Home

whats your favorite brush gun?

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:41 AM

My cousin has been a 243 user since the late 70s , shot piles of deer with the 243 , loves it's flat trajectory.

but as of late he thinks he is loosing deer in the swamp and other places to brush and grass , convinced that brush and tall grass are deflecting his bullets.

admittedly he does not miss often. this could be 66 years catching up with him or maybe the 243 really is deflecting off brush and costing him deer.

he is thinking a new gun , for this year he has resolved to take his slug gun (870 with rifled slug barrel running Hornady SST slugs) out when he heads to the swamp as shots are typically under 100 yards
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:46 AM

Winchester model 94 ..in 30-30....or of course big brother. 45-70
Posted By: waggler

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:46 AM

Just a thought don't shoot through tall grass and brush.
I wouldn't want to intentionally do that on a regular basis anyway.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:48 AM

Probably can't do any better than that 870 set up, except Remington Accutips preform much better with the same accuracy of the SST's. Those SSTs just didn't expand, poked little holes straight through like using FMJ ammo.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:50 AM

.303 British open sights.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

He should be choosing his Shots.

Famous Gun writer wrote a Great Article that became a Classic.
He made the case brush bullets were a fallacy.

Here's another.

There is no magic bullet when it comes to shooting through brush. If you do not have a clear shot, hold your fire.John Hafner
One of the pervading myths of shooting is that of the “brush-bucking” cartridge, or bullet, or whatever, that is supposed to cut through the briars and the brambles and the branches and go right to the target. Sorry, no, it doesn’t exist.

This was brought home a couple of days ago at deer camp where a friend of mine took a shot at a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) of a buck with a .30/06, 165-grain bullet, and missed clean. The buck was maybe 100 yards away, and the bullet clipped a branch about the diameter of an index finger and missed absolutely cold. Bullets are operating under such enormous force that any pressure put on them is going to deflect them. Weight, shape, and velocity don’t seem to matter much. If there’s something in the way, you’re going to miss.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

Many years ago, Colonel Charles Askins ran a deflection test and confirmed this. I believe he shot through a dried-up Christmas tree. Years later, Finn Aagaard tried the test and got the same result. John Wootters, shooting a .416 Taylor with round-nosed 400-grain bullets, had a slug deflected by a branch that cost him a very good buffalo.

Oddly, the most effective brush gun is one that shoots flat and has a scope on it that lets you see clearly what’s ahead of you. If you pay attention not only to the target, but what’s between you and the target, you stand a chance of connecting. Pick a hole in the brush and shoot through it. If you can’t find a hole, hold your fire.

Posted By: WTT03

Winchester 94 .30-30

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Probably can't do any better than that 870 set up, except Remington Accutips preform much better with the same accuracy of the SST's. Those SSTs just didn't expand. Poked a little holes straight through like using FMJ ammo.

I was thinking Winchester Dual bonds , the 20ga 260gr 2 3/4 worked very well for us on a good sized fork last season at about 70 yards from a 20ga.

the FXT do seems to work better when bone is hit , but a slug shouldn't need to hit bone to work.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:02 AM

IMO, any bullet is usually deflected by brush. A good brush gun is one that is fast handeling for quick shot opportunities, again, in my opinion. My Marlin Guide Gun 45/70 with rear peep iron sight works good in the brush for me. My cousin carried a short little .243 Mohawk bolt gun that he used for everything from Beaver to Bucks. He loaded solid lead bullets he had to grease for Beaver and some kind of Sierra boat tail for Deer. He spent lots of time in the brush with that gun.

The problem I have had,and seen in the past is the power lack of confidence in a gun can have. This may be what your buddy is experiencing, might be best to try another gun for a while. He would probably get along with a 30/30 lever gun in the brush also.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:11 AM

45/70 1895 Marlin.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:12 AM

Get a 450 bushmaster if you want a true brush-gun.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:12 AM

My favorite brush gun is whichever one I've got in my hand when I'm out hunting today it was a .30-06

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:21 AM

I told him I believe deflection has everything to do with how far from the target the bullet hits the object ,

like a 1/2 inch branch 20 feet out of the barrel 280 feet from the target chances are that bullet is way off course.

however a 1/2 inch branch 20 feet from the target 280 feet into the flight and there is a decent chance a heavy bullet still makes a hole in that deer.

sort of like shooting through glass , if you shoot a target 6 feet behind glass chances are good for a hit , shoot the glass first with 294 feet to the target chances are slim you hit the target.

he remembers a 38-55 from his youth that he remembers as a deer killing machine iron sights and great in the swamp.

he started asking about if there was round that he could have flat point and pointed bullets in that would be close enough that it wouldn't matter inside 100 yards if he use flat tip bullets for the swamp but was sighted in with the pointed bullets for across hay fields.

I said I could load 180gr flat nose bullets and 180gr pointed bullets in 308 or 30-06 but I don't think that flat vs pointed makes the difference , weight is more likely too. but nothing will not be deflected some by a branch that the bullet hits.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:42 AM

No need to beat a dead horse but nothing will travel a straight path when hitting a twig, briars, grass, etc. They all get deflected. Some more than others but all get deflected nonetheless. Missed a decent buck couple days ago. Both times hit a twig thinner than my pinky and the deer was darned close to where the brush was. Granted, it’s a soft bullet to begin with and I could see where the one fragged and caught several branches but the deer went off unscathed either way. 162 grains wasn’t enough to get there. Doubt another 18 grains would’ve made a difference. Stick to open shots and things go much smoother.

Having said that, several years ago I’d shot a deer through what appeared to be a clear opening. Gun cracked, deer fell. Get to it to find that it was hit in the neck. Sad thing was, I was aiming behind the shoulder. The neck wasn’t even in view due to obstruction. Looking back towards my stand I could see that it clipped 4 small twigs along its path. Weirdest thing ever. Sometimes you get lucky. Just not often enough to make it a worthy venture.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 05:08 AM

On youtube a fellow by the name of Iraqi Veteran ran a test on deflection and keyholing and his tests showed the heavy slugs,such as the 45/70,clearly punched its way thru brush the best.Light,high velocity deflected and key holed more consistantly.I personally use the bigger bores,the 45/70 is my brush gun for white tails.I never bought the idea they can deflect as much or more so than lighter slugs.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 06:18 AM

Savage 99a in 358 or my marlin model 375 in 375 winchester
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 09:38 AM

I like my 1977 Marlin 336 in .35 rem. I like it because its short, fast, reliable but would never expect it to not deflect on any object before my target. I like it even more with the new LeverEvolution ammo.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 10:14 AM

No such thing as a true brush gun. All bullets deflect on brush.ALL
To me it is just a term gun manufacturer's use to sell you another gun.
He's 66, I'd say it's his eyesight, not seeing small objects between him and the deer
Posted By: trapNH

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 10:32 AM

Winchester 94 in 32 special.
Posted By: coop

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:06 AM

X2 on the .450 Bushmaster w/ the 16" barrel.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:07 AM

I have never hunted brush. I hunt animals! I don’t believe in any special gun for shooting through brush in my opinion.
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
I like my 1977 Marlin 336 in .35 rem. I like it because its short, fast, reliable but would never expect it to not deflect on any object before my target. I like it even more with the new LeverEvolution ammo.

X2 on .35 rem

X2 on LeverEvolution.

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

he started asking about if there was round that he could have flat point and pointed bullets in that would be close enough that it wouldn't matter inside 100 yards if he use flat tip bullets for the swamp but was sighted in with the pointed bullets for across hay fields.

I said I could load 180gr flat nose bullets and 180gr pointed bullets in 308 or 30-06 but I don't think that flat vs pointed makes the difference , weight is more likely too. but nothing will not be deflected some by a branch that the bullet hits.

A flat or fat nosed bullet has more surface area to deflect than a pointed spire tip.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:01 PM

When hunting in the bush I prefer a 45/70 simply because shots are most often very close and the round has a habit of dropping them where they stand so I don't have to crawl through thick brush looking for a down deer and then have to drag it through the same
Posted By: Catcollector

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:02 PM

The only time I shoot into brush is at grouse or other small game w/ a shotgun w/ 6's or 7 1/5 shot. To shoot into brush w/ a rifle no gooda, wound deer just a bad scenario... Clear shot clean kill anything else is something else and does a disservice to animal and other hunters as you'll be wasting game. I've heard all the city folks talk this and that... bottom line the only line is the one w/ no brush or obstacles. If you're in a stand you hunt often clear shooting lanes...
Posted By: nightlife

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:08 PM

By the way I used to catch flack from the guys I hunt with because of my choice of hunting gun, they all choose to use 06s, 308 or 300 mag ect in a bolt and I was the only one that used a lever gun of any type and was viewed as being old fashioned and backwards

finally I used the counter of asking them which they would prefer to me hit with a baseball going a hundred or a bowling ball doing 70

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
No such thing as a true brush gun. All bullets deflect on brush.ALL
To me it is just a term gun manufacturer's use to sell you another gun.
He's 66, I'd say it's his eyesight, not seeing small objects between him and the deer

I think that plays part of it , he said his eyes have not been right since they removed the cataracts 2 years ago , he can see much better but eyes are always watering.

I suggested a good pair of safety glasses that wrap around some and keep the wind out of his eyes a bit , he had never shot with glasses on so he said he would have to try that in the off season.

I have been shooting with glasses on for the last 15 years , I find a low power scope better with glasses started buying 2-7x32 scopes to go on my guns the year after I had to start wearing glasses.

shot my buck this year with my 30-06 and 2-7x32 vortex scope 125 yards running hit right were I was holding , he was running at me mostly.

I agree everything is going to deflect , how much and where the deflection starts is the question.

more importantly sometimes when your shooting running deer or deer in brush just having the ability for quick follow up shots is important even better if you can do it without taking your sights off the target.
Posted By: charles

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:32 PM

I have an old 742 in 3006 I bought in 1967. It wears a 1X4 Leupold. Through about 2 1/2X I can keep both eyes open. Rarely take it out anymore. This would get my vote for a brush gun.
Posted By: mrob

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:43 PM

A shotgun with buckshot, I prefer #1.
Posted By: jk

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:51 PM

I like "Feedinggrounds " choice but mine is exactly 20 years older than his. That ammo made my 100 yard gun into almost a 200 yard gun, good stuff......jk
Posted By: trapper les

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 03:55 PM

Model 100 Winchester in .308, open sights. Awesome gun, comes up al natural looking right down the sights. I shot 20 deer of all makes and sizes with it before I scoped a .270 and graduated to something else. As my eyesight was going.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Model 100 Winchester in .308, open sights. Awesome gun, comes up al natural looking right down the sights. I shot 20 deer of all makes and sizes with it before I scoped a .270 and graduated to something else. As my eyesight was going.

Same gun here also.
Only gun i carry when i'm far enough north to shoot centerfire rifles.
Light easy to shoulder and deadly accurate.

.308 is a perfect caliber for my needs.
Posted By: don403

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 05:37 PM

35 rem

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I have an old 742 in 3006 I bought in 1967. It wears a 1X4 Leupold. Through about 2 1/2X I can keep both eyes open. Rarely take it out anymore. This would get my vote for a brush gun.

that was my choice I hunted this year with my 742 in 30-06 2-7x32 vortex scope shot my deer on 2x.

fast follow up shots if they don't drop on the first one , I hate trialing deer . on my deer this year it didn't go down on the first shot although it would have probably in a short distance I couldn't tell that it didn't change speed or direction at the shot , I gave it another after about 2-3 more strides then it fell. entry and exit of both shots were in and out a few inches of each other both 20+ inches of penetration diagonally through the deer.

the down side to the 742 is they have a fairly short service life as far as number of rounds maybe 500 rounds ,but by down loading my hand-loads to 308 velocity 165gr at 2600fps an M1 garand safe 30-06 load I think I have stopped the bolt battering the receiver that eventually ruins the 742 the 7400 addressed this with a hardened liner where the bolt hit ,but that broke bolt lugs at some point the 750 addressed it by making the bolt lugs larger but fewer.

the semi auto is nice but really any 30 cal , 308 or with some weight to carry through an exit wound 160gr or heavier in a gun that points well and is quick to get on target makes brush gun in my mind. could be a lever a pump or if you can run a bolt fast.

the ability to keep the deer in the scope and watch it shot to shot is nice , the rounds I am using in the 742 I never lost sight of the deer.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 07:20 PM

Here there is bound to be a twig or two in the way of most any shot. But its tough to even see 50 yards, so its all short range shooting. Depending on my mood its either a AR 15 in 458 SOCOM or the 94 in 30-30. If i cut myself a shooting lane or two, the 6.5 Grendel gets the nod.
Posted By: waggler

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 09:34 PM

Full auto AK47. Hear a noise in the brush, take a few bursts, and go see what you got. Kind of like Christmas.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 10:02 PM

I know the answer !
One in your hand and chambered to shoot.
That's my favoutitee gun

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
Full auto AK47. Hear a noise in the brush, take a few bursts, and go see what you got. Kind of like Christmas.

Mark, I prefer the Owen grin
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jk
I like "Feedinggrounds " choice but mine is exactly 20 years older than his. That ammo made my 100 yard gun into almost a 200 yard gun, good stuff......jk

I just love them Marlin 336's I am keeping my eyes out for a older 30-30, My .35 I bought new for a Benjamin and a Grant. I made payments at the gun shop till paid for. I was pumping gas and changing tires at our corner Shell station in 1977, think I made $ 2.00 a hour.
Posted By: crowheart

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:31 PM

I pack a Rem. 600 in 350 mag. at times when I have to check fence in the brush. Some times we have big things that might bite you in the brush.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/29/19 11:52 PM

I would hate to be bitten in the brush.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 12:31 AM

Those who dismiss that there are no good "brush guns" due to deflection have never fired a minigun, nor a seawiz. Now those are excellent brush guns.
Seriously, my idea of a good gun to carry while hunting in brushy areas would be something with a short barrel, easy to bring up to battery to get a quick sight picture.
I don't want a scope unless it is a red dot or a compact 1-4 power scope set on '1'.
I don't want a gun which is so heavy that you need a sling.
I won't be attempting to shoot through any brush unless it is within one foot from the deer unless it is buckshot.
My choice would be one of the following:
Ruger 44 magnum carbine with either a red dot scope or a Leupold 1-4 power scope..
Winchester model 94 30-30
Colt Light Weight Sporter in 7.62 X 39.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 02:57 AM

41 Magnum or 454 Casull
Posted By: bblwi

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 03:12 AM

My late uncle who was my main mentor on hunting and fishing used an automatic 35 Remington with a peep sight. It was short and quick to mount and he hunted a lot of what many would call heavy cover where shots were usually close but rarely would one see the whole deer at any one time. Lot of tamerack bog hunting. When I still hunt those areas I take my model 99F Savage 300 with the open sights.

Bryce
Posted By: coalminer

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 03:17 AM

Have 2 Marlins - 336 in .35 Remington, 1958 - 1968 vintage, Remington 760 in .308 , 18” barrel.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 03:26 AM

A M1a SOCOM. It’s always with me. I call it my bear spray.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 03:52 AM

ruger #1 45/70 1-4 leupold on top.

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer
Have 2 Marlins - 336 in .35 Remington, 1958 - 1968 vintage, Remington 760 in .308 , 18” barrel.

a 760 in 308 with an 18 inch barrel , not only is it rare but a near perfect setup. hold onto that one.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 07:48 AM

32 special. Purchased by my dad in the 1940’s. Kilt many a Pennsylvania deer.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 11/30/19 11:07 PM

I bought a Win 94 in 32 Spcl. brand new back in 1963. I loved that gun, even though I recognized a few short comings. The one that I never got over was the tubular magazine and its effect (or my perceived effect) on the ammo in compression. I still loved the gun for brush hunting,but, never was completely satisfied.

I happened to stumble on an old Chinese SKS for less than a song. I fell in love with that thing, sold the '94 and never looked back. It ain't no sniper rifle, but, for what you're asking about, it is a real contender. Even if something were to go wrong on the first shot; the follow up is nearly instantaneous.

Posted By: bulldozerjoe

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 12/01/19 12:39 AM

winchester 30-30 here
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 12/01/19 12:49 AM

I hunt thick mountain laurel all the time the doe I shot today was in it. Like someone else said you have to pick your shot. btw I use a 270

When I used to use a 243, 10 years, I hunted thick laurel
Posted By: EdP

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 12/01/19 01:02 AM

I have 2, one of which I used to kill a nice 8 pt in the woods this year. They are a .444 Marlin and a .62 cal flintlock with 38" swamped barrel. I shot the buck thru some brush from 40 yds with the flintlock. I don't know whether or not any of the brush was hit but it was all within a few feet of the buck. Light brush close to the target won't deflect a slow moving 320 grain round ball off target enough to matter on a deer. The ball broke the upper front leg bone, went thru the near side ribs, the aorta, the far side ribs and stopped just under the skin. I didn't find it until I was fleshing the hide for tanning. The buck ran 30 yds and piled up. Given that my other flintlock deer rifle has a 44" barrel, the .62 is more handy in the brush. I like the .444 in the woods for the way it handles too.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 12/01/19 01:52 PM

Winchester 94 32 Win. Spec. or Dad's 30.06 w/220 grain bullets.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: whats your favorite brush gun? - 12/01/19 02:17 PM

No 351 fans here? I have one I got from my Uncle, I want to kill a deer with. Looks like the perfect brush gun, light, compact, 6 quick shots, unless your lucky enough to have the 10 or 15 round mags
© 2024 Trapperman Forums