Home

Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 02:52 AM

So looking for a good respirator that can fit under an average welding hood. I do end up asking on galvanized stuff ( mainly tack welding stuff like cattle pannel ) but mainly what I want is somthing that will help with general welding fumes from getting in my lungs or at least mitigate what does. So any suggestions?
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 02:58 AM

I know when I bought my Lincoln helmet two years ago the guy at Huber’s said Lincoln had a really good unit I didn’t buy one because I don’t really need one but should probably have one.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 03:33 AM

Maybe a positive pressure helmet might work. Sure you can get them in auto darkening for welding. We use them at work for dust. They are the ticket if you have to wear for periods at a time.
Posted By: TAtrap

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 04:36 AM

I have a Miller LPR-100 half mask respirator that works good. Its the best option I've found without stepping up to a PAPR. I also try to run a fan blowing at my back when welding anything like galvy.
Posted By: gman

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 11:24 AM

I have a Miller LPR-100 half mask respirator that works good. Its the best option I've found without stepping up to a PAPR. I also try to run a fan blowing at my back when welding anything like galvy.

Same here-just ordered 2 new ones on Sat.
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 12:00 PM

I have a 3m half mask that takes the pink pancake filters. I'll try to get the part numbers this afternoon. It has worked for me when I was exposed to galvanized fumes, smoke from welding, grinding rust, things like that. Proper fitment is important. You'llhave to try and figure out what size you'll need or get a fit test.
Also to note, I use a fiber metal pipeliner hood. It's pretty narrow and I've had no issues with clearance.
Posted By: Brett Thomas

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 12:00 PM

respirator for welding

That website is to welding as trapperman.com is to trapping. A lot of good info
Posted By: cotton

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/02/19 12:08 PM

all the welders where i was working has fresh air hood and the whole shop is piped with fresh air
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/03/19 02:09 PM

I use a 3M, but don't use the pink dust filters, use the 2297 filters, they are for welding. You should be wearing it anytime time you're welding, or grinding, not just galvanized. Once those metal oxides cross the blood brain barrier they are there for good.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Welders : under hood respirator suggestions ? - 12/03/19 03:05 PM

if you or the company can afford it the positive pressure is the way to go the air circulating in the mug is a bonus in humid conditions I don't believe that pretty yellow and green smoke getting in your eyes does any good either fans set up helps and the throw away masks with a exhaust valve are good for grinding
© 2024 Trapperman Forums