Home

What's your favorite arrow for brush?

Posted By: Catcollector

What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 03:06 PM

I'm having a hard time w/ deflection making 50 yard brush shots at running deer w/ my bow! What am I doing wrong? 12 arrows later I still haven't connected... I'm not serious brush shots are unethical w/ any weapon in my opinion, minus maybe a mini gun like the movie Predator where you actually mow the brush down w/ sheer volume of bullets but that's more Hollywood than practical I would think?
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 03:12 PM

I've found explosive tipped arrows to be the best. As far as shafts go, any decent carbon shaft should be good. You might Google Rambo for some live action video of effectiveness.
Posted By: imissed

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 03:34 PM

Whats the problem???

The problem is you trying 50 yard running shots at running deer in brush!!!

End of story!!

And hopefully the end of you doing that!!
Posted By: MnMan

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I've found explosive tipped arrows to be the best. As far as shafts go, any decent carbon shaft should be good. You might Google Rambo for some live action video of effectiveness.

^^^^
This, but you must learn to lead them well and let the explosive tip do it's job of clearing the brush first. Be ready for a quick follow up shot with a more conventional shaft.
Posted By: KansasAce

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 03:53 PM

Typically when Legal salmon are caught better with two out side lines with planer boards set at 15 degrees, and your inner two lines should be downrigged to run approximately 15 feet below the outer two lines. Trolling speed usually should be kept under 3.5 mph. Good luck.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by imissed
Whats the problem???

The problem is you trying 50 yard running shots at running deer in brush!!!

End of story!!

And hopefully the end of you doing that!!

This! 50 yards is a long shot with a bow. 50 yards on a running deer is unethical. Mechanical heads will not help you. Hunting technique and stealth must be practiced and successfully executed so that you can make the shot before they bolt.
Posted By: mrob

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:12 PM

Keep doing what you’re doing. The satisfaction you feel when you finally connect will be worth the hundreds of dollars in lost arrows and broadheads. To reduce the chance of deflection you should switch to field points.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:13 PM

I'm guessing the OP was making humor out of another recent post on deflection. Just a guess.

Pete

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:40 PM

Yeah Pete, I'm spoofn, I'd never take a brush shot! That is a great idea though explosive head to clear the brush in front and follow thru w/ the kill shot. I bet the concussion of the grenade would freeze them in their tracks better than a grunt or whistle!
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:55 PM

Easton recently came out with brush cutter arrows. They start at 60,000 grains, and sport counter rotating circular saw blades. The CR blades completely eliminate deflection, while striking brush of up to 3” diameter. The only issue is, due to Black Friday sales, stock is depleted!!! And yes, I’m only spoof’n too.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 04:59 PM

I like the spoofs. Everybody's always looking for and edge and we have technology to get things done now.

I'm pretty sensitive to looking for brush on rifle shots, but I've trimmed a lot of trees shooting mallards and wood ducks in floodwater.

Pete

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 05:01 PM

Wish I had the patent on that! I could see the counter rotating to the inside would stabilize in flight and help center to the thickest brush where the game is most likely to take cover! Brilliant!

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 05:04 PM

Yeah small game and shotguns no problem, rifles and arrows big game, no way...
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 06:30 PM

You need to get two other guys to hunt with you and hunt with a 3 man ballista crossbow with a 10 foot spear. It will punch through that pesky brush.

Keith
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 07:20 PM

30- 30 shaft works good. I really like the 300 hornady sabot shaft. SST model. the sst stands for
S -short
S - shaft
T -terminal

works great in brush out of my Mossberg 500 series long bow !!!!!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
30- 30 shaft works good. I really like the 300 hornady sabot shaft. SST model. the sst stands for
S -short
S - shaft
T -terminal

works great in brush out of my Mossberg 500 series long bow !!!!!

I have a similar bow. Works pretty good.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/29/19 08:30 PM

For running deer in the brush Rambo and I use the same arrow tip.
Posted By: Zim

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/30/19 12:31 AM

A few years back I used to shoot quite a few archery 3-D tournaments and so forth.
One of my favorites was at the Sauk Prairie bow club where ya climbed into an elevated stand
and then had your choice of shooting at a turkey gobbler target at 50 plus yards or a pig that was mounted on a wire
trolley that went zipping by you at about 35 mph but only 20 yards away.
Those were some fun times.

Zim
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/30/19 01:05 AM

One thing I hate more than a brush shot naysayer is a quitter.
Is using just DPs the best way to catch most of the raccoons? No. Some of them aren't hungry. So should you abandon using them? No. Just set more of them.
Synonymously, is shooting arrows through brush at running deer at 50 yards the best way to kill deer? No. Some of the deer don't show up where the arrow goes through. You just need to buy more arrows.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What's your favorite arrow for brush? - 11/30/19 01:15 AM

I'd load your brush cutter fiberglassAlumaCarbon shafts into the 410 barrel before attaching the punch cutter blades. You dont need to lead the deer by more than a nose that way. wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums