Home

Setting Chain and Cable Stakes

Posted By: yukonal

Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:18 PM

Seriously, how important do you guys think it is, to manually pull up on, to "set" a cable or chain stake?

I threw my back out last week, setting one (and I don't go crazy when I do because of back issues). When I told a buddy about it, he said "I just let the coyotes set them for me". That makes a lot of sense to me.

Really, when a coyote...or whatever canine starts pulling on, and fighting the trap, isn't the stake going to get set anyway? Can any of you guys give an example of when failure to "set" a stake caused an animal to pull the whole rig out of the ground?

From now on, I'll "set" the stakes in loose sandy soil...just to make sure, but I don't really see the need to set the stake in clay or heavier soils.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:22 PM

I have often wondered that same thing but set them just to make sure they'll hold.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:23 PM

I had an end drive off this year, new (wolf fang). If i didn't set it , i'd never have known. Set them stakes or loose the trap and animal.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:25 PM

I think this one really depends on the area you are trapping. I set some of mine to make sure i found good ground. We have a good amount of dry sand here with a hard layer of clay at varying depths. If i set an anchor 12"'s and it goes in pretty easy i check to make sure it is not just sand. 12" in sand and they just pull out too easy for me to trust. Now if i am driving them and I have to get the big hammer i clip my trap on and roll. No need to test if i have a hernia or not.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:26 PM

I only set them when the ground is questionably soft. I can tell when i drive in the pilot hole. I have never had one fail...yet. Ive had them almost dug up and some pulled out a little further than i like but not fail. I drive my anchor totally underground so if i set them i have a tag end to deal with when bedding so i only set them when i question the integrity of the dirt.
Posted By: Tim64

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:28 PM

1 in a hundred will pull out when you set them. If you don't mind those odds, don't set them.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 08:50 PM

Have yet to set a fang never had one pull out yet I cut an run to save my back and yes drivers bend in frozen ground.

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 09:00 PM

I'm using both MB Chain Stakes, and Wolf Fangs on 1/8" cable. The only thing that ever even moves, is if I'm on one of my farms that has "looser" sand...then I can feel the stake set...after it drifts up a bit. Even the firm sand farms are hard enough, you can't hardly get a stake to set. And the hard soil farms...well, I can't get the stake end to turn, no matter how hard I pull.

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just go back to cross staking. Sure easier to pull, when it's time. shocked

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 09:08 PM

Not much for rocks here but just getting the driver out is sometimes a challenge. The weld on tip weld spot is even harder to pull.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 09:19 PM

Like others have said two different times this season I have lost the ends of wolf fangs I assume because they cable is getting sheared off on rocks in the ground. if I hadn't have pulled up to set it the next animal that stepped in that trap would have taken the Trap and whole thing with them still on their foot
Posted By: red mt

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 09:50 PM

Al all I do is take trap in my hand give it a little slack and pop the chain couple times to make sure I did not shear of the stake end good to go.
Note get below the frozen ground or it will not set well .
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Like others have said two different times this season I have lost the ends of wolf fangs I assume because they cable is getting sheared off on rocks in the ground. if I hadn't have pulled up to set it the next animal that stepped in that trap would have taken the Trap and whole thing with them still on their foot

Same here except it was a super stake with a welded S hook. Gave it a good pull and the next thing I knew I was landing on my butt! First one I’ve ever used so my confidence is a bit shaken.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 10:09 PM

While all y'all are right about stakes in good ground I can't in good conscience not make a set without making sure or making sure on all remakes. But I'm slightly anal about some things.

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/04/19 10:29 PM

I drove stakes in places that looked like a J when I pulled them I remember driving a stake in Missouri was like settled by a gravel pit hammer it in and either pull it right out of leave it there. Here until the hard Frost sets in the range work the best.
Posted By: redhillstrapper

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/05/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I drove stakes in places that looked like a J when I pulled them I remember driving a stake in Missouri was like settled by a gravel pit hammer it in and either pull it right out of leave it there. Here until the hard Frost sets in the range work the best.

That's why I had to switch to the super stakes ends. Our ground is hard enough 1 in 4 would just bend in a J around the driver, then driver and all was stuck.

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/05/19 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by red mt
Al all I do is take trap in my hand give it a little slack and pop the chain couple times to make sure I did not shear of the stake end good to go.
Note get below the frozen ground or it will not set well .

I like that idea, Ken. It's either gonna pop out...or stay put.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/05/19 02:49 PM

Something else to think on a side note for this. a lot of folks don't pull cable stakes to set just because they do not want to have the cable end poking around their set. I switched partially to chained fangs this year. I will never use cable stakes again really. I can put the anchor at any depth and then just deal with a little bit of chain. so much easier to work with. For those in harder ground i assume the super stakes are the same with chains. no fraying or cut cables on rocks and no poking in the air crap.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/05/19 04:22 PM

The first year i used them, i thought i would just let the coyotes set them for me. Everything worked out but when i was pulling sets, one that i hadn't connected on pulled right out and didn't set at all. I check them all now.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Setting Chain and Cable Stakes - 12/05/19 05:21 PM

I set every stake I put in the ground. Two seconds and a quick pull is worth knowing that I'm not gonna lose my trap and catch.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums