reading it
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 11:15 AM

been sprayed by it all,mink gland squirt about like lee's puss pocket was my worst.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 12:09 PM

Yep, Lee wins the award. Haha.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 12:15 PM

Google it.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 01:01 PM

Should always be worried but don’t stress it to much just keep an eye on yourself and monitor yourself your health

Been skinning things since I was a kid and back then I did not make much effort at proper clean up before or after and the only time I ever got sick was after nicking myself while dressing out a deer and then I almost died mostly because I ingored the symptoms and put off going to the doctor when I started feeling bad
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by nightlife
Should always be worried but don’t stress it to much just keep an eye on yourself and monitor yourself your health

Been skinning things since I was a kid and back then I did not make much effort at proper clean up before or after and the only time I ever got sick was after nicking myself while dressing out a deer and then I almost died mostly because I ingored the symptoms and put off going to the doctor when I started feeling bad

what was issue? bad infection?
Posted By: Finster

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
No worries, It's happened to me plenty and look how normal I am. grin

crazy Oh man...…. crazy
Posted By: MJM

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Was skinning a coon with a big abscess on its neck that I didn't know was there. The machine was pulling it, dang if I didn't have my mouth hanging open at that moment. Yep, coon puss all over my face, in my mouth, on me everywhere! Stuff happens! It wasn't in my mouth long enough to taste, but I don't remember it tasting good! lol

Lee did it kill you? OP needs to spit and move on.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 02:55 PM

I contracted Brucellosis which is rare in the US I guess and from what I have been told most of those that do get it work in the meat processing industry

The deer I caught it from was shot is southern Texas on land my cousins owned at the time and had no symptoms that might lead one to believe it was sick

sometimes you just roll craps

Brucellosis is most often found in cattle but I guess you can also find it in almost any animal including dogs and cats
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:29 PM

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by btomlin
I wouldn’t worry unless you have a sudden urge to go through the neighbors garbage cans, start hanging out with a moose, or want to change your “handle” to Rocky.

No worries, It's happened to me plenty and look how normal I am.  

If you start getting sleepy tonight that could be a sign!!!  

I do not care what you say, we got some extremely compassionate members on this forum and some pretty funny guys that hang out here.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 04:35 PM

Got a squirt of coyote blood in my eye once. It was on my mind a couple days.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/29/19 05:13 PM

short story,i fleshed for 20 plus yrs for other people-buyers and what not.Was fleshing a bunch of beaver that had been tumbled in coarse sawdust.ran to the local pub for lunch and noticed a big hunk of beaver saddle with sawdust chips dried on the top of my boot.picked it off and set it on my napkin for the bartender/cook to throw out.drunk p.o.s. from town thought he was being smart and grabbed it and wolfed it right down.looked at my buddy and i and said"don't pay for that jerky,i think its turned."
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy

Seriously though, if Spiderman got bit by a spider, and Batman became Batman because of bats....all I am saying is you might develop some cool superpowers, however it's unfortunate that the handle "coonman" is already taken here on tman.

That esplanes a lots.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 01:33 AM

I was fleshing a beaver and hit a pus pocket from an old bite. I had never realized that I fleshed with my mouth open until that moment.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 01:34 AM

That actually explains a lot Lee. grin

Mike
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mac

No worries, It's happened to me plenty and look how normal I am.  

If you start getting sleepy tonight that could be a sign!!!  

I do not care what you say, we got some extremely compassionate members on this forum and some pretty funny guys that hang out here.

You know where "sympathy" is located in the dictionary don't you Mac?

Mike
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler

I was fleshing a beaver and hit a pus pocket from an old bite. I had never realized that I fleshed with my mouth open until that moment.

I always called those beaver puss pockets, pistachio pudding. That and possum secretions! grin
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 02:19 PM

You do know Rocky was a squirrel, right? Lol
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Should I be worried ? - 11/30/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by wvmntnhick

You do know Rocky was a squirrel, right? Lol

Hahaha
Posted By: DWC

Re: Should I be worried ? - 12/05/19 02:46 AM

I just cut the bottom lip on a coon and felt stuff hit my bottom lip. I ran in the house like Bubba from Forrest Gump to the sink. Knew there was a recent thread on this very thing. Read everything for reassurance.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Should I be worried ? - 12/05/19 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
I just cut the bottom lip on a coon and felt stuff hit my bottom lip. I ran in the house like Bubba from Forrest Gump to the sink. Knew there was a recent thread on this very thing. Read everything for reassurance.

grin
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Should I be worried ? - 12/05/19 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
You win Lee LMAO. That may be about as nasty as anything I heard of. Been peed on pulling a hide a few times but that almost made me sick reading it

Yup! That one would max out my nasty scale as well! sick
© 2024 Trapperman Forums