Home

Best bait for DPs to exclude cats

Posted By: vegasjim

Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 02:05 AM

Any secret baits? Lady would crap if I caught her cat. Thanks
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 02:13 AM

marshmallow. marshmallows covered with strawberry jello powder. marshmallows covered with strawberry jello powder and put in a bag or container and mix cheap imitation vanilla on them. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Art S

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 02:33 AM

Sweet feed for cattle with a drop of coon candy on top ,
put a solo cup over it , the cats shouldn't bother them .
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 02:50 AM

Agree with marshmallows. The mini marshmallows worked best for me. A couple under the trigger, a couple above the trigger, and a couple on the ground by the do.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 02:59 AM

Sweets or grains.

Coons are omnivores with a sweet tooth.

Cat are carnivores without a sweet tooth.
Posted By: 2Trackmaster

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 07:46 AM

I have had excellent luck with the bait ADC (member on T Man) sells called it’s called Trail Mix . I use it in Dp’s around this livestock farm/homestead I trap. A little background the farm has 2 houses with little kids that have what seems like a 100 house/farm cats running around. The farm is a coon trappers gold mine calving barns and feed lots all around the houses. They calve around 200 hundred Cows that are brought home to calve for the winter and they feed calves year around. A lot of times on the weekends the 2 little boys go with me to check the traps along with a few cats tagging along with the boys ! I swear between the boys and their sisters and cousins they have all the cats named! Typically when I pull in their chocolate lab will be baying a coon in a trap somewhere. So they don't want any cats or dogs caught to say the least. it will probably happen one of these days ! Law of averages will catch up. I been doing it for right at 7 years now and have not caught any dogs or cats. ADC’s bait will pull those coons off of a abundance of all types of food the coons have to eat. Sorry for getting long winded
Posted By: Bandit402

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 08:47 AM

Have had good luck using Fruit Loops.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 10:05 AM

Fruit loops here, too. Anything fruit, or marshmellows..steer clear of anything like fish, or cat food, or dog food. Had good luck with cracked corn and a fruity type lure too.
Dried Banana chips and other dried fruits work too, even raisins. Caught a few on dried apricots and cherries.
You get the theme though...use something generally not attractive to cats.
Other option is to use them out a little in shallow water at water sets.
Just think more coon than cat locations and water would be a big separator between them.
Jim
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 11:01 AM

I trap several near by farms and I have yet to catch a cat in a DP with a pull trigger- I usually bait with dry cat food or catfish pellets (maybe I've been lucky). Making sure your triggers are not "Push Pull" and heeding some of the non target bait suggestions above will hopefully help.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 04:09 PM

Jim, I like a chunk of home dried apple impaled on the trigger. I get a few Grey's in them but never a cat.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2Trackmaster
I have had excellent luck with the bait ADC (member on T Man) sells called it’s called Trail Mix . I use it in Dp’s around this livestock farm/homestead I trap. A little background the farm has 2 houses with little kids that have what seems like a 100 house/farm cats running around. The farm is a coon trappers gold mine calving barns and feed lots all around the houses. They calve around 200 hundred Cows that are brought home to calve for the winter and they feed calves year around. A lot of times on the weekends the 2 little boys go with me to check the traps along with a few cats tagging along with the boys ! I swear between the boys and their sisters and cousins they have all the cats named! Typically when I pull in their chocolate lab will be baying a coon in a trap somewhere. So they don't want any cats or dogs caught to say the least. it will probably happen one of these days ! Law of averages will catch up. I been doing it for right at 7 years now and have not caught any dogs or cats. ADC’s bait will pull those coons off of a abundance of all types of food the coons have to eat. Sorry for getting long winded

Wow! Thank you for the testimonial. We do have great success with this bait as well.

~ADC~
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 05:16 PM

I had a similar situation at a farm with lots of cats. The guy was single and loved his cats. I used DPs with miniature marshmallows. Scatter a few on the ground by the DP. You don't need anything but the marshmallows. Never caught a single cat. I did catch a couple skunks and one possum, though. shocked
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 05:50 PM

Another vote for ADC's trail mix and trailing lure
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by vegasjim
Any secret baits? Lady would crap if I caught her cat. Thanks

[Linked Image]

Been using this for years around dumpsters where cats live . NEVER caught one
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 07:48 PM

sweet baits for sure will help as will pull only triggers. I get cats in my pull only but I believe they are more resistant to cats than push-pull.

Bryce
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 09:00 PM

It all depends if the cats are fed table scraps.
A table fed cat will eat anything I swear.
just
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Best bait for DPs to exclude cats - 12/04/19 11:00 PM

I had good luck with fruit-flavored gummy lifesavers. Put a couple on the trigger and loop one over the lip of the trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums