Home

Check this fur folks

Posted By: Osky

Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 12:20 PM

A fellow discussed this with me he shot it yesterday. I see no guard hairs and patches of long hair missing on the flanks. We're it spring I'd say maybe rubbing but for this time of the year it sure looks like the onset of mange. Am I wrong? [Linked Image]
Osky
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 12:45 PM

I dont think thats mange. I suspect the same worms that make your dog scootch his butt on the ground.
Posted By: Nativetrapper10

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 02:04 PM

to me its hard to tell if hes really rubbed out that hard or if hes matted down with feces or mud or whatever. doesnt look like mange to me though, ususally his whole belly would go pink before he started loosing hair to mange
Posted By: squacks

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 02:57 PM

I caught this one in December a couple years ago and don't think it had a guard hair one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 03:02 PM

The top one would grade wooly.
It looks kind of rough with the bad spots on it.

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 03:06 PM

Thanks guys. When shooting and I kill one like this I clip what I need to get paid but take the carcass nowhere.
Good to know.

Osky
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 05:00 PM

I would call it a rubbed coyote. Coyotes can be rubbed anytime of the year. Rubbing is a result of fleas or from anything else that may be causing the irritation.

I agree, it wouldn't of been brought home with me.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/05/19 09:37 PM

Genetics is my guess I get one every couple years seem healthy with the exception of no guard hair
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 12:53 AM

I think almost all Eastern coyotes have at least some domestic dog genetics and it can make their fur strange.

Keith
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 12:58 AM

I see mange on the base of the tail. Not the reason no guard hair though. Could be Sampson of sorts.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:32 AM

he good thing is that's it's genetics is out of the pool...

That's what you call...Dead Prime. and a nothing Butt.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:41 AM

Osky...more fur on that one than every coyote in this county down here combined lol

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Osky...more fur on that one than every coyote in this county down here combined lol

That's not very encouraging for you folks. Shot on a big spread out by eagle pass some years ago and I thought those were pretty decent.

Osky

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:48 AM

This coyote came fron Washington state, the guy says they've shot others like it this time of year.

Osky

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I see mange on the base of the tail. Not the reason no guard hair though. Could be Sampson of sorts.

I,noticed the tail also but held comment because I can't see enough of the base to really say.

Osky
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 02:59 AM

Impossible to grade a coyote from a pic. Bad enough trying to grade one on the carcass, They always look different when put up! Did you see the yote, Osky?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by squacks
I caught this one in December a couple years ago and don't think it had a guard hair one.
[Linked Image]

This looks like a classic example of a "samson" coyote. I've seen a few samson fox, but never seen a samson coyote. It's a genetic trait that results in no guard hair. A hunter of mine shot a samson brown bear a few falls ago. It wasn't a rubbed bear, it was shot in the fall season and didn't have a guard hair on it, just soft underfur.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 10:43 AM

Mange. This one was same way and i tossed it. No mane, no long guard hair, just thick under fur only.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 11:06 AM

lice??
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 01:06 PM

Worms, bugs or start of mange
Posted By: Range

Re: Check this fur folks - 12/06/19 01:28 PM

I got one with no guard hair a couple years ago . Nice thick fur without any guard hair. Healthy coyote with plenty of fat. It was kind of cool. I asked the NAFA pickup guy about it when I dropped off my fur. He said he sees a few like that,and they don’t sell well. I shipped it anyway.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums