Home

Miter saw recommendations

Posted By: goldnut

Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 07:43 PM

My son in law would like one for Christmas. He just needs one for home use not for a job or anything. I am thinking a slide miter type but would like to hear what you guys have and like. Thanks Ken
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 07:53 PM

I bought a craftsman slider $200ish about 10yrs ago. I've used it on all of my trim and even used to cut all my deck boards. Buddy used it for his deck boards also. I can't begin to think about all the other stuff. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I've really liked my slider. If I was a contractor, I would have bought a better one, but can't complain with the use I have gotten. It owes me nothing.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 08:20 PM

I have a Dewalt sliding compound miter box. Use it all the time, I would buy another but don't think I'll ever need to.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 08:28 PM

I recently upgraded to a big Kobalt double bevel laser sliding compound miter saw. Probably had three or four more things in the name really. It is a turd. Had troubles with the switch on it numerous times been sent back and got it back with a new switch with the same issue as the old one. Now the switch does not work at all and you need to plug and in plug it to use it. Super nice.
Posted By: charles

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 08:57 PM

Get him the stand as well, if he has room.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:00 PM

i've had an hitachi for about 5 years - used a bunch around the house for projects with no issues
Posted By: Bill from NJ

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:01 PM

My wife pushed me into Purchasing a DeWalt Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw a few years ago.

I have used it to cut everything from Crown molding, base boards, trim of all sizes and styles.

There are hundreds of uses just for around the house. My wife can attest!
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:05 PM

I have a Ryobi sliding and have been buying their tools lately. They still have the Black Friday deal on it now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:18 PM

I have a craftsman 7 1/2 inch sliding compound miter saw. I got and use it for running trim work. If I was going to get one for doing more work I would get a sliding double compound miter with a 12 inch blade. I've only used Dewalt in this size.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 09:27 PM

I've used a 12" dewalt a lot and have no complaints.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 10:51 PM

Another vote for the Dewalt. I have a 12" dual compound slider that is 15-20 years old and sees regular use on the job. My contractor buddies tell me the newer ones are just as good.

The stand is also a good investment, I love mine. I used to lug it around and would always joke that,"It's a good thing they (miter saw and table saw) are portable or moving them would kick my arse."

They all suck at dust collection, That's why I invested in the hood. It's a Rousseau 5000, money well-spent.

The pics are from a 2nd floor master bed and bath remodel. We had just put the oak floor in and finished it the prior week. The miter saw and table saw stands made getting the saws up and down much easier and the hood was a must.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 10:55 PM

Milwaukee also makes an awesome cordless 18V mitre saw but they are proud of them.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 11:22 PM

I have a Delta it's not a sliding one but it is a beast
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/04/19 11:36 PM

I have a non sliding Hitachi and use Piranha blades on it. I lent it to the marina to build around 500feet of floating docks and. It picture frames with it. It’s accurate on the miter and bevel cuts to a T has a laser that is pretty much on as well and does not break the bank either
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 12:47 AM

Milwaukee sliding compound mitre saw, great saw, going on 21 years, bullet proof!
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 01:05 AM

Most of the big name saws are going to be good quality, mostly you get what you pay for.

I replaced an18 year old Makita last year with the Dewalt flex volt, and absolutely love it ! For me having the ability to use the saw with out the generator on a job without power is a joy. As is setting it up where ever I want without cords.

Anyhow, some things to consider, double bevel is nice in tight spaces. A lighted saw is great when you have limited lighting near the saw. Read the specs on the saw as some are more capable that other as far as size of boards they will cut.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 02:04 AM

Cordless tools are the best thing since chunky pnut butter
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 02:12 AM

I also dated a girl named chunky pnut butter. I doubt the same one but you.never know.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 02:46 AM

I have a dewalt that is 20 years old that the slide arm wore out from cement board siding and it still is in use at the cabin. It is a ten inch.
Replaced it with a rigid 12 in 4 years ago because of price and warranty
It miters left and right
Posted By: old243

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 02:50 AM

Miter saws are also great for cutting , deer legs into dog bones, do up a box full and keep them in the freezer. old243
Posted By: Fairchild #17

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 04:12 AM

Dewalt 780 Compound slider and mount it to a Ridgid SUV miter saw stand.
The stand is much, much better than the dewalt stand.

The new dewalt 780 are so tight and precise I couldn't imagine anything being any better.
Full time contractor and I use it from everything from PT 6x6 to delicate trim work. My only complaint is that the dust exhaust throat is way to small and clogs up constantly. My Rigid saw has a big throat, but the tolerances of that saw are sub par.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bill from NJ
My wife pushed me into Purchasing a DeWalt Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw a few years ago.

I have used it to cut everything from Crown molding, base boards, trim of all sizes and styles.

There are hundreds of uses just for around the house. My wife can attest!

Several reviews on youtube show that to be awesome. Right now, I think the best one going is the Bosch slider.
Posted By: John C

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 12:20 PM

I’ve got a 12” Bosch dual bevel sliding compound miter and love it. It’s a beast. A good stand is just as important.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 12:22 PM

Got the 12" Dewalt double bevel sliding miter saw.Not much you cant do with it.
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Miter saw recommendations - 12/05/19 03:51 PM

Have used the new Bosch for several years, and I’m not impressed. It’s bulky, heavy, and not as smooth as a Dewalt. It only betters the Dewalt by offering tighter to the wall clearance. The flex volt give you a plug in option for nearly the same price. As for stands, the heavy duty chop saw stand Dewalt makes is the best in my opinion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums